The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard damage (shield spec) just terrible

Cjezka

dont get fooled shield spec is a tank spec it even written defense on the tree , you have to switch to plasma cell to see a great increase in damage with the right tree ( assault).

texoc the guy deal a lot of damage for a ion cell , he must have a big *** crit multiplyer

Lots of Heals and being a higher level always helps too. Look at the heals on his team hard not to do a ton of dps when you are not dying.

I went Tactics partly to level and also to pvp. And to be quite honest, I love it. As a vanguard I'm already very durable and I enjoy the consistent in your face game play that this class advanced class offers. The reality is that people who roll Vanguard to deal damage needed to realize what in my opinion is the true roll of a Vanguard in PVP... Which is really to distrupt/protect-defend/distract and harass the other players so that your damage dealers can mow them down.

By no means am I saying we can't deal quality burst damage or even kill players as well as others. But I quite often find myself at the top of the warzone rankings but doing a combination of protecting teammates and staying on top of squishy targets dealing a consistent amount of damage. I often times find myself picking my teams highest damage dealer and just casting Guard on them.

In the end its about perspective. If you picked Vanguard to be an all out damage dealer - I think you picked the wrong class. If you want a very tanky and distruptive/consistent damage then you've selected correctly.

Again, this is all my opinion.

you arent going to see much of a difference if you spec into one of the dps trees. fact is vanguard damage from aim scaling is very poor. anyone claiming a 2.5k stockstrike crit i think is exaggerating substantially.

this slowdown is why when i hit 47 i couldnt handle it anymore and started playing other classes. i'd go empire if it wasn't a 5:1 ratio of empire vs. republic on my server. one can only stand so much huttball

I've gotten 2.5k crit stockstrikes before, quite a bit, and always got a medal for it.

However, this is when I was lvl 14 and no one was lvl 50 yet. Swapped servers and started over and noticed with everyone better geared and higher level, those 2.5k crits never happened again.

So 2.5k crits were very possible before. Not so much now.

Shield Vanguard DPS isn't great, but your survivability is amazing.

I just hit 50 and I got two trinkets (both shields) and about 4 cooldowns. I pop a whole bunch at the same time and I can tank the entire enemy team for about 30s and keep them capping a flag. The vast majority of my dps is from AOEing. My weapon sux though and I need an upgraded barrel.

Edited by ComeAndSee

you arent going to see much of a difference if you spec into one of the dps trees. fact is vanguard damage from aim scaling is very poor. anyone claiming a 2.5k stockstrike crit i think is exaggerating substantially.

this slowdown is why when i hit 47 i couldnt handle it anymore and started playing other classes. i'd go empire if it wasn't a 5:1 ratio of empire vs. republic on my server. one can only stand so much huttball

It's all about play style.

I'm 31 into tactics atm an lvl 42. I've been hitting 2.3k stockstrikes since I was lvl 33. Flame surge (or whatever its called) crits for 2.5k all the time.

I'm doing 240k in sc's and guarding for 50-60k (that's peak). Average is 170k dam and 30-40k guard. A bad sc is 100k damage and 30k guard.

I am constantly moving, and am in melee range a lot for stockstrike, gut, pulse burst and flame surge.

I went Tactics partly to level and also to pvp. And to be quite honest, I love it. As a vanguard I'm already very durable and I enjoy the consistent in your face game play that this class advanced class offers. The reality is that people who roll Vanguard to deal damage needed to realize what in my opinion is the true roll of a Vanguard in PVP... Which is really to distrupt/protect-defend/distract and harass the other players so that your damage dealers can mow them down.

I completely agree with this, but I would like to add that it is very possible to achieve the same sort of disruption/protect-defend/distract/harass role in PVP as a Shield Vanguard. :)

I frequently put myself into five-on-one fights where I fully expect to eventually die, but keep the enemies' attention long enough for the bomb to be placed/ball to be carried/zone to be capped -- as well as typically kill at least one target in the process.

Similarly, Shield Vanguards are also great at nabbing a single target and taking them out...although, when it comes to beat on healers, I am jealous of the Tactics tree's 4 second Riot Strike :)