Empire to Republic - Republic to Empire?

Vennumz

I apologize if this question has been asked a billion times already.

I know it doesn't show up in the class stories but maybe in the expansions...does it ever let your light side Sith turn Jedi or at least work for the Republic in secret?? Or Vice versa ? Can my dark side Jedi eventually work for the Empire in secret or turn Sith? I know it's impossible to switch sides but is there a story scene somewhere in the expansions that further explore this or allow this to happen??

I apologize if this question has been asked a billion times already.

I know it doesn't show up in the class stories but maybe in the expansions...does it ever let your light side Sith turn Jedi or at least work for the Republic in secret?? Or Vice versa ? Can my dark side Jedi eventually work for the Empire in secret or turn Sith? I know it's impossible to switch sides but is there a story scene somewhere in the expansions that further explore this or allow this to happen??

It's complicated.

In the War on Iokath segment that follows after Knights of the Eternal Empire, you are railroaded by the narrative structure into aligning/allying yourself with one of the two factions. (During Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne, you end up being "Commander" of a sort of "third faction".) You can choose whichever faction suits your internal narrative for the character.

At the end of the Nathema Conspiracy segment (some time after War on Iokath), you are presented with another opportunity to decide, and you can change your mind. This occurs at the very end of the story that has been released so far, so it's really just a choice, with no current consequences.

In the up-coming 5.10 update (next month), you will be able to choose *again*, and this choice "sticks". If you choose to align yourself against your home faction, according to the livestream of a few weeks ago, you become a "Saboteur" who works for the nominal enemy from within the ranks of the home faction. (e.g. Your Jedi can be a secret Empire sympathiser who goes on missions ostensibly "for" the Republic, but in reality working to promote the Empire's agenda.)

It's complicated.

In the War on Iokath segment that follows after Knights of the Eternal Empire, you are railroaded by the narrative structure into aligning/allying yourself with one of the two factions. (During Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne, you end up being "Commander" of a sort of "third faction".) You can choose whichever faction suits your internal narrative for the character.

At the end of the Nathema Conspiracy segment (some time after War on Iokath), you are presented with another opportunity to decide, and you can change your mind. This occurs at the very end of the story that has been released so far, so it's really just a choice, with no current consequences.

In the up-coming 5.10 update (next month), you will be able to choose *again*, and this choice "sticks". If you choose to align yourself against your home faction, according to the livestream of a few weeks ago, you become a "Saboteur" who works for the nominal enemy from within the ranks of the home faction. (e.g. Your Jedi can be a secret Empire sympathiser who goes on missions ostensibly "for" the Republic, but in reality working to promote the Empire's agenda.)

Ahh, this is wonderful! Can't wait for the 5.10 update! Thanks for answering my question.

I sincerely hope the choice continues to be supported with plenty of interesting dialog options and cut scenes.

Perhaps they'll finally bring the Imperial Agent's choice to join SIS back into play? That one tiny cut scene on Yavin 4 was completely insufficient.

It's complicated.

Sabotage? That's confusing. So say my Jedi sided with the Empire on Iokath and at the end of Nathema. Will my Jedi play the Empire version of whatever is about to happen on Ossus or the Republic version?

Sabotage? That's confusing. So say my Jedi sided with the Empire on Iokath and at the end of Nathema. Will my Jedi play the Empire version of whatever is about to happen on Ossus or the Republic version?

As I understand it, in that case your Jedi will play Republic side but will be able to choose to either truly support the Republic or undermine them as a saboteur. If you decide to be a saboteur, you will have a contact from the Empire who knows their true allegiance, and will work with them to sabotage the Republic's mission.

As of 5.10, they are not allowing PCs to formally switch outright to the other faction.

I'm a bit disappointed about that. My Republic characters don't want to sneak around and pretend they still support the Republic, they want to go to the faction they've been helping since the class stories.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

As I understand it, in that case your Jedi will play Republic side but will be able to choose to either truly support the Republic or undermine them as a saboteur. If you decide to be a saboteur, you will have a contact from the Empire who knows their true allegiance, and will work with them to sabotage the Republic's mission.

As of 5.10, they are not allowing PCs to formally switch outright to the other faction.

I'm a bit disappointed about that. My Republic characters don't want to sneak around and pretend they still support the Republic, they want to go to the faction they've been helping since the class stories.

Bummer! I'll reserve judgment for when it comes out but If I'm killing Sith while secretly working for the Sith Empire or vice-versa I'm going to be disappointed.

As the others said, you won't play as an actual Empire character running the Empire missions, but there's another point that was left out (but I did mention it). The choice on Nathema was not the definitively definitive final choice. You get one more bite at the cherry, so to speak, somewhere early in 5.10, and it is that choice that sticks.

But in the home-faction Loyalist / secret Saboteur mode, not Loyalist / Defector.