Buying a new computer

Dragondog

I'm going to buy a new computer and I'm thinking of the following:

* Fractal Design Define R5 - Black Pearl.

* ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING - ATX / Z370.

* EVGA Power Supply (PSU) SuperNOVA G3 750W Gold Rated.

* ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB OC

* Intel i7-8700K

* 1-2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (1x16GB) / 3000MHz / DDR4 / CL15

* 1-2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD 500GB

* Seagate Barracuda 1TB

* Cryorig H5 Ultimate

* Windows 10

* ASUS BC-12D2HT

I started assembling it before the new 8700K was released and have made a couple of changes since then. What do you think? Anything missing? Something I should consider changing?

Edited by Dragondog

Seems to be a pretty well-thought list. I can't think of anything that is missing or out of place, except perhaps some good monitors.

You will want dual channel ram. Don't use one ram. 32GB ram is I think overkill, 2x8=16GB should be enought for gaming, and leave you two slots for future expansion (which I doubt you'll need).

On the other hand, one SSD is fast enough. The absent of RAID also make sure the data is easy to recover when the motherboard dies.

Max power draw 1080Ti=300W, 8700k=85W. The psu does not have enough capacity for SLI, but is a bit overkill for single card.

1TB is not much for a data drive. If you don't have much data then fine. If you record your plays for example you may want a bigger one (shouldn't be a problem given the spec I see here).

Also Seagate have relatively high failure rate, I personally prefer HGST. Don't just grab the cheapest HDD you can; a good harddisk can find a second life in your next computer so it's worth the investment. I am using Enterprise Deskstar.

Seems to be a pretty well-thought list. I can't think of anything that is missing or out of place, except perhaps some good monitors.

You will want dual channel ram. Don't use one ram. 32GB ram is I think overkill, 2x8=16GB should be enought for gaming, and leave you two slots for future expansion (which I doubt you'll need).

On the other hand, one SSD is fast enough. The absent of RAID also make sure the data is easy to recover when the motherboard dies.

Max power draw 1080Ti=300W, 8700k=85W. The psu does not have enough capacity for SLI, but is a bit overkill for single card.

1TB is not much for a data drive. If you don't have much data then fine. If you record your plays for example you may want a bigger one (shouldn't be a problem given the spec I see here).

Also Seagate have relatively high failure rate, I personally prefer HGST. Don't just grab the cheapest HDD you can; a good harddisk can find a second life in your next computer so it's worth the investment. I am using Enterprise Deskstar.

I started with a build from the store. Changed some things to make it suit my needs more. And then made the i8700K changes. The store used a 650W PSU in its build and as I increased the power draw, I upgraded one step.

They used the Seagate in their recommended build. I'm not set on it in any way. The old harddisks will still be in use in the old computer.

I was thinking of using the second SSD to record on

What makes you think this is trolling?

Because this is the new player forum not the check out my expensive PC I just put together for a game released in 2011. To me it just feels like someone showing up at Walmart with an expensive car showing it off to the poor people.

Edited by LordSkyKnight

Because this is the new player forum not the check out my expensive PC I just put together for a game released in 2011. To me it just feels like someone showing up at Walmart with an expensive car showing it off to the poor people.

Well, if someone think a new PC will solve the performance problem of this game, yes I think it is reasonable to accept (s)he is a new player. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of using the second SSD to record on

Well, I'd say don't do that. One big ssd generally works better (faster and longer) than two small ones, and the main limitation is connector speed at 6Gb/s.

I record my HD at low compressed high quality setting (read: very inefficient) with OBS, at around 1.5MB/s, or 12Mb/s, to my venerable main SSD. After I logout I re-encode to roughly 1/8th the size before moving them to hdd. The point of these numbers is one ssd is enough, I don't see a reason to dedicate an ssd instead of upgrading to 1T or 850 Pro.

Edited by ElleSheepy

* EVGA Power Supply (PSU) SuperNOVA G3 750W Gold Rated.

* 1-2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (1x16GB) / 3000MHz / DDR4 / CL15

* 1-2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD 500GB

* Cryorig H5 Ultimate

- Unless you intend to SLI two 1080Ti's, the power supply is a bit overkill. But not all that much overkill, and it won't hurt anything. (You could easily stick with the original 650 watt PSU.)

- not sure what "1-2" means here, but you should use the RAM in pairs to enable faster dual-channel access. Either 2x8 (for 16Gigs) or 2x16 (for 32Gigs) or 4x8 (for 32Gig). For this level of machine, don't buy just 1 stick of RAM expecting to buy another later. The motherboard has 4 RAM slots, so you could buy 2x8 now and another 2x 8 later.

- I'd recommend you buy the M.2 NVMe version of the SSD(s).

- If you don't plan to overclock, the Cryorg cooler is overkill. A basic CM Hyper T4 would do fine. If you do plan to overclock, I'd recommend an AIO water cooling loop instead.

- don't forget the RBG light strips. ;)

Edited by JediQuaker

- Unless you intend to SLI two 1080Ti's, the power supply is a bit overkill. But not all that much overkill, and it won't hurt anything. (You could easily stick with the original 650 watt PSU.)

