RAM upgrade

Gnnysgt

Any constructive input on this would be great. If you want to troll go back to WoW.

so I'm having really bad lag issues when trying to do warzones. to the point that the shield doesn't open to let me back in when i die, and i get kicked out.

I have shut down virtually every process not needed to run, and I'm running the game on my Asus G50VT laptop, with a seperate nvidia 9800 gt 1gig video card. 4 gig of installed ram. I was wondering if i were to upgrade to 8gig of ram if that would make a differnce?

I know people out there will say " there is your first problem running it on a laptop" but I don't have the room for a good desk top, and with my job I'm always traveling so playing on a decent laptop is the only way i have right now.

any help would be great short of going out and buying another laptop/desktop.

and there are no heating issues. I'm using it on a super heavy duty cooling pad.

AH Gnny.

I think you are fine on the RAM. I dont really think it will make a difference. But, i could be wrong. I'm having problems similar to you, but it seems it is my ISP. They are restricting my data flow. Have you looked into that?

I am having similar issues with my pc. Although your specs are better on your laptop than mine are for my pc. I am running 2gb of ram with an Nividia 8800 GTS 512. Sometimes the lag is so bad I cant hardly walk around without hitting a wall.

On the other hand there are times when the game runs flawlessly. Not sure if ram is the answer. Possibly video card or maybe the bottleneck is with the internet connection. Please feel free to chime in if anyone else has experienced similar issues.

yea my internet is superfast. at home anyways, but I have noticed that the places with the most people on planet does slow down. I have also known and experienced a lot of memory leaks on different planets on Biowares end. but for less then 100 bucks through newegg, got 2 sticks of 4gig each DDR2 PC-6400.

and no this isn't AH gunny, the other gnnysgt hartman from bria.

Any lag you are seeing is probably due to one of the following:

Insufficient CPU speed

Insufficient GPU speed

Insufficient internet latency

The 9800 GPU's are acceptable but understand that they are still a out dated card, regardless of clock speed. If you are able to crank your graphic settings all the way down and it solves the issues, then you know it's a GPU issue.

If you are seeing warping or rubber banding then you have a network issue.

If you are experiencing above average loading times, yes that could be RAM but 9 times out o 10 it's a CPU problem.

SWTOR is a x86 (32bit) application, meaning no matter if you have 3.5gigs of RAM or 32 gigs of RAM, it doesn't care and won't recognize anything over then a standard x86 load. It will not run as a x64 application process.

A prime example of this, if you were to run 2 x86 games on your x64 laptop with 8gigs RAM at the same time, one of which is SWTOR, and you monitor your system use on the task manager, you'll notice that once your memory peaks towards 3.5gigs, one of the applications will crash and say it's out of memory even though you still have another 4.5gigs of RAM available.

RAM will generally only effect loading, not necessarily run-time performance. I highly suggest you look into upgrading.

Any constructive input on this would be great. If you want to troll go back to WoW.

so I'm having really bad lag issues when trying to do warzones. to the point that the shield doesn't open to let me back in when i die, and i get kicked out.

I have shut down virtually every process not needed to run, and I'm running the game on my Asus G50VT laptop, with a seperate nvidia 9800 gt 1gig video card. 4 gig of installed ram. I was wondering if i were to upgrade to 8gig of ram if that would make a differnce?

I know people out there will say " there is your first problem running it on a laptop" but I don't have the room for a good desk top, and with my job I'm always traveling so playing on a decent laptop is the only way i have right now.

any help would be great short of going out and buying another laptop/desktop.

and there are no heating issues. I'm using it on a super heavy duty cooling pad.

I had a the exact same laptop...I'm sorry to say but I think the game is beyond its capablities for "lag" free performance. I tried to play Rift, and that is when mine (after 3 years mind you) finally just couldnt take another game. It was plenty enough for WOW...

Are you sure the 9800 is the GT version and not the GS? I'm pretty certain all G50 series had the mGS, and not the mGT version. But some general ideas

Depending on which version..Upgrade Processor (mine was a P8400, P8700's where plenty on ebay when I was looking at this option)

Run the 20% OC tool when gaming (process speed only, but helps)

OC the video card (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/336013-g50vt-9800m-gs-overclocking.html) for some general ideas

But I'm not going back to WOW...I will say 3-4 years ago it was a great machine, I had mine nearly 3 1/2 years of gaming/full use as personal PC as well. No issues...but in the end its ability to keep up with new games just doesnt work. I purchased a new laptop getting ready for this game (and was time imo).....Its quad core, 560mgts, 12gb ram, hybrid hard-drive....This was all for the same price I paid for my G50vt back in the day. There are some really great gaming laptops on the market, this time I went with a Sager custom built model, and enjoy it greatly :)

Good luck...btw if you OC and something blows....Dont blame me :)

Edited by Grometsc

Your right it is a GS not a GT. Im also running a 2.0 duel core. Never played wow so i would know what it ran like. No rubberbanding issues. And I was playing STO for a bit until this came out. No issues there. But i do have long load times and sometime it freezes in the load screen.

I guess i will have to deal with it until i get my taxes back and can afford a new laptop. But for a hundred bucks and it fixes it then it saves me money.

I am having similar issues with my pc. Although your specs are better on your laptop than mine are for my pc. I am running 2gb of ram with an Nividia 8800 GTS 512. Sometimes the lag is so bad I cant hardly walk around without hitting a wall.

On the other hand there are times when the game runs flawlessly. Not sure if ram is the answer. Possibly video card or maybe the bottleneck is with the internet connection. Please feel free to chime in if anyone else has experienced similar issues.