Advanced class help

happimeal

So i have a question. I am a level 22 Consular and I missed the opportunity to pick my advanced class the first time I had the chance. Also, my abilities panel has all of these abilities that say See Trainer. So my question is, i am currently on Ord Mandell, how do I get back to where I can pick my advanced class, and will that be the process that unlocks all of these abilities. I tried to just get in my ship and fly back to the fleet, but it would not let me. I am sorry if this is very basic, this is my very first attempt at playing an MMO.

Thank You!

It says I am a sentinel, however I am playing the Consular role, so I thought I could only choose from Sage or Shadow.

Also, where do I find the skill trainer, I have all these abilities that say See Trainer.

Thank you!

Edited by happimeal

It says I am a sentinel, however I am playing the Consular role, so I thought I could only choose from Sage or Shadow.

Also, where do I find the skill trainer, I have all these abilities that say See Trainer.

Thanks for the quick response.

If you are a Sentinel, you can't be a Consular. Sentinel is a Knight Advanced Class (along with Guardian). Also, you cannot change your AC, once you choose it. So if you want to play a Sage or Shadow, you need to make a new character and choose one or the other. Or make two new characters, one a Sage, and one a Shadow, and play both to see which you like better. Since they are both Consular classes, they will have the same Class Story, but the playstiles will be very different.

Class trainers are on Fleet in the Combat Training area, on Coruscant under the Senate Plaza, and on pretty much every other planet, more or less in or near the "new arrivals" area (IOW not too far from wherever you exit the spaceport or shuttle when you first show up). There are also trainers on the "starter" planets, but only for the classes that start there (IOW no Jedi trainers on Ord Mantell, and no non-Jedi trainers on Tython).

You can also buy a "holotrainer", so you can train new abilities anywhere, but they are fairly rare drops from cartel packs, so can be pretty expensive, especially for new players. There is a Satele Shan holostatue for Republic Classes, and a Darth Malgus one for Imperial classes. Check the GTN for prices (currently 14 million to 20 million credits on Harbinger).

Maybe I thought i picked Consular, however I noticed when I press K to open the skills tree, nothing happens, that is why I feel like I missed the advanced class.

Is there a way to see if I even selected an advanced class?

Sentinel is an advanced class (for Jedi Knight). If you're a Sentinel, that is your advanced class. If you are asking about disciplines, those are accessed by pressing "K" (default setting) but can also be accessed from the menu at the top of your screen.

Also, these days you can't NOT be an advanced class since you pick it when you create the character. (That is, there's no way to create a plain old Consular, Knight, Trooper, Smuggler, Agent, Bounty Hunter, Warrior, or Inquisitor.)

I find it interesting that not one of the previous answers pointed that out.

EDIT: and no, there aren't any skill trees either, just disciplines. (In effect, you are forced to follow just one of the old-style trees, no hybrids allowed.)

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Look on your mini-map. Your skill trainer will show up as a "^" symbol (but larger than that) and it will have a green "+" symbol at the bottom, if you have skills to be trained.

On the main map ("M"), you can select to show skill trainers on the left (where you can select from vendors, taxis, etc.)

If your character says it's a "Sentinel", that is your advanced class and you are a Jedi Knight, not a Consular.

So i have a question. I am a level 22 Consular and I missed the opportunity to pick my advanced class the first time I had the chance. Also, my abilities panel has all of these abilities that say See Trainer. So my question is, i am currently on Ord Mandell, how do I get back to where I can pick my advanced class, and will that be the process that unlocks all of these abilities. I tried to just get in my ship and fly back to the fleet, but it would not let me. I am sorry if this is very basic, this is my very first attempt at playing an MMO.

1. If your "head" says you are Sentinel you are a Knight and need to find Knight trainer.
  2. Sentinel is your advanced class, which you pick when you create the character and cannot change.
  3. Both Consular and Knight starts on Tython.
  4. You can find trainer of both classes on Tython, Fleet, and most plot planets (e.g. Nar Shadda). Your mini-map display them as an yellow upward arrow (^), and if there are skills to train there'll be a green cross below the arrow (⤉).
  5. Since you start from Tython, you can't reach Ord Mandell without a ship. I'm not sure what you mean by "can't fly back to fleet", but if you open your ability window and check your "General" abilities you should see "Emergency Fleet Pass".
  6. Right click the fleet pass to travel back to fleet. Note that you can't do it in space ports and orbital stations; you need to move to an "open area" first.
  7. The trainers are in the "Combat Training" section of the fleet - southwest on the map, or go forward and turn left if you use fleet pass.
  8. You can't change (adv.) class, but you can decide your "Discipline" after level 10, which for sentinel specify whether you are burst dps, dot dps, or quasi dps. You can preview and select your discipline from the "Combat Proficiencies" window, under the character dropdown in the main menu. You can visit the skill mentor on fleet (same section) to change your mind.

Edited by ElleSheepy