Is there really a point to Satele Shan?

Dayshadow

Just posted this in the suggestion forum, I think the fact that the continental us sprawls 4 time zones labeling it based on timezone is more relevant than physical location of the server. I think this is the way it used to be? So i'm not sure why they would change it when they moved the server? Here's what I posted in the suggestion box:

"Just came back to swtor was confused about, which server had more west coast time zone players. For this reason I think it's important to label Satele Shan West, so any players are aware of what to except when timing ops and peak times with their guilds. In my opinion with the modern backbones of the internet physical location is irrelevant, but knowing what server potentially fits you're time schedule is important!"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posted this in the suggestion forum, I think the fact that the continental us sprawls 4 time zones labeling it based on timezone is more relevant than physical location of the server. I think this is the way it used to be? So i'm not sure why they would change it when they moved the server? Here's what I posted in the suggestion box:

"Just came back to swtor was confused about, which server had more west coast time zone players. For this reason I think it's important to label Satele Shan West, so any players are aware of what to except when timing ops and peak times with their guilds. In my opinion with the modern backbones of the internet physical location is irrelevant, but knowing what server potentially fits you're time schedule is important!"

Good point

There used to be a West Coast data center. Servers were labeled by data center in NA. Now, there is just one data center in VA, so the servers are labeled for that center. West Coast players will have ping for the East Coast (about 85 ms for me) regardless of which server is chosen. There is now server for the West Coast any longer. They would have been better off to do a real mega server (or at least a double sized server, since the current ones are the size of Harbinger) rather then the two they have now.

There used to be a West Coast data center. Servers were labeled by data center in NA. Now, there is just one data center in VA, so the servers are labeled for that center. West Coast players will have ping for the East Coast (about 85 ms for me) regardless of which server is chosen. There is now server for the West Coast any longer. They would have been better off to do a real mega server (or at least a double sized server, since the current ones are the size of Harbinger) rather then the two they have now.

I think what he means is that it would be nice to have Satele Shan labeled as West Coast so that players from the West Coast can congregate there and know where more West Coast players are, to have a community better suited to their time zone.

I think what he means is that it would be nice to have Satele Shan labeled as West Coast so that players from the West Coast can congregate there and know where more West Coast players are, to have a community better suited to their time zone.

I have characters on both, it doesn't seem to matter. Further they changed the name when players complained that the West Coast server had lag as bad as the East Coast server. IMO, if they are going to call it West, it needs to be in the West. Personally, I expect they won't need 2 servers by this time next year.

This is how all games look like when they're about to shut down. Just look at how it happened with SWG. First they did super cheap server transfers, then free, and then they started closing down servers and merging it to just a couple. In about a couple months we will see some news about the roadmap and I'm sure it'll be full of things players always wanted. In SWG's case, atmospheric flight they added last minute before shutdown and it wrecked havoc for pvp, and they also did the restuss event again. I'm starting to see the final nails in the coffin being lined up now for SWTOR just waiting to be hammered in. BW gambled hard with CXP RNG and it failed HORRIBLY. Now their recent endorsement of EXPLOITS and refuse to comment about the laundered GAZILLION credits, we have no economy. Edited by WaveRun