Hartly

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what spec are you?

How are you doing in pvp?

ty

I lvled shield spec and had an awful build till about lvl 41. It took me forever to kill stuff and I had to level with one of my friends from 25-40. Once I hit 41 I realized that I needed some more dmg and I tried a full tactics build and would die really quick. So I settled on http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGrdoroMZMsr0oZb.1 which is what i currently am now. This build is amazing in pvp as well.

Now for PvP. Im awesome in pvp :D. Every game I get at least 6 valor marks regardless of winning or losing and I feel like I make a big difference in the overall game. On the server that I play on, the empire wins 75% of the time, but if I can get a healer with me, I can make a good attempt at winning the game for my team. I can keep everyone around me alive with my taunts and the 50% dmg transfer shield is just op if you ask me. I usually get around 25K points of protection a game. Overall, I feel like Vanguard is an amazing pvp class becasue of all the utility we get, but if your looking to do big numbers and kill everyone around you, its not the class for you

Hey, how's it going? You having fun? Having a good time?

Pretty good:D

Yeah I feel like the vanguard is amazingly fun. When I first got the game I knew that I wanted to play a tank because I healed almost the whole time I played wow. The vanguard has really impressed me with its tanking ability and the overall fun factor. Its just an amazing feeling rushing into big groups of mobs or players and not take hardly any dmg

Overall, I feel like Vanguard is an amazing pvp class becasue of all the utility we get, but if your looking to do big numbers and kill everyone around you, its not the class for you

I've hit 268k damage done before as tactics it's just really iffy as melee because if you aren't getting the kinda support you should you'll typically be the first to get focus fired down every time, so I can understand grabbing shield spec. I kite around more than I would like but that's how the pvp game is played :X

Gut is almost a must have though, even keeps people from capping after you die from the DoT damage :D I don't think I could live without Hold The Line in huttball though, had some very clutch wins getting it across the line as people try knocking me around.

How much of the rifle do you actually use? Is there a decent amount of PEW PEWZ or is it mainly stock striking, shanking, and shooting out lightning?

Well Mortar shot is still amazing regardless of commando or vanguard. I auto attack a lot because if i can get a ion proc they are slowed by 50%, but other than my auto attack there isn't much PEW PEWZ lol

Regarding your spec posted, I am a level 24 vanguard and was wondering if i should spec right away just the shield spec talents or some of the other two trees as well? This is my first time having a tanking type char of any kind, so any tips that you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nice to see other Vanguards out there trying to help the community/fellow troopers. Im going to try your spec, as full shield is kinda bad, altho I think the +10% shield might be great for a raiding spec tank.

I'll report back on anything I find that may help.

Also, what is your general "rotation" I use that word losely as vanguards have a lot of options. Either for dmg when questing/pvp (this can vary due to situation ofc) and for holding threat in PvE tanking?

Edited by KovuTalli

Regarding your spec posted, I am a level 24 vanguard and was wondering if i should spec right away just the shield spec talents or some of the other two trees as well? This is my first time having a tanking type char of any kind, so any tips that you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Well this is a tough question. At 24 I was speced all the way shield and was doing alright. This was about the time when I noticed my dmg starting to slow down a bit. However, I toughed it out till I got storm and that talent just changed my whole game. Its not that amazing for pve but my god for pvp. Once I got that I must have got 3 lvls from pvp alone. If I were you tho I would stay sheild and then start putting points into tactics once you get storm and static surg maxed.

Nice to see other Vanguards out there trying to help the community/fellow troopers. Im going to try your spec, as full shield is kinda bad, altho I think the +10% shield might be great for a raiding spec tank.

I'll report back on anything I find that may help.

Also, what is your general "rotation" I use that word losely as vanguards have a lot of options. Either for dmg when questing/pvp (this can vary due to situation ofc) and for holding threat in PvE tanking?

Ok. From my experience the vanguard has a pretty loose rotation and your resource system is key to everything. The ammo system is so weird compared to anything I've ever experienced in any other mmo. The trick is to always stay at 100% ammo regeneration, but its ok to drop once in a while but dont go lower than 75% (thats when you start losing dps, tanking ability, ect.) You keep your ammo regeneration at 100% by using Hammer Shot instead of skills that take ammo. Keeping your ammo regeneration around 100% is really key to everything with the trooper, but you do have a couple of skills like Recharge Cells and Reserve Powercell that can help you out if you get in trouble. It took me a long time playing around with the system to truly understand it.

Now, with the ammo system out of the way, here's what I do for tanking. If I have Mortar Volley up, I'll start with that and try to every mob in the next pull with it, sticky grenade, storm, stock strike (then gut if I have it), High impact bolt, Ion pulse, then hammer shot till I get up the 100% or to help get agro on all of the mobs. That's kind of general but when you are tanking the main focus is to have all the threat on you and not really worry about your dmg or rotation. Also try to keep Smoke Grenade up as much as possible and dont be scared to use your cooldowns. They're only 2 min.

Heres for Dps/Leveling. Mortar Volley(If its up), Command Jorgan to attack while the mortar volley is channeling (If I have him out), Sticky grenade, Storm, Stock Strike, Gut(if you have it), High Impact Bolt, Hammer Shot, Ion Pulse. It then becomes a priority system with Stock Strike being the most important, then keeping the Gut dot up, then High Impact Bolt, then Ion Pulse. This is where its most important to keep your regeneration at 100%, but you can dump it and use Recharge Cells to get you back up if you need a little extra dps for those tough situations.

