Why is SWTOR not more popular?

Lhancelot

3. Too much interactive story telling. While the class stories and planetary stories are really good I personally think that they should of not extended the interactive style of story telling to the side or commonly termed fetch quests. I felt that it really slowed the game pacing down and prevented the player from actually getting into the fight so to speak or being able to really sit down and enjoy the game play.

You know, my first thought was to protest this - I really like the leveling exploration missions. But on second thought, you have to wonder that it might cost a lot for options no one will see.

Most of the exploration missions, for instance, allow you to refuse a quest. Doing so usually gives you a canned line from the toon [but not always], but the questgiver always responds with something unique, like a huffy "fine, I'll find another hero for this mission!" Most people, I think, would either do a quest like that and spacebar through to get it, having decided beforehand to do it, or if they want to RP it or get comp affection, they might ESC and do it over. That's what I typically do. It's only recently that I've started refusing quests on alts just to see what questgivers say, and don't get me wrong, it's a cool feature, but who's going to see it?

Likewise, I notice that if you click on a questgiver after you've received the quest, they will say something, usually a short reiteration of the quest description [baras usually screams at the SW to get moving], and many questgivers will say different things after you complete the quest; some will say two different things depending on if there's an LS/DS choice. Again, really cool stuff, great for roleplaying - but who really does that? I do, but again, it's not something I figured out until several alts into the game.

It reminds me of Obsidian creating voicework for NPCs to respond to you when you're controlling the Czerka protocol droid for a short mission on Telos in KOTOR2. It was hilarious at the time, but you gotta wonder - they spent so much attention on detail for this one early-game mission that not all players will see anyway [since you have to work with the Ithorians to get that mission], yet they didn't have time to make a good ending or remove the hundreds of bugs?

SWTOR feels a lot like that sometimes.

Edited by Ardrossan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also have to take into consideration the fact that this game was first announced in a period when us KOTOR fans were hoping for a KOTOR 3 to finish Revan's story after KOTOR 2.

We found out that we will most likely never get a KOTOR 3 and we are getting and MMO which Ea and Bioware said it's going to be KOTOR 1 2 3 4.. you name it.

A lot of fans including myself were very angry and disappointed with the news and EA wasn't more popular back then than it is now and there were a lot of criticisim's about this game being a cash cow for EA...

And another thing was the leakage of infos about this game pre launch by that guy called EA louse..

If I remember correctly there was a lot of negativity towards this game before it even launched and we can see the same with anthem....

I don't know if all these contributed to it's early "failure" but I just remembered.... and thought I might refresh your memory with them.

I still believe this game can be.. saved but there isn't enough willpower to do it.

This game has been handled extremely poorly from the start...Game engine is bad, game design is one big penalty on fun...Its a theme park with very limited Development resources...

Minus the initial class story lines which were awesome this game is and has always been a major let down...

They have rebuilt existing systems rather than add content or refine/improve systems and to go one step further they made each system they reworked worse....and then spent Development resources essentially changing it back to a similar version to before they touched it...

If someone dropped a decent SW's game it would do really well but SW has some kind of curse in the gaming industry that attracts horrible game management resulting in garbage games...

I subbed in to look around after the server merges...man that was a waste of 15 bones...I'm out!

This game has been handled extremely poorly from the start...Game engine is bad, game design is one big penalty on fun...Its a theme park with very limited Development resources...

Minus the initial class story lines which were awesome this game is and has always been a major let down...

They have rebuilt existing systems rather than add content or refine/improve systems and to go one step further they made each system they reworked worse....and then spent Development resources essentially changing it back to a similar version to before they touched it...

If someone dropped a decent SW's game it would do really well but SW has some kind of curse in the gaming industry that attracts horrible game management resulting in garbage games...

I subbed in to look around after the server merges...man that was a waste of 15 bones...I'm out!

You would have a lot more credibility if this wasn't your third ... "I quit and am never coming back" post within the last 15 months.

Dasty

It has been said before, but bears repeating: the venn intersection of Star Wars movie fans, to PC video gamers, to MMOers is VERY small.

My entire family LOVES the Star Wars movies...none of them - except me - has EVER played a Star Wars video game let alone a MMORPG.

My entire circle of friends LOVE the Star Wars movies...most of them are video gamers but they ALL refuse to play a MMORPG.

The fact that EA/BW have made colossal mistake after colossal mistake does not help. The biggest was 5.0: end game gearing (GC in its original incarnation) and no more support for Preferred players to participate in end game at all (removal of passes). I do not think it is hyperbole when I say the game lost 50% to 60% of its players at the time before or at 5.0 launch. If those two things hadn't happened, this game would be in a far better place.

All that said, I think that so long as Disney puts out Star Wars movies and TV series, there will be sufficient interest in Star Wars games, that SWTOR will chug along. They will have a steady 150k subscribers (individuals will come and go but the overall number of subs will remain consistent) which is sufficient profit to keep the lights on and dribble out new content.