Too laggy to move/fight

dmetria

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, full list of stuff I've done (still getting 5-10 FPS everywhere, not just inside and not just on one planet):

- Clean game install (twice)

- Settings to High, then back to Low again

- Shadows Low (then OFF)

- Driver rollback

- Windows Update

- Spybot/MBAM scans

- Settings LOW

- Antialiasing OFF (and the other suggestions made for the NVIDIA settings panel)

- SpeedFan scan

- msconfig to clean up Services/Processes booting up at startup

I am completely at a loss as to why the game is performing thusly. And I truly, truly mean that.

I'm having problems too. My computer is fairly decent, not amazing but good enough to run most current gen games on high-max.

My game starts off fine. Something like 100fps. After around 30mins or so, no matter what I'm doing the game starts stuttering. Also I get the occassional buzzing sound in the audio.

If I close the game to desktop and restart the game it fixes it but for a shorter time.

I have played a LOT of MMOs, and this has never happened. Running games like Skyrim and The Witcher 2 on high and then struggling to run this on low or high is not right.

Ok, full list of stuff I've done (still getting 5-10 FPS everywhere, not just inside and not just on one planet):

- Shadows Low (then OFF)

- Driver rollback

- Windows Update

- Spybot/MBAM scans

- Settings LOW

- Antialiasing OFF (and the other suggestions made for the NVIDIA settings panel)

- SpeedFan scan

I am completely at a loss as to why the game is performing thusly. And I truly, truly mean that.

Had the same card as you before (old rig), your husbands on the other hand is still worse then yours in today standards. NVIDIA 9400GT - arghs, this was a pre build aight? Go to your nearest retailer (take a small nerd shop over some big chain!) and get a real card.

There really isn't much you will be able to do with settings and tweaking everything, its just not there.

- Shadows Low (then OFF)

- Driver rollback

- Windows Update

- Spybot/MBAM scans

- Settings LOW

- SpeedFan scan

Same problem with me. I've tried all that too. Doesn't seem to help. People with high end machines and low end machines are all having the same issue.

No doubt some idiot will post saying your pc is bad or your connection isn't too slow lol.

i think they upped the grx options from beta .. not sure as i am not in yet ..that was the talk then..

i think you may all be expecting a bit much of what your old grfx cards can do ..

i would think a good card for this game would be 560 ti + or 6950 + ..

i for one would not like to try anything lower ..

in beta my system would max out @ 120fps and sometimes drop down to 90fps but it is a 580gtx sc.. i may find that if they have done changes the grfx i too will drop fps which is fine for me .. but will a bad impact on anything lower than i stated ..

i understand that ppl have to run with what they have so to try and make the best of it >

for ppl asking for help>>

state your system spec ..

o/s

processor

memory

grfx & driver ver

hdd

sound card

state your problem clearly..

show any crash reports ..

show any trace route ..

in the case of lag note your m/s time in game ..

to check your connection to there servers you will need to contact a dev / gm for the server i.p and run a trace route from your pc via the cmd window ..

you can also check your own>

dl rate to a local server > http://speedtest.net/

local ping test > http://pingtest.net/

to check your in game fps press ctrl+shift+f to turn on the fps meter in the bottom left corner in green..

when checking your fps try >

standing in a busy enclosed area lots of ppl etc.. if ya get alot of slow down then it can be shadow / lighting / textures .. and try to reduce as needed ..

also try standing next to a wall or boxes and note the fps when lookin at it ..then on the same spot turn to face some detailed object in the distance trees / buildings / ship and note the fps drop .. if its alot then its safe to say your draw distance / detail / needs to come down ..

try to look for a good balence of the two useing manual settings ..

reduceing the rez of the display can also help ..

make sure your grfx card settings are set to performance in windows..

hope this is of some help and yes there are some other things i have not mentioned .. but i am sure ppl will hlp ... or maybe even a blue post if ya lucky ..lolz:D

LAG as the in the computer term is specifically used (or was...) for computer network and telephone installations.

lag is used for a lot of things in computer/network science... My bachelor is in IT and my master in network security ... so i know what lag can mean :p

you can name this visual lag

There were some rumors during beta that playing in Windowed mode would improve your performance. Try that instead of full screen mode and report back if that worked for you.

this is false,i tried both and got better results in fullscreen..make sure you turn down your resolution,grass,tress etc.

I'm having problems too. My computer is fairly decent, not amazing but good enough to run most current gen games on high-max.

My game starts off fine. Something like 100fps. After around 30mins or so, no matter what I'm doing the game starts stuttering. Also I get the occassional buzzing sound in the audio.

If I close the game to desktop and restart the game it fixes it but for a shorter time.

I have played a LOT of MMOs, and this has never happened. Running games like Skyrim and The Witcher 2 on high and then struggling to run this on low or high is not right.

