Which relics do you think are best for their respective roles, clickies or procs?

Loadsamonie

Tanking relics, for example, have several different Relics they can choose from:

Reactive Warding: Bubbles that absorbs X amount of damage for 6 seconds. Procs every 40 seconds.

Fortunate Redoubt: Defense proc for 6 seconds. Procs every 20 seconds.

Shield Amplification: Absorb proc for 6 seconds. Procs every 20 seconds.

Imperiling Serenity: Defense clickie for 20 seconds. 2 minute cooldown.

Shrouded Crusader: Shield/Absorb clickie for 20 seconds. 2 minute cooldown.

Which of these do you think is best for a Tank? I always went with procs in the past, but I've come to respect clickies now as they are at your disposal when you need them most, and not reliant on the kindness of RNG to trigger when you really need them. I'm leaning towards Shrouded Crusader and Shield Amplification though, because Shield/Absorb tend to perform better than Defense (your gear already has enough Defense on it), and Reactive Warding doesn't stack with Sorc/Sage bubbles anyway (though it is very strong when you don't have a Sorc/Sage healer, I take it).

What do you guys think?

Edited by Loadsamonie

I think tanks still prefer dps relics. The clickable Shrouded Crusader could be decent, I guess. The problem with auto-proc relics is that they don't help you mitigate damage at the right time... unless the stars align and the hell freezes over.

But I can see the use of clickable relics for dps burn phases coupled with raid buffs and adrenals.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I'm always refer those with self activation lol because I'm just lazy and I'm using gaming mouse with sidebar numbers, I got limited of skills to assign to those given slots, so even the self activation is not good compare to those manual activation I still use them over those manual one.

*I knew I can make macro to activate a set of skills but it's cheating to me so I refer I got beaten by someone better than me rather than win and shame cause I have no skills to win over other players.

I think tanks still prefer dps relics. The clickable Shrouded Crusader could be decent, I guess. The problem with auto-proc relics is that they don't help you mitigate damage at the right time... unless the stars align and the hell freezes over.

But I can see the use of clickable relics for dps burn phases coupled with raid buffs and adrenals.

How is Defense as a clickie though? Is it worthwhile to take alongside or instead of a Shield/Absorb clickie, or does it underperform in comparison?

How is Defense as a clickie though? Is it worthwhile to take alongside or instead of a Shield/Absorb clickie, or does it underperform in comparison?

I only tank easy ops and FP's on occasion, so I will gladly let someone more knowledgable correct me if I'm wrong -- but I think it depends on how much Defense is in your gear. For example, if you have 1500 - 2000 defense, you probably won't get much benefit from any defense-based relics. If you are one of those high HP tanks (using B mods and such) with relatively low defense -- 1k or less -- you will get more benefit from a defense relic proc/clicky.

But either way, I don't know how much 5-10% defense is going to help in a difficult boss fight unless you are aiming for a specific percentage. During relic proc/click, I think you need to aim for 25% defense or 33% defense, that way you defend 1 in 4 attacks, or 1 in 3 attacks.

I only tank easy ops and FP's on occasion, so I will gladly let someone more knowledgable correct me if I'm wrong -- but I think it depends on how much Defense is in your gear. For example, if you have 1500 - 2000 defense, you probably won't get much benefit from any defense-based relics. If you are one of those high HP tanks (using B mods and such) with relatively low defense -- 1k or less -- you will get more benefit from a defense relic proc/clicky.

But either way, I don't know how much 5-10% defense is going to help in a difficult boss fight. During relic proc/click, I think you need to aim for 25% defense or 33% defense, that way you defend 1 in 4 attacks, or 1 in 3 attacks.

How is Absorb more valuable than Defense then? All Absorb does is reduces some of the damage when you Shield. Defense allows you to evade damage completely.

Depends on your tank class (though I think all tank classes focus more on mitigation versus dodging/defense). If you're a PT / VG, you gain energy (or vent heat) every time you shield or defend an attack. Typically Shield chance is between 40% and 50%. Let's say typical Defense for a mitigation tank is 33%-ish. Here's a nice guide that says to use Lethal B mods... which have high endurance and power instead of Defense. http://dulfy.net/2016/12/24/swtor-5-0-shield-tech-powertech-guide-by-yamunun/

Here are some other factors:

Melee and Ranged attacks are Defensible and Shieldable, whereas Force and Tech attacks are not. A critical can never be shielded.

With 248 gears you will get over 4k Defense right out of those 248 T4 gears.

Again, I'm not an OPS hardcore player so I don't focus on any stats, I just gear up and use shield/absorb augment 236 that I crafted myself. My general stats 40% damage reduction, 50% Shield and 50% Absorb, I used both proc relics 1 for absorb and I can't remember the other one but is self activation too for sure.

Depends on your tank class (though I think all tank classes focus more on mitigation versus dodging/defense). If you're a PT / VG, you gain energy (or vent heat) every time you shield or defend an attack. Typically Shield chance is between 40% and 50%. Let's say typical Defense for a mitigation tank is 33%-ish. Here's a nice guide that says to use Lethal B mods... which have high endurance and power instead of Defense. http://dulfy.net/2016/12/24/swtor-5-0-shield-tech-powertech-guide-by-yamunun/

Here are some other factors:

Melee and Ranged attacks are Defensible and Shieldable, whereas Force and Tech attacks are not. A critical can never be shielded.

May I also ask why the DPS relics Retribution/Assault are favored over Tanking Relics for a Tank?

May I also ask why the DPS relics Retribution/Assault are favored over Tanking Relics for a Tank?

Short answer - threat

Longer answer - the shielding/absorb/defense given by the tank relics is not as reliable as the extra damage done by thr dps ones, which also happen to have endurance on them rather than more defense.

Edited by KendraP

Short answer - threat

Longer answer - the shielding/absorb/defense given by the tank relics is not as reliable as the extra damage done by thr dps ones, which also happen to have endurance on them rather than more defense.

Ah, alright. I was expecting someone to say that Power/Mastery also raise mitigation in some way too.

Hey, wait a minute. Don't Power and Mastery affect the amount of damage absorbed by Blade Barrier/Guardianship or something? Possibly the healing received from Focused Defense as well?

I think mastery does.