PvP there really isnt a rotation but if you need to do the most dmg you can use the DPS/Leveling rotation if you can get the whole thing off on someone.

EDIT: Im not claiming that this is the best way to do the rotation or anything like that. There are probably better rotations out there, but this is what I found worked the best in my personal experience with the class.:jawa_smile:

Edited by Hartly

I don't understand the Vanguard tree Tactics. Is it a melee tree? What kind of weapon does it fight with?

Is it any good? A melee Vanguard actually sounds like a ton of fun.

Yeah it pretty much is a Melee tree because all of the main abilities that benefit from that tree are melee range.

We still use the rifle even though when I first played the beta, I was under the assumption that vanguards were going to be able to use vibro swords and staffs.

The Tactics tree is kinda weird to me. It doesn't seem like a full on dps tree because of all the utility you gain in it. I haven't tested it out much so I really dont know the full capabilities of it yet. I feel like our assault spec tree has the most dmg potential out of them all but without dmg meters I cant really test that theory.

The Vanguard class is a ton of fun tho :D

I have a question on armor. I just got through Hoth and had a very awesome looking set of armor put together (actually didn't see anyone else wearing it). I'm now on Belsavis and the rewards I'm getting are armor designs I was wearing back on Courescant and Taris!! Do we "de-evolve" armor wise until 50 or is this planet just weird? I'm very sad about this turn of events at the moment because the armor progression has had me hooked.

I have a question. I noticed in your build you took Demolition (increases critical chance of elemental attacks). I had assumed elemental damage was just from high energy cell, but as I tank I'm usually rolling ion cell. Is Ion damage also considered to be "elemental"?

nope, I think it's considered 'energy' :p might be wrong.

I've already got a shadow tank so I'm looking to create a dps toon. I really dislike the BFG's commandos get, so can vanguards be viable dps via the tacitcs/assult spec?

Thanks

PS is there a spec you would recommend for dps (whether you've tired it or not :p)

Edited by grandmasterub

I gotta be honest, if your a vanguard, you should get a _minumum_ of 7 marks, even if you loose.

I do an average of 10-11, and highest is 13.

Guarding persons gets you 3.

Healing gets you 1-2.

Killing 10/25 is 1-2.

High hit dmg is 1.

Killing Blow is 1.

Assassin is 1.

75K/300K Dmg is 1-2.

Thats 10, then you got the objective points, 1-3. Which is either easier or harder depending on the warfront you get.

Suggestions for those who have a hard time getting marks at 50:

Tanking items with Assault Spec, you should be able to do 1v1, vs any other specc. This is broken, but BH/Trooper are the best atm. Use Biochem and get yourself the different stims, adrenals and medpacs.

Again, if i fail hard, I get like 9, but thats when I dont pay much attention.

I could gladly post my specs, the most important things are priority and rotation in PvP.

I'm currently doing Operations aswell, there I MT/OT on 8man.

I have a question on armor. I just got through Hoth and had a very awesome looking set of armor put together (actually didn't see anyone else wearing it). I'm now on Belsavis and the rewards I'm getting are armor designs I was wearing back on Courescant and Taris!! Do we "de-evolve" armor wise until 50 or is this planet just weird? I'm very sad about this turn of events at the moment because the armor progression has had me hooked.

Well I cant really tell you about the armor from hoth till 50 because I got the whole lvl 40 pvp set and used that ill 50 :jawa_smile:

I can tell you at 50 we get some sweet looking armor and I think we are one of the better looking classes

I have a question. I noticed in your build you took Demolition (increases critical chance of elemental attacks). I had assumed elemental damage was just from high energy cell, but as I tank I'm usually rolling ion cell. Is Ion damage also considered to be "elemental"?

Yeah I think so. The main reason I took it was because Ion Pulse is an elemental attack and I tend to use it a lot. I always assumed that ion cell was elemental as well tho

I've already got a shadow tank so I'm looking to create a dps toon. I really dislike the BFG's commandos get, so can vanguards be viable dps via the tacitcs/assult spec?

Thanks

PS is there a spec you would recommend for dps (whether you've tired it or not :p)

Yeah man. I feel that our assault has a lot of dmg potential if you can keep up with all of the procs. I havent tried it yet but heres the build I would go http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZMsMZfGbbzGhrs.1.

Remember, I haven't tested it and honestly Assault Plastique confuses the hell out of me because its basically the same skill as sticky grenade but with more dmg.

If you get to try this spec out, let me know how it is :D

With the amount of complaints I've been reading on the forums about Vanguards and their lack of DPS and lack luster PVP effectiveness; What do you feel is the roll that Vanguards play best in PVP in your opinion. And can you offer a link to your build?

Thanks

Wow if anyone says that a vanguard is lackluster pvp then they are just doing it wrong. I'm a force on the battlefield and if I get a healer with me, we can usually turn the tide of battle with just the 2 of us. Actually today, me and my lvl 35 commando friend took on 2v7 in a Civil War on the east point and ended up holding it the whole game. The rest of our team ended up capping the other points and we won soon after.

Now, like I said in a earlier post. You dont get to see the BIG NUMBERS when you play a vanguard, but I'm usually always top 3 dmg when the warzone is over.

This is my current build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGrdoroMZMsr0oZb.1 and I am loving it. I have great survivability and I have some really good burst dmg when I need it. The best thing tho is the amount of CC that I get and the taunts really help out the team.