All instances group-phased.

JasonThDi

As the title suggests, everything should be group-phased. This is mainly so some idiot won't try to rush ahead and steal a mission objective or if you just want to run a few weeklies by yourself. This is what makes Guild Wars superior to SWToR which is why it should be brought here. Even one of my family members agree. Regardless of how many people ignore this, I will continue to post this.

Before you post any form of disagreements....

1. Will it break the game? No.

2. Will it cause every single player (myself included) to quit? No.

Because the answer to the above questions are no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my idea whatsoever. That's all.

Jason,

The things you're trying to solve are largely irrelevant. I've never any trouble finishing weeklies in the current system, even with loads of people out and about, and while objective sneak-thieves are annoying, there aren't enough of them to be really problematic. (There are also other ways to mitigate both those things, e.g. putting "critical" things like the Ancient Relic on Yavin IV in instances while the rest of the game is shared-world.)

I'd also like to ask this: if fully-instanced is so superior, why did Arenanet abandon it for Guild Wars 2?

And you're right, it probably wouldn't make everyone (including you) quit. Clearly not, since you want it. But that's not an interesting question. Would it make everyone but you quit? Again, probably not, since there are people who'll play a Star Wars MMORPG no matter what. Would it make a lot of people quit? Maybe. That's hard to say, since "a lot of people" isn't well-defined. Would some people quit because of it? For sure.

As for the question of breaking the game, well, it might, or at least it would require a significant redesign, which usually means "a significant re-break". All those "planning for a trip in the wilds" things you do in towns and outposts in GW1 (choosing heroes and/or henchies, etc.) would need to be added, and they would probably need to add restrictive group-size limits for places like Ord Mantell (where players usually don't have companions). Either that or they'd need to add "henchmen" type NPCs or stuff, or even both.

So yes, it might be interesting to have a GW1-structured Star Wars themed MMORPG, but redesigning SWTOR to be that game is absolutely the wrong approach. The transition would be so total that, in effect, only the stories would remain. That's an unrealistic project.

There are far better and easier ways to solve these problems.

Adjust spawn timers: something they do from time to time.

Change the main objective from a spawn to a clicky item: Another thing they have done to some open world missions.

Things they could do:

Make it so the items themselves are instanced: A lot of games do it this way, the enemy or object that's visible to you is only visible to you, and this also works with gathering nodes, each one you see is your own.

Guild Wars 2, the way they deal with enemies and bosses out in the open world, in that as long as you get a few hits on them, you get the acknowledgment and loot from it.