The Force - Which Way Does It Work?

StealthParanoia

Ever since I started watching Star Wars and playing the games, I'd always been under the impression that the Force is controlled by Force-wielders somehow knowing the ins and outs of an object and being able to communicate with its midi-chlorians, forcing it to do things like move.

But as I have seen in some games like TFU (Yes, I know it's non-canon) and even in the Hope trailer, it seems that people are thinking the Force is some kind of air-cannon.

Like a Jedi would push his hand and everything 10 metres in front would fly away.

So does anyone know how (canonically) it's actually meant to work? Because I thought it was the first way.

Note: What made me think of this was: "Luke Skywalker was meant to be some kind of Force prodigy and the most he could do was move a lightsaber by grimacing at it for an hour and here's this lad clearing an entire hallway with a cough." - Ben Croshaw about TFU.

Thanks.

~Finchyy

Edit: What I mean by "Hope trailer" is the bit where she thrusts her hands towards Malgus and everything including him gets thrown backwards. And when she pulls the bark of the tree and it propels off like it's been suffering from elastic tension.

Edited by StealthParanoia

Your first mistake was thinking about midichlorians, even George realised his mistake and never brought them up again. =p Further logical contradictions would be metal boxes containing midichlorians since metal can't contain living cells.

The Force is an energy field that surrounds everything and binds the galaxy together. Thus you probably could just as easily lift a rock as you can propel the air in front of you forward to create a push, it's basically a direct vs. an indirect application of the Force to a target. And since Sith probably know techniques to cancel the Force being applied directly to them the indirect Force push was probably the better choice for Satele.

But, y'know, it's all fantasy, this is all guesswork in the end.

no seriously, don't try to get philosophical or scientific about Star Wars... it's Fantasy Sci-Fi at its best : it makes no sense except in its own universe. don't try to explain it, just like it...

it's kinda like a religion... but compared to religions, everybody agrees the ultimate truth : it doesn't exists.

Edited by Haristo

It's been said that the hand motions are basically the wielder assisting themselves, it helps them visualise what they're supposed to do.

A more experienced Force user can just do these things without even looking at them. Just look at Vader in Empire Strikes Back, he threw stuff at Luke without emoting the throwing motion or even looking at the objects.

But for the most part it's just visual reference. Especially if multiple Force users are involved you kind of want to know which of them is lifting that rock or throwing that droid. So they have them emoting to make it clear to the audience it's them pushing those droids.

Oh no need to apologise, I just mention that both in and out of the Star Wars universe, midichlorians are largely ignored, glossed over, or forgotten about.

And well, as to the TFU inconsistency, keep in mind that TFU was designed to purposely be the most over the top Star Wars game ever. I would take whatever it displays with a pinch, or a barrel, of salt.

i think midichorians were retconned somewhere to be indicators of the force sensitivity not providers of it, the same way a parasite feeds off nutrients they simply feed on the force

you can feel a tapeworm inside you that doesnt mean it gives you the ability to feel