Which Humanoid species cant produce offspring with each other?

JonnyBro

When I was doing the smuggler story I noticed that Akaavi Spar told my Human male (or Cyborg, same thing) that it would be impossible for them to have children. I found that odd, as I thought they could from reading several different sources about inter-species breeding in Star Wars. Are there certain species that are incompatible like my human and Zabrak or a Rattataki and Twi'lek?

It really should only be species that evolved from humans, like the Chiss or Echani.

Zabrak apparently also fall into that group and are a species that diverged from humans, so it might be possible.

Star Wars though is not hard Sci Fi and some writers who didn't pay attention in Biology write nonsense where species that are not related to humans are able to do the same. There was a human-Twi'lek hybrid in the EU for instance, which should not be, since Twi'leks are not related to humans unlike Chiss or Zabrak.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

IIRC, Zabrak are not directly compatible with humans. The Zabrak-Human hyrids of Dathomir are created with interventions (I don't remember if it's alchemy or what). Like the Sith species, it took a little work to produce a hybrid offspring.

IIRC, Zabrak are not directly compatible with humans. The Zabrak-Human hyrids of Dathomir are created with interventions (I don't remember if it's alchemy or what). Like the Sith species, it took a little work to produce a hybrid offspring.

Interesting, thanks.

I just glanced at the wookiepedia article on Zabrak which has them listed as an offshoot of humanity. Of course simply being closely related to humans may not necessarily be enough for the two to successfully interbreed, depending on how far apart they diverged, so your post makes sense. African wild dogs for instance can't interbreed with the domestic dog despite both being canids and as such closely related.

So it seems Akaavi's writer got it right.

I think the impossibility should be correct, as Zabrak have two hearts (while humans have one), so there might be some other changes in their internal organs that would make it impossible for the offspring to be able to live. But then, with Force anything is possible... so I wouldn't rule it out for roleplay reasons, if at least one parent is very strong in the Force and manipulating it to create or twist life, but this is not the case for Akaavi and smuggler.

Interesting, thanks.

I just glanced at the wookiepedia article on Zabrak which has them listed as an offshoot of humanity. Of course simply being closely related to humans may not necessarily be enough for the two to successfully interbreed, depending on how far apart they diverged, so your post makes sense. African wild dogs for instance can't interbreed with the domestic dog despite both being canids and as such closely related.

So it seems Akaavi's writer got it right.

Check out the Witches of Dathomir and Dathomirian Zabrak (that's what Maul and Asajj Ventress were). That explains the hybrid thing.

Yeah, that was something I didn't like in Clone Wars. Ventress had been established in the original Clone Wars multi-media project as being Ratattaki but then they suddenly changed her to being native to Dathomir? Why?

I headcanon she's still a Ratattaki but a Dathomirian one, like how Maul is still a Zabrak but from Dathomir instead of Iridonia. As for humanoid species anything is possible with a little Alchemy I suppose.

In the original Clone Wars animated series (2003) Ventress was presented as a Rattataki. She was retconed in the 2008 Clone Wars series to be a Dathomirian Zabrak. Dathomirian Zabrak females and Rattataki females are said to look very similar, with Rattataki favoring dark tattoos while a Dathomirian's are light. Ventress, as per the retcon, was Dathomirian but raised on Rattatak after being taken by a slaver. Rattataki are bald and in some flashback scenes from The Clone Wars Ventress can be seen with hair.

Humans and Zabraks could have offspring with one another, Ventress was half Human-half Zabrak, like the other nightsisters. But since Disney take over(?) it was changed and no longer the case.

Humans and Twileks can also have children together, even in canon, there is a episode in the clone wars were there are two Twilik children who are half human.

It's a long time since i readed the wiki about it, but from what i recall and all it was the case.