The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

50 Vanguard - Ask me anything

Hartly

hey I've been going shield spec all the way to lvl 20 or something then tried tactic, found out tactics was much worse, then came back to shield. and now I've made a pvp/group build. can you tell me what u think about it?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801Gohrd0rRgzZMsr.1

I think you've made some questionable decisions in that build and should review the other pvp tank threads on the front page.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, level 22 vanguard here, and loving it, cannot wait to try full shield spec in pvp. I just have one query really. I'm not grasping why people are putting 2 points in ion shield rather than 2 points in defensive measures. Surely immobilizing an enemy for 3 seconds after using harpoon is better than just 2% reduction.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I hit lvl 50 on my vanguard a couple of days ago and now its feeling good after being a bit iffy in the earlier levels. Mainly ive had trouble putting out decent DPS even after trying a few different builds.

Now im full on tank and have been playing quite allot of pvp with a couple of other players in my guild. Both are level 50 Consulars, one DPS spec and one Healing. Between the 3 of us we can own pretty much anything. If you put your guard on a good healer, stay with them and play your class well you can cope with ALLOT.

A few times now myself and the healer have held off 4-6 enemies for minutes at a time. Even before i hit lvl50. If you work well together you are really hard to put down in pvp. Add the 300-400k damage per match from Consular 1 to the 300-400k Healing from Consular 2 to the vanguards protection and your on to a winner.

I get top medals pretty much every game of PVP even if i lose tho 10 is my record so far.

As for 1on1's in pvp you can pretty much take on anything as long as it doesnt self heal :mad: I quite often find that i cant put out enough DPS to counter the heals and have to drag the fight on untill my stun CD's finish. Either that or just give up/call in backup.

Hey everyone, level 22 vanguard here, and loving it, cannot wait to try full shield spec in pvp. I just have one query really. I'm not grasping why people are putting 2 points in ion shield rather than 2 points in defensive measures. Surely immobilizing an enemy for 3 seconds after using harpoon is better than just 2% reduction.

Thanks.

I'd like to share my thoughts on this, please keep in mind that these are my thoughts and nothing is set in stone

The reason why certain people are putting points in Ion Shield over Defensive Measures is because Ion Shield provides a flat out 2% damage reduction, bringing Ion Cell up to a whopping 7% damage reduction in total, all the time (Quite a lot).

While Harpoon is a useful ability that can be used every 45 seconds (35 if you've specced into Tactical Tools), a 3 second immobilize every 45/35 seconds is not fantastic for two points, especially considering that any PvP SS Vanguard will have the Neural Overload talent, which adds a snare to your primary DoT, that is so easy to apply that it will have near enough 100% uptime, making the 3 second immobilize redundant.

This is not to say that you can't go with Defensive Measures, we're still in early stages of gameplay, so by all means, experiment.

Hope this provided a different view on the dilemma.

Edited by Twulff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

I just hit lvl 50 2 days ago now and i am reading this right now and thinking how glad i am to take 2% less damage. Seriously when your fighting a decked out champion damage spec inquistor you would want 2% less damage because they hit very hard:eek:. Sure immobilizing a enemy is fun in huttball or alderaan but when your on ilum. Every last bit of damage reduction or endurance is needed. My thoughts

Edited by yellowjon

• 5 weeks later...
Hate to hijack the thread, but I've been 50 since release day, and i've done quite a bit of PvP so I'll at least throw in my experiences.

Healers aren't a threat alone if you know how to handle them, which is using Riot Strike/Storm to keep them locked down for the majority of the fight. (Back out of melee range to get a Storm off if you have to) Save Cryo Grenade/Neural Surge until they're low and Riot Strike is on cooldown, and finish them off with a good Stockstrike -> High Impact Bolt. Played correctly, your dps should be slightly more than they can handle, so you'll get them down eventually.

Other tanks end up being your closest match, and a well-played Assassin tank can be a huge threat if they manage to get an opener on you. Stealth Scan becomes insanely important in this matchup, sometimes deciding the victor right from the beginning.

DPS classes shouldn't give you many problems unless they swarm you (and it then becomes a non 1v1 situation). Do be wary of geared/good Marauders though, as they can do a number to you. Fortunately, good Marauders are few and far between, at least on my server. If you're on top of your game though, you shouldn't have any problems taking them out.

