Target not an enemy bug?

Xerkics

As mentioned you can go to the area known as Outlaw's Den on Tatooine which is an FFA (Free For All - I'm not too lazy to type it out. :) ) area where anyone can fight anyone, or you can challenge individual players to a "duel" if they're the same faction as you. (If I recall, you right-click on a person's portrait and select duel, but...)

Perhaps you or your friend didn't have your PvP flag on - if that's still a thing. (I don't know, I don't PvP.)

Edited by JediQuaker

Perhaps you or your friend didn't have your PvP flag on - if that's still a thing. (I don't know, I don't PvP.)
Not a "thing" anymore, since they did away with PVP servers (or made them all PVP servers, however you like to spin it).

There's a toggle on the bottom of your minimap. Set it to PVE and you will be put into the PVE instance of whatever planet. Set it to PVP, and you will go to the PVP instance. But as noted, you can't attack players of the same faction, even in a PVP instance, unless you go to a "Free For All" area. And even there, you won't be able to attack players you are grouped with. And like other instanced areas, if you are in different instances (one in the PVP instance, and the other in the PVE instance), you won't even see them, much less be able to target/attack them.

Edited by Adric_the_Red