The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dye Mod

Mikel_p

Hey Cartel Team:

I wanted to throw an idea out there for dye mods hoping you may be able to work on it at some point...I am a college football fan and have noticed the different Chrome-colored helmets there...i think it would be neat if you were able to give us different chrome-colored dye mods...Even if it is just primary/secondary only... it would still be cool...hope somebody that matters reads this ;)

You're not the first one to ask for this, and BW certainly read it by now, but it's a bit more complicated than the current dye modules that just override the surface's color tint. Chrome, Silver, Gold etc, aren't just colors. Chrome's actual color is a blueish light gray, it's the reflectivity that gives it the metallic look.

3D models use a couple of extra textures to determine the specularity (making lit areas brighter the closer they are to the light source) and reflection (showing a (fake) mirror image of the surroundings) of a surface. Dull materials have low values, glossy plastic has high specularity but low reflection, and metal has high values in both.

In order to have a metallic or glossy dye module, BW would first need to rework all existing armor models and textures so that the dyeable areas can change their reflectivity on the fly. If BW ever invested that kind of time and money, expect a flood of metallic dyes at a very hefty price (which would be justified as opposed to the price of a B/B module)

Edited by Mubrak

You're not the first one to ask for this, and BW certainly read it by now, but it's a bit more complicated than the current dye modules that just override the surface's color tint. Chrome, Silver, Gold etc, aren't just colors. Chrome's actual color is a blueish light gray, it's the reflectivity that gives it the metallic look.

3D models use a couple of extra textures to determine the specularity (making lit areas brighter the closer they are to the light source) and reflection (showing a (fake) mirror image of the surroundings) of a surface. Dull materials have low values, glossy plastic has high specularity but low reflection, and metal has high values in both.

In order to have a metallic or glossy dye module, BW would first need to rework all existing armor models and textures so that the dyeable areas can change their reflectivity on the fly. If BW ever invested that kind of time and money, expect a flood of metallic dyes at a very hefty price (which would be justified as opposed to the price of a B/B module)

Yes, quite. This is how Dawn of War 2 did the metallic colors(and why they were impossible to do in Dawn of War 1):

You have your RGB Hex value for your typical color. This is a common knowledge. #FFFFFF being white and #000000 being black. Everything else being between. Say, #ABCDEF being some kind of turquoise(it turns out it's rather nice light blue color!). But what DoW 2 did was it implemented another RGB Hex value and added it to the look of color. #FFFFFF with #AAAAFF would be a white color with light bluish reflection.

Now, the systems that link these two are basically one AND gate. But in programming, it's never so easy. So, it took quite some creativity to implement it. Because that was unavailable(completely non present) in DoW 1, you couldn't have true metallic shines.

I guess the same applies to SWTOR. There is no RGB Hex field to input the value for that metallic shine.

But I'd LOVE to see it, sure!

Edited by Cuiwe

I am aware that this is simply wishful thinking on my part... still a cool thought worth the suggestion....another thing i would like to see is a Kolto-theme tuning to add to my healers... again wishful thinking....:)