PowerTech - Protecting Power Probe

rolandps

Yes, buff PowerTech. As it's more simple to buff one class than to nerf all other classes. For the original discussion: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=951936

The following suggestion is for the PowerTech Shieldtech spec / tank.

Protecting Power Probe

Provides 6 charges of a Protecting Power Probe. Each charge is going to absorb 7000 of the next incoming single target damage. The charges last for 15 seconds. This ability can be placed on yourself, as well as on a friendly target. If there's any charge left after the duration of this ability, each charge explodes one by one, with a rate limit of 1 second, damaging nearby enemies for 5000 kinetic damage. Cooldown for the "Protecting Power Probe" 90 seconds.

Background

The PowerTech tank lacks of both dcds + team support (besides *cough* translocate and carbonize). Also, the shieldtech has 1 single root breaker every 45 respectively 35 seconds (with utility Iron Will). Compared to assassins and juggernaut tanks: Each mentioned class has up to 3 root breakers, with a much lower cool down duration.

Protecting Power Probe would implement a new heavy and really powerful team supporting ability versus hardswap teams. Also, it will prevent the PT tank to be tanktunneled within 30 seconds.

Edited by rolandps

Yes, buff PowerTech. As it's more simple to buff one class than to nerf all other classes. For the original discussion: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=951936

Protecting Power Probe

Provides 6 charges of a Protecting Power Probe. Each charge is going to absorb 7000 of the next incoming single target damage. The charges last for 15 seconds. This ability can be placed on yourself, as well as on a friendly target. If there's any charge left after the duration of this ability, each charge explodes one by one, with a rate limit of 1 second, damaging nearby enemies for 5000 kinetic damage. Cooldown for the "Protecting Power Probe" 90 seconds.

Background

The PowerTech tank lacks of both dcds + team support (besides *cough* translocate and carbonize). Also, the shieldtech has 1 single root breaker every 45 respectively 35 seconds (with utility Iron Will). Compared to assassins and juggernaut tanks: Each mentioned class has up to 3 stun breakers, with a much lower cool down duration.

Protecting Power Probe would implement a new heavy and really powerful team supporting ability versus hardswap teams. Also, it will prevent the PT tank to be tanktunneled within 30 seconds.

What about the PT dps specs, if this is only for the tank spec? They could always bake in a root breaker with this power probe too or create a utility that gave the ability a root break.

Edited by Lhancelot

Where will you be inserting the protecting power probe?

Instead of translocate.

EDIT: It would actually be nice to give this ability to the PowerTech as a class itself. Maybe at somewhat level 30? or 50? I don't care, just need it at 70 :p But the capability to place the Protecting Power Probe (PPP) on a friendly target is a passive ability for the tank spec only. So DPS specs can place the PPP on themselves only, but tanks have the opportunity to place it on friendly targets as well as on themselves.

What about the PT dps specs, if this is only for the tank spec? They could always bake in a root breaker with this power probe too or create a utility that gave the ability a root break.

This suggestion is for the tank spec only. Feel free to suggest some nice ability, utility or other ideas about the DPS specs (do NOT suggest moving any merc utility to the pt, please).

Edited by rolandps

Instead of translocate. It would actually be nice to give this ability to the PowerTech as a class itself.

The capability to place the Protecting Power Probe (PPP) on a friendly target is a passive ability for the tank spec only.

DPS specs can place the PPP on themselves only, but tanks have the opportunity to place it on friendly targets as well as on themselves.

I see. I think it's a good idea. Allowing the PT tank to place it on other targets would be pretty fun too. Having it self-useable only on the DPS is a good idea also.

No. Powertech tank's problems are VERY different than DPS powertech's problems. Although "Protecting Power Probe" would be novel and intriguing on a dps spec...... its just stupid for tank.

Also, it will prevent the PT tank to be tanktunneled within 30 seconds.

Also, the shieldtech has 1 single root breaker every 45 respectively 35 seconds (with utility Iron Will).

These are the 2 real problems with PT tank in ranked.

1) Tank Tunnel. PT tank is easily suseptable to tank tunnel. Literally don't even need an armor penetration class (carnage mara or arsenal merc). I've seen regular cleave comps like engi/ap be able to TT PT tanks. With the new changes to mitigating crits, I believe this will be fixed, but IDK....

2) PT tank has extremely bad mobility. Override (legendary util) and Torque Boosters (heroic util) are helpful, but the problem is that PT tank really can't sacrifice any skill points that it's already using. Easy fix is to just lower the cast time on translocate.

Background

Compared to assassins and juggernaut tanks....

Don't compare PT tank to sin or jugg tank. Each tank is extremely different and serves extremely different purposes.

From the type of damage they mitigate, to utility and environments that they function the best in, to comps and their ability to function well with other classes, to dps potential, to team support capabilities, these tanks are no where the same. Some have better aspects than others, and that's the way it's meant to be.

Each mentioned class has up to 3 stun breakers.

How the hell did you get this? The only class that even gets close to multiple stun breakers is, PT, which can spec into Efficient Suit (heroic utility).

Protecting Power Probe would implement a new heavy and really powerful team supporting ability versus hardswap teams.

Or just guard swap before the mezz? The point of hard swap is to take advantage of a tank's inability to guardswap and the team's bad coordination. Hardswap is countered with team coordination and good guards. Giving this ability to tanks seems extremely OP.

How the hell did you get this? The only class that even gets close to multiple stun breakers is, PT, which can spec into Efficient Suit (heroic utility).

My fault. I meant root breaker, not stunn breaker. Gotta edit that. Thanks for mentioning.

Or just guard swap before the mezz? The point of hard swap is to take advantage of a tank's inability to guardswap and the team's bad coordination. Hardswap is countered with team coordination and good guards. Giving this ability to tanks seems extremely OP.

Yes, sure. The problem is not about guard swapping (a dcd is not going to help for guard swaps, does it?). The point was related to the few root breakers (1) the PowerTech tank has, compared to jug and sin tank (3). The PPP will give the tank the opportunity to support the team members from far away, after he got pushed, for few seconds.

I like the idea, but I think it would be more interesting if it would absorb a certain percentage of the attacks, rather than reducing it by a set amount. Let's say 60% for arguments sake.

If you time it right, you can absorb 60% of a 30k Furious Strike. But if you time it poorly you're absorbing 60% of a saber strikes. It would also help PT tanks a lot more in pve I think.

Maybe it would have to be a little bit weaker when used on a teammate. But to be honest I'm not sure if PT tanks really need that much more team support. If they just remove the cast time from translocate they've got plenty of team support, even nerfed, oil slick is still very strong versus melee dps.