Assault

Thodra

Hey Troopers!

At the moment, i'm Gunnery level 24. When i read the spec's.. Gunnery and Assault.. The Assault somehow sounds more interesting, so i should take that. BUT. Can Assault compete with Gunnery in PVE?

What i understand, Assault is more DOT orientated. Can these dots keep up compaired to Gunnery?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on a situation. If you managed to find a calm place for shooting without interrupting -Gunnery terminates everything on the way. Numbers are just sweet. The last time max crit by Demolition with 5 gravs was about 3.4k. AS doesn't give such damage no matter what he does. Actually he does but it needs time the target burned to the end of the Dot timer. If you're in a mess, AS is better in some cases but arguable.

I'm gunnery 41lvl, feel happy. Rerolled twice on different lvls to AS and always back to Gunnery. Don't want to change anything anymore.

Edited by dejavy

1st of all, my highest hitting ability in a wz crits for 3.6k as assault so the "burst" dmg of both specs is pretty much a wash. Where gunnery trumps assault is in two places. One gunnery is much more reliable on consistant dps fights, the resource management in gunery isnt a lot better than assault but its good enough that the longer the fight goes on the wider the dps difference will be. Second is that in a stationary situation gunnery will always come out on top simply because gunnery's castable abilities hit harder than assault's. However, where assault shines is in movement situations. Dont get me wrong, the dps u can pull on a movement fight, with either spec, is not good at all. The only time you could break 200k damage done in a fight with constant movement is if there were tons of mobs and you use tons of incindiary rounds. Which of course if your doing that you are doing something terribly wrong. In any case the small dps that incindiary, plastque, impact bolt and your shot ability have is marginally better than gunnery. So, what does this mean basically? It means that when it comes to any kind of situation where you have to constantly switch targets or move away / toward something the choice of which is better in pve will not be so cut and dry. This is why dual talenting would be a good thing for bioware to add *cough* people *cough*. For the meantime i would stick with gunnery for pve unless you pvp a lot in which case you will be able to make assault work for pve just fine. As gear scales more gunnery will become much more viable, but right now its a wash since movement is such a big part of any mmo pve.

I'm one of those freakish PvE Assault Spec Commandos running around, it would seem. Level 21 only, but mobs drop rapidly enough to where I can't see Gunnery really being noticeably faster, at least when just questing. Perhaps on Boss encounters where the small differences in damage will be obviously more significant on long fights. Edited by Rustcan

1st of all, my highest hitting ability in a wz crits for 3.6k as assault so the "burst" dmg of both specs is pretty much a wash. Where gunnery trumps assault is in two places. One gunnery is much more reliable on consistant dps fights, the resource management in gunery isnt a lot better than assault but its good enough that the longer the fight goes on the wider the dps difference will be. Second is that in a stationary situation gunnery will always come out on top simply because gunnery's castable abilities hit harder than assault's. However, where assault shines is in movement situations. Dont get me wrong, the dps u can pull on a movement fight, with either spec, is not good at all. The only time you could break 200k damage done in a fight with constant movement is if there were tons of mobs and you use tons of incindiary rounds. Which of course if your doing that you are doing something terribly wrong. In any case the small dps that incindiary, plastque, impact bolt and your shot ability have is marginally better than gunnery. So, what does this mean basically? It means that when it comes to any kind of situation where you have to constantly switch targets or move away / toward something the choice of which is better in pve will not be so cut and dry. This is why dual talenting would be a good thing for bioware to add *cough* people *cough*. For the meantime i would stick with gunnery for pve unless you pvp a lot in which case you will be able to make assault work for pve just fine. As gear scales more gunnery will become much more viable, but right now its a wash since movement is such a big part of any mmo pve.

I would believe you if you provided a screenshot, but otherwise I'm guessing you had the Expertise buff and crit someone that was fully sundered to zero armour (Guardian sunder stacks with each other and Grav Rounds for a lot of mitigation). I easily crit for that much with expertise, but counting that against people without expertise is silly since it negates each other.