Tank question

Vennumz

I have a Jedi Guardian AND a Jedi Shadow as tanks. Do I need to build them differently or the same really? What stat should I focus on...Endurance, Shield Rating, or Defense Rating?

PS: Which one is better to stack more of..Shield Rating or Defense Rating?

For defense rating, using "optimal" mods is well over whats needed for even guardians (the defense tank). I personally opt for lethal b mods with bastion/bulwark enhancements (all crafted because my luck with the crates is apparently horrible).i use the crafted dps relics with endurance and obviously shield/absorb augs.

For my guardians my shield ends up being about 2k, with fairly balanced shield and absorb, slightly favoring shield.

My shadow is still running 230 gear because I dont play him enough to bother throwing a full optimized set together. (I.e. if I'm running unbolstered content, its on my guardians or VG, shadow being my least favorite tank personally).

Edit: i noticed you didn't mention absorb in your final question. For guardians generally def > shield > absorb but in reality def rating is well over what is needed. Make shield and absorb close, favoring shield, and you'll be fine for most content.

Edited by KendraP

For defense rating, using "optimal" mods is well over whats needed for even guardians (the defense tank). I personally opt for lethal b mods with bastion/bulwark enhancements (all crafted because my luck with the crates is apparently horrible).i use the crafted dps relics with endurance and obviously shield/absorb augs.

For my guardians my shield ends up being about 2k, with fairly balanced shield and absorb, slightly favoring shield.

My shadow is still running 230 gear because I dont play him enough to bother throwing a full optimized set together. (I.e. if I'm running unbolstered content, its on my guardians or VG, shadow being my least favorite tank personally).

Edit: i noticed you didn't mention absorb in your final question. For guardians generally def > shield > absorb but in reality def rating is well over what is needed. Make shield and absorb close, favoring shield, and you'll be fine for most content.

Ahhh..interesting, thanks for the input cause I'm not sure what I'm doing as far as building him is concerned. And I didn't really mention Absorb rating cause...well if my Shield rating is so low than if I had an awesome Absorb rating then it wouldn't matter cause I would rarely absorb any blows so I just assumed Shield Rating was what you would want.

But ok...go for for Defense Rating mostly and keep Shield and Absorb close. Gives me something to go for.

But ok...go for for Defense Rating mostly and keep Shield and Absorb close. Gives me something to go for.

Actually, that is the opposite of what you need to do. There is too much defense in default tank gear. You want to get rid of it and get yourself down around 2k. Look for enhancements with higher endurance and lower defense. You can craft them, or, if you are lucky, they drop from crates.

Shield and absorb should be near each other with a slight preference to shield.

At 248/236 augs, my tanks runs about 1879 shield and 1876 absorb, and 2035 defense.

I have shadow tanks and also have healers. From this perspective for PvE:

Sub-70 just use what the game gives you, with bolster there's no point fussing with builds yet.

At 70 don't worry about defense - anything over 2000 is fine. If you have over 3000 defense, that is pointless, wasted stats. Endurance does matter, extra hitpoints give the hots more time to tick so you're better off with the lethal B or warding B 246 mods than using the 248 non-lettered ones.

For shield/absorb just keep stacking them until you're over 1500 points on both, a bit more shield than absorb.