The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tenebrae, Kreia, and Wounds in the Force

DryBowserZero

I've recently been doing some research and theory crafting regarding Tenebrae's initial scheme to wipe out all life in the galaxy, and about Kreia's quest to destroy the Force. There is a striking relevance between the missions of these two characters, which I will describe here after giving some context on each character and their missions.

Kreia, after being exiled from the Jedi Order and then the Sith Order, sought a way to destroy the Force completely so as to prevent it's destructive influence on the galaxy. She saw the idea of the Force having a will of it's own as abhorrent, since countless lives were lost to maintain the so-called 'balance'. She discovered that the nature of Force wounds was to emit echoes, of sorts, that could be felt by Force-adepts throughout the galaxy, though the intensity of the wound's effect was largely dependent on proximity to it's source. As the first Death Star destroyed Alderaan, annihilating all life on the planet almost instantly, a Force wound was created that was felt by Obi-Wan Kenobi when he was all the way in the Outer Rim, near Tattooine. In contrast, the Jedi Exile was in the immediate proximity of the destruction of Malachor V caused by the Mass Shadow Generator. The catastrophic effects of the resulting Force wound sent echoes of such magnitude that the Exile was "deafened to the Force", as Kreia later described it.

When Kreia discovered this method of severing connection to the Force, she realised that, if a large enough Force wound was created, the echoes would be sent across the galaxy, "never reaching their destination" which would result in the entire galaxy being deafened to the Force. In Kreia's view, that was the equivalent of removing the influence of the will of the Force on the galaxy, which would open the way for free will at last.

After Tenebrae conducted a ritual that wiped out all life on Nathema - including the Force - to grant him immense power and longevity, he sought to complete an even greater ritual that would consume all life in the entire galaxy, making him truly immortal. He would then explore the universe, treating all existence according to his whim before killing them. He says to the Hero of Tython, "when the last living thing in the universe finally dies, I will enjoy peace, and wait for the cycle to begin again." His former Wrath, Lord Scourge, described the ritual as needing billions of simultaneous deaths in order to be completed. The Sith Emperor would feed on these deaths, augmenting his power to such levels that he would become like a God.

If Kreia were still alive by that time to hear of this plan, she would be quick to point out that such a ritual would create a Force wound of unimaginable depth; the effects of which may spread throughout the entire universe and would strip the Emperor of his connection to the Force. And without the Force to grant Vitiate his power and immortality, he would indeed be nothing but a simple man (as he describes himself being, at one stage in the future, to the Hero of Tython).

Evidently, Tenebrae had never heard Darth Traya's teachings on the nature of Force wounds.

Or, perhaps, he had secretly found a way to transcend the echoes of the Force wound entirely.

A more likely theory, in my opinion, is that the realization of the Force-wounding side effect of his ritual deterred him from his goal of universal annihilation, and so he instead shifted his focus to ruling the galaxy through the Eternal Empire in his form of Valkorion.

What do you think?

Despite Nathema being a black hole in the force, described it as not even having it in the first place, Tenebrae still managed to find a way for you and Lana to use the force there. So I'm going to go ahead and say it's probable he wouldn't do a ritual that would cut him off from the force, he'd feed on the deaths he caused and gain power just like he did on Nathema "There is no death, there is only the force. And I am it's master."