Its the engine, its known to eat quite alot of resources (I've seen other games on the same engine, and performance was always an issue). I guess alot of people will upgrade their rigs shortly after release.

Oh, WOW.

Ok, so apparently, this is interesting. This seems to have fixed the issue.

I let SWTOR handle the 3D acceleration stuff, turned everything to HIGH, and shut off shadows separately.

Seems to have completely solved the problem. 60+ FPS.

/boggle

I been having trouble with my the Game my PC is running the game at 16-23 FPS i don't know what the issues my Computer should Handle it.

I have

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.20 GHZ

Video Card

AMD Radeon HD 6770 Series

RAM

3 GB

Running on

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1

Please Help Me to Find a Way to know how can i upgrade my Computer to play on better FPS

lag is used for a lot of things in computer/network science... My bachelor is in IT and my master in network security ... so i know what lag can mean :p

you can name this visual lag

Everyone would know what you mean, when you tell them that! But people don't. They simply don't know the difference between low fps and network lag.

Im reading all this and cringing in fear for the day i get my email to EA... I mean during beta my Dell Inspiron M5010 with ATI graphics card had similar issues, ive done just about everything that this thread stated. Was also able to run other graphic heavy games such as Skyrim with rather good fps. Im starting to believe the "ATI" and "Memory Leakage" issues are the ones to blame. To many similar instances for many ppl, BioWare really needs to address this, especially considering how close to launch, and the fact that one of the excuses of the art style is the way it is was to make the game playable for a wider audience... doesnt seem to be working so far... But not to blame all BW, tisk tisk ATI/AMD...

This is probably a stupid question but, when i hit Ctrl-Shift-F to get the framerate, and I have the two green numbers at the bottom, what do I want them to be? i.e., what's ideal?

i've been having issues others have, with movement being laggy and annoying. i've set all my graphics options to low and turned off shadows.

thanks!

Oh, WOW.

Ok, so apparently, this is interesting. This seems to have fixed the issue.

I let SWTOR handle the 3D acceleration stuff, turned everything to HIGH, and shut off shadows separately.

Seems to have completely solved the problem. 60+ FPS.

/boggle

nice hope it works for the rest of you guys ..no need to mees about with the indvidual settings if thats the case ... :D

9800GTX is a little old don't you think? Even my GTX295 has problems running recent games on i3 2.8ghz, 8gb ram..

I believe they must of screwed up when listing the minimum requirements, there's usually a small jump from minimum to recommended, and they released no recommended, so it's safe to assume the 9800GTX would get more than 10 FPS. It's not the point of having low FPS, it's when I go from 50-60 middle of a firefight to 20-25.

This is probably a stupid question but, when i hit Ctrl-Shift-F to get the framerate, and I have the two green numbers at the bottom, what do I want them to be? i.e., what's ideal?

i've been having issues others have, with movement being laggy and annoying. i've set all my graphics options to low and turned off shadows.

thanks!

35+ is ideal

Everyone would know what you mean, when you tell them that! But people don't. They simply don't know the difference between low fps and network lag.

I see what you mean

I think that we agree but express the same opinion in 2 different ways :)

looks like someone figured it out here

I haven't actually tried it, but...

...and isn't it strange that someone actually had a solution (that was really easy to do) and they closed the thread and redirect you here where I couldn't find a solution nearly as simple.

edit: wrong page

Do it. It works. Also customer service ALWAYS does that. They did that in the beta. A guy found a solution and they were like DON'T do it!

Same problem, even having a fairly decent pc, making sure firewalls etc are off and on lowest settings and windowed mode I have the same problem

Therein is your problem mate firewall off ................... are you serious ............ does your computer even work now??? We'll NOT hear from him for a few days to be sure as he get's stinged by Dell to send back and re-format. Your firewall IS ESSENTIAL on the interwebs ....................... He is obviuously an "I R BABOON!"

Therein is your problem mate firewall off ................... are you serious ............ does your computer even work now??? We'll NOT hear from him for a few days to be sure as he get's stinged by Dell to send back and re-format. Your firewall IS ESSENTIAL on the interwebs ....................... He is obviuously an "I R BABOON!"

My windows firewall has been disabled for more than 3 years, having a proper router helps.

i think they mean leave your grfx card selections as stock ..preformance / quality..etc in windows .. and just change all settings to high in game and only turn off shadows ..

it seems to have worked for that thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=3605&page=5

the best soultion is an easy one :D

I think EVERYONE should try this, let us (me) know if this is an actual solution. Esp me since i have yet to get my invite =/

I think EVERYONE should try this, let us (me) know if this is an actual solution. Esp me since i have yet to get my invite =/

I got in game today after course for a while...well on my low end pc (cpu bottlenecked here maybe) it felt smoother than the betas (two last ones) with shadows off. I think in beta I couldn't fully disable shadows though. Everything else is maxed and during pve I get 20-50 fps (actually ok for me). Now I have no idea about warzones (im still lvl 9)