The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

False Advertising in Cartel Market and Collections

Graveside

I noticed a set of armor I wanted and spent about 3 million credits on it. This amount of credits can be a lot to some and just a drop in the bucket for others.

I am referring to the armor pictures in both the Cartel Market and Collections. A prime example is the Bionic Warrior Armor set. The picture clearly shows what a buyer could believe are effects on the armor itself (I fell for it). In the U.S. I looked up false advertising laws and this is could be the case, because even thou the items can be are purchased with credits in game, they do sale cartel coins in which are required to purchase from the cartel market.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising

The product looks better in the advert than it actually is? Who'dda thunk it. While you're at it, you might want to get onto every business that ever existed then.

(My brother once saw a "real" Big Mac - he was in for a burger in the restaurant they were filming in. He said it was "glorious to behold")

I noticed a set of armor I wanted and spent about 3 million credits on it. This amount of credits can be a lot to some and just a drop in the bucket for others.

I am referring to the armor pictures in both the Cartel Market and Collections. A prime example is the Bionic Warrior Armor set. The picture clearly shows what a buyer could believe are effects on the armor itself (I fell for it). In the U.S. I looked up false advertising laws and this is could be the case, because even thou the items can be are purchased with credits in game, they do sale cartel coins in which are required to purchase from the cartel market.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising

You didn't use the preview features in the Collections interface to see what it would look like before buying it.

Sympathy = Zero.

When it is trivially simple to see exactly what the armour set will look like on your character, the false advertising laws are irrelevant.

Also, good luck getting the false advertising rules to apply to purchases made with in-game money ("credits"). Your real-world-money loss is, I would say, zero.