- not sure what "1-2" means here, but you should use the RAM in pairs to enable faster dual-channel access. Either 2x8 (for 16Gigs) or 2x16 (for 32Gigs) or 4x8 (for 32Gig). For this level of machine, don't buy just 1 stick of RAM expecting to buy another later. The motherboard has 4 RAM slots, so you could buy 2x8 now and another 2x 8 later.

- I'd recommend you buy the M.2 NVMe version of the SSD(s).

- If you don't plan to overclock, the Cryorg cooler is overkill. A basic CM Hyper T4 would do fine. If you do plan to overclock, I'd recommend an AIO water cooling loop instead.

- don't forget the RBG light strips. ;)

I don't want a water cooling loop in my computer. That seems too much like asking for it to permanently and fatally stop working.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about getting a new PC as well - with Windows 7, because I just can't stand the modern Windows UI. Now THAT would be a troll attempt ! :D

But seriously - everywhere except in gaming I see Windows 7 still. Yes, even the PC shop people admitted that they had Win7 running and that no-one in their enviironments liked the new Windows UI.

The bad thing with that is, however, that Microsoft apparingly refuses to put out new updates in the combinaton of Ryzen / Kaby Lake plus Windows 7. I don't know why they decided to do so, but it was all over in the press this March.

This rules out most of the better processors for me, sadly. Especially AMD.

However, another PC shop employee claims that PCs with Windows 7 still *do* get updates from Microsoft with Ryzen in them ... He even told me that this happened with a PC he had build only "recently". I have no possibility to confirm or falsify that.

Now I'm waiting for better answers on that matter, but still I'm a bit confused, becvause since the press releases, no-one tested whether this was actually so. I simply have never seen in the press any reports of people actually ( ! ) testing whether Microsoft rolls out updates with this combination or not.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I'm about getting a new PC as well - with Windows 7, because I just can't stand the modern Windows UI. Now THAT would be a troll attempt !

Sometime last year, I accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 (long story). I thought at the time that I would therefore try 10 for a while and go back to 7 if I didn't like it. And here I am still using 10. :)

My main concern with Windows 10 was the possible lack of privacy, etc, not the UI**. Really, the only difference in the UI (after you set things up the way you like) is the "Start" button with the tablet style buttons. I have to say I've gotten very used to that now, and other than the Start button, my Windows 10 looks and acts just like Windows 7.

Anywho - I fully support the idea of staying with Windows 7, but if that means you can't use the latest gen processors, I don't think it's worth the fuss. Personally, I'd go for Linux if it wasn't such a pain to run SWTOR under anything but Windows.

SWTOR has worked just fine for me in spite of the move from Windows 7 to 10, and in spite of the Creator's Update and the Fall Creator's Update. (Some people have reported problems, but most of them are due to drivers.)

** It's been reported that many of the latest updates to Windows 7, install many of the same data collecting functions of 10, so the privacy concerns have become somewhat moot.

Edited by JediQuaker

Except, this isn't Walmart and it's not just "poor people" who shop at Wally's. :)

It's more like someone showing up to the party with an iPhone X. :p

My parents do have Windows 10, and since I'm the only one in the family with IT knowledge ("in a kingdom of blind ones, a one-eyed one is king") I had to help them.

After a while I felt like Vercingetorix before Caesar. I just couldn't find ANYTING within that system which I could find within 10 seconds in my WinXPProf.

It's just a pain to me trying to understand that UI.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

The Nvidia 1080 is overpriced and there isn't much of a difference between the 1070. I've had my 1070 since Christmas and I love it. I have (3) 4K monitors hooked up and use them simultaneously everyday. You should also really reconsider getting a regular non-overpriced water cooler. I bought an Antec ($65) 2 years ago and it's awesome. My i7-4770 3.4Ghz was overheating all the time with a regular fan. It wasn't even overclocked. Now it doesn't go over 105 degrees while it's overclocked, with the 1070 overclocked and my systems is running (3) 3.5" and (2) SSD drives.

I switched from Windows 8 to 10 this summer. I put it off since it launched but now I don't know why I waited so long. Once you get use to the start menu, it's the most annoying change. But you can modify it so it's not so different. There's so many other options that are so nice. Just a small fix is the multiple monitor nightmare. If you have a laptop or PC with multiple monitors and you unplug one or don't power it on, the main display will bounce back and forward between them. Then when you plug in the 2nd monitor or turn it on if it was off, the main display will bounce back and forth and make the opposite the monitor the main display. It's a total pain. Now you can do either and it won't even blink. The best part is the system boots up in less than 8 seconds and when you log in, everything is loaded in a few seconds and you can start using it right away.

The best part is the system boots up in less than 8 seconds and when you log in, everything is loaded in a few seconds and you can start using it right away.

I suspect you are using an SSD as your OS (or main) drive. My SSD based system also boots up in only a few seconds, but I've recently done two Windows 10 installations on hard drives, and the boot up is not that fast. (Basically, a bit faster than Windows 7.)

I suspect you are using an SSD as your OS (or main) drive. My SSD based system also boots up in only a few seconds, but I've recently done two Windows 10 installations on hard drives, and the boot up is not that fast. (Basically, a bit faster than Windows 7.)

SSDs are just incredible to have. Things are just so much faster with them. I'm glad I have one when I got my new computer this year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.