SWTOR and Health Problems

coruscantdweller

I love this game. I've been playing since January of 2012. However, I have a lot of health problems and I haven't been able to play hardly any PC games in recent years.

I want to experience all the content this game has to offer, but no MMO lasts forever, and I fear that I won't get around to finishing every storyline. I'm not suggesting that SWTOR is going away anytime soon. The game and its community appear healthy. But I don't know when I will get around to playing this or any other game, and I don't want to miss out.

If EA makes an offline version of SWTOR when the servers go down for good and they sell it on Steam, I will eat nothing but canned beans for two months so I can pay $500 for it.

If EA makes an offline version of SWTOR and they sell it on GOG, they can have my $500 and my left kidney.

I

If EA makes an offline version of SWTOR when the servers go down for good and they sell it on Steam, I will eat nothing but canned beans for two months so I can pay $500 for it.

If EA makes an offline version of SWTOR and they sell it on GOG, they can have my $500 and my left kidney.

This is never going to happen. Not ever.

This is never going to happen. Not ever.

Do you have any argument to support this theory?

I , for one, would also appreciate having offine version of this game, when on-line ends. (I hope not soon, I have been here for, gosh..7 years?) And I do not think it is actually imposssible to make.

So WHY NOT?

Edited by Przemo_No

Do you have any argument to support this theory?

I , for one, would also appreciate having offine version of this game, when on-line ends. (I hope not soon, I have been here for, gosh..7 years?) And I do not think it is actually imposssible to make.

So WHY NOT?

Because while you, me and the OP are here for 7 years, we aren't so many people. So, it is not economically viable. If it is not economically viable EA won't do it even if it would prevent a meteor from hitting Earth. Edited by fatsi

Cause they would only ever release it on Origin. They would never release it on Steam or GOG.

Also the chances of them releasing an offline version are dramatically low.

I would actually be fine with them releasing an offline version of SWTOR on Origin. GOG would be ideal, Steam would be great, and while Origin would not be ideal, it would be much better than nothing.

I have an Origin account, though I have never actually installed the client or bought any games through it. Offline SWTOR would give me a reason to do both, and while I was at it, I would probably buy all the Mass Effect games too.

I would imagine that there is much resistance among many people to installing yet another game store client, so releasing a niche game on that platform might not be good business sense. In fact, Origin's existence might not be good business sense for the same reason, but EA would know better than I would, because they know how many copies of Mass Effect 3 they've sold.

In any case, if EA releases offline SWTOR someday, I will throw money at them, even if I have to do it through Origin.

Because while you, me and the OP are here for 7 years, we aren't so many people. So, it is not economically viable. If it is not economically viable EA won't do it even if it would prevent a meteor from hitting Earth.

My logic was that if the game stops to be economically viable, they shut down the servers.

So why not to earn some more money by releasing offiline version?

I do not get it. They are known for milking every penny from everyone/everywhere, so why would they pass on such an opportunity?

Also,not sure what is the issue with the "platform" - I could not care less, which one.

I used to buy games on CD or DVD discs :)

Gosh, I even remeber loading the games from cassette tape!

Yes, I am THAT OLD.

My logic was that if the game stops to be economically viable, they shut down the servers.

So why not to earn some more money by releasing offiline version?

I do not get it. They are known for milking every penny from everyone/everywhere, so why would they pass on such an opportunity?

I think EA's logic might be "It costs money to convert SWTOR into an offline game, and even if we turn a profit doing that, we still could have spent that money making a different game that is even more profitable."

However, I do agree with your logic over what I just wrote. The amount they would need to spend converting SWTOR into an offline game would be so small that the opportunity cost of doing so would be minimal, and they could then milk the finished product for a decade or more without putting any additional work into it. Big companies love hearing the phrase "milk a product for years with no additional work" so it makes perfect sense for EA to do this.

Of course, we're thinking pretty far ahead here, given that the game is healthy and EA is already milking the Cartel Market, and I'm more than happy to be milked in the meantime for a chance to continue playing this great game. But as I mentioned in my original post, I don't have a lot of time or energy to play games right now, and SWTOR is a gem like no other that I don't want to miss out on.

Other gamers may have had different experiences, but EA has given me no reason to hate them and I would love to throw money at them for an offline version of SWTOR if/when the servers shut down, even if it means I install Origin.