You should be able to survive Concealment Operatives openers, (most don't take me below 60%) and after that they're pretty simple to take down, just don't let them get away.

If you're really into PvP, I suggest getting Biochem. The reusable health pack is absolutely insane for us. I've had Alderaan games where I literally can't die defending a node, mainly due to being able to drag out the fight long enough to continually use it. (Obviously, call in reinforcements if your node gets swarmed though)

Overall, you should not be worried if you're looking to do some tanking pvp. We're in a good spot.

I'm reading this right now , And you very well understand the vanguard mechanics!.

Healers are no problem unless they are inquistors who stun and run away and then heal.

Tanks - Yeah they are the biggest problem , They live long enough in my cases to call for help.

I Really have the most trouble with a Operative too , He has this insane opener and closer what deals 5k damage with just 3 melee attacks. If I get a starter on him or any other classes I get a dramatic advantage.

And If I had to suggest anything , If you ARE hardcore pvp player Biochem is like a must to be powerful , You Need Thoes Rakata stims to help you kick but. And yeah pretty much reusable health pack is insane , I have done alot of stuff with it , Pvp , Ops , Hardmode flashpoints etc.

Here Is something I would add , For all you tanks out there .http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801RRrrdoroGZMsr0oZb.1

Works great for me in hardmode flashpoints and ops as well as pvp.

Edited by yellowjon

My question is simple:

Do you have fun playing your class?

Vanguards are one of the most fun classes in SWTOR. You never feel as if you can't win. No matter who it is you are up against, you have the tools in your arsenal to outplay him and counter everything he does.

Haven't delved into pvp until just recently (lvl 45 vanguard) but i am now using my Shield/tactics build that i've been leveling with. I think about the same as the OP.

Just finding out about this taunt damage reduction thing and want it clarified. So there is an imp beating on my healer. I taunt him. He will do 30% less damage to the healer for the next 6 seconds? I'm assuming he really has no way of knowing i just taunted him and will essentially just be frustrated why he seems to be doing less damage?

And that aoe taunt of ours.... Someone mentioned they'd throw the aoe taunt into the mob attacking the hutball carrier. EVERYONE is now doing 30% less damage against the hutball carrier (assuming the carrier is not me).???

If so this is awesome. Essentially i should be using taunt and AOE taunt every cooldown against someone who is not actively trying to kill me. corect?

With the amount of complaints I've been reading on the forums about Vanguards and their lack of DPS and lack luster PVP effectiveness; What do you feel is the roll that Vanguards play best in PVP in your opinion. And can you offer a link to your build?

Thanks

As a Vanguard I have found my best role to be a healer defender. I sit back and pew pew with my hammer shot, I use guard and the rest when the healers get jumped or another teammate is rushing in to fight. If someone gets a jump on the healers then I unload my stock strike, ion, gut, high impact etc... Usually in this role I find myself getting lots of kills and helping keep teammates a live.

I'm a tactics build...

Edited by bizcuits

Hey fellow Vanguards, here's a question for you all.

Right now I'm a 35 Tank-specced vanguard, playing with the thought of going to Storm, then moving to Assault. What I'm wondering is about companions.

Which companion is the better choise in your eyes? I'm between Elara and Jorgan.

With Elara I can continue fighting, I never have to stop and Reload, because I tend to always stay on enough ammo to keep my regeneration high. Dps is sort of slow though.

On the contrary, when I've used Jorgan the dps increases, but I have to stop and Reload far more often. Does it wheigh it out? T

This is all a matter of questing.

- Sidenote: do you think I should go for the Storm then hit Assault, or top Shield for the extra 10% shield chance + Energy Blast?

In the Trooper Progression video, there's two sets of armor I've been looking for and can't find any info on: the green armor from the jungle planet (Taris? Quesh?) and the blue/white armor from Hoth.

Can you tell me the actual name of these armor sets and/or where to get them?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't read most of the thred...

Do Vanguards get an ability that lets them leap to teammates? I beleive guardian & juggernaut get one, do Vanguards have one as well?

Nope.