The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

i just realized how dependent i am on mako

xioix

I found Mako really nice companion for shieldech tank, maybe I kill little bit slower then dps specs, but I can do it without breaks for rest, and circling around mobs. It's a shame I can't use Blizz, this companion for powertech is useless :confused:

I've been for some reason, gearing out all my companions. Mako, Gault, and Torian all have full level 50 gear (with Mako and Gault having the 8 daily commendation barrels. I can't find anything better then a crappy level 50 green weapon for Torian)

I guess I get tired of seeing Mako all the time (Although she is in the imperial dancer outfit so that's a plus? lulz).

I don't mind a bit of downtime between battles, that 5 secs or so, so I am enjoying using the DPS companions. Same level 50 Elites die with me just above half health and quick.

The only downside is if I do not pay attention to my surroundings and a wandering pat comes in or my tab targeting decided to pick something not so friendly and not so near my current group i'm attacking.

As a Powertech though, I still can't find a reason to use Blizz or Skadge. Maybe if I was Full DPS? Dunno, not sure how well their general survivability is.

I mainly only use Skadge. While leveling it's mainly because I never get tired of the **** he says and he is just awesome in conversations. But being able to give him my old gear made him pretty darn good. I now always keep him with me in DPS mode and he has no problem ripping apart pocket healer companions while I kill players in Open World PvP. He doesn't hit as hard as Gault but he is also not squishy, so if someone tries to take him down before me, they are pretty much screwed. I find Mako's heals to not be worth it at end-game, especially with how squishy she is, she just gets focused and killed. For PvE though she is more useful indeed, because you get less downtime, but I still prefer Skadge for his **** talking. :D

I know armormechs can make, if they can acquire the patterns, the master craft techblade and techstaff. I really want Torian to have a blade over a staff. I wanted to use someone other than Mako, but like others have said, you (universal) seem to end up gearing Mako faster because she's the first companion. When I started gearing up Torian he was clearing out trash mobs and getting n the hard pretty quick. All-in-all a good geared up dps companion is equal if not superior in killing time + recharge/reload, than killing stuff with Mako healing and having no further downtime. Make sense?

It's still a challenge as a shieldtech to take on elites with Torian, but if I manage my defenses, I can still do it, and a little circle strafing always helps. The biggest thing I've learned about elites is interrupts. I use my electro-dart, interrupt (can remember the ability) and carbonize to keep them from getting off as many abilities as possible.

I'm level 34 right now and there are only a few select situations where I have been reliant on Mako or any companion. I would say 95% of the time I run without a companion as it's a bit more of a challenge and I can level my crew skills faster (or try to get more money through Slicing). At this point soloing Strong enemies will usually leave me at around 50-60% HP. I can take on two but it usually requires all my cooldowns to do. It's definitely getting tougher but is still pretty manageable to solo.

Been leveling as a Shield Tech the whole time.

Oh, nice. There is a Heroic 4 Daily on Belsavis that gives Companion weapons (however the Techblade and Techstaff are Blue, the rest are fully moddable). (and a daily commendation)

And it's soloable...

Looks like I'll get to give Torian another shot at pewpew.

I would say 99.9% of the time I run with Gault, I only get Mako out if there's an elite that i fail taking out the first time.

Never used Skadge and only got Blizz out once. Tried Torien but I hate him (personality wise).