Did Sith Necromancy ever exist?

Arbitteer

I was wondering if necromancy ever existed in the Star Wars Legends by any chance. I did read a wiki about it that there was some in the Crimson Empire in 36386 BBY. And also any form of forbidden magic the sith do?

If there are any characters of note that are involved in necromancy or forbidden magic, please do tell.

Thank you.

Broadly speaking, no. What the Sith in the EU do is slightly different. When they want to cheat death, they use rituals to anchor their spirit in an object or place (often the tombs they're so fond of building). Exar Kun, for instance, bound his spirit in the temples of Yavin IV and lingered there for over 4000 years. The Inquisitor storyline deals heavily with dark-side ghosts of exactly this sort.

Some Sith, however, manage to grow beyond that: their spirits can move from anchor to anchor and even invade other minds, subsume them, and take over their bodies. Vitiate did this at least once, probably more. If they were especially paranoid, they could create clones (Emperor Palpatine was fond of this trick) so that there would be a steady supply of familiar bodies. However, the original\ body is still dead and gone.

Oh, and then there's Revan. Nobody seems to know what the heck Revan's deal is.

I was wondering if necromancy ever existed in the Star Wars Legends by any chance. I did read a wiki about it that there was some in the Crimson Empire in 36386 BBY. And also any form of forbidden magic the sith do?

If there are any characters of note that are involved in necromancy or forbidden magic, please do tell.

Thank you.

According to the Book Of The Sith, there was Sith alchemy called Tsaiwinokka Hoyakut that could reanimate the dead, and these reanimated dead would basically be zombies bound to the casters will, but only could work on those who had died recently. This type of Sith magic is not well known, but one of the first people to use it was Dathka Graush.

is it still used in Revans era and beyond? Probably not, because it is sith magic only known by the Sith species, the true sith species, and they are gone.

Edited by cool-dude

Necromancy is more properly "divination(1) by calling up the spirits of the dead and asking them about stuff."

Raising undeads is not necromancy.

So, did the Sith ever practice divination by the interrogation of the spirits of the dead? Well, sort of. Heck, the *Inquisitor* does something not far away from that.

(1) All the -mancy magical arts are divination of some sort or another.