SWTOR Certificate Hotfix soon?

republicinator

Well, I don't know if any devs or anyone associated with the dev team will see this but its worth a shot. Will there be a hot fix for this certificate authentication issue soon? or will it be a while until this is properly addressed. This is causing me to have my sub time waste away because a "launcher update" caused the certificates to completely disappear. This REALLY, REALLY needs to get fixed soon devs, GET ON THIS PLEASE! Edited by republicinator

I am not sure this is fixable

What OS are you using ? from what I can gather XP and Vista appear not be getting root certificate updates anymore due to being unsupported OS by Microsoft

The certificates all have expiry dates and the one that was used by the launcher expires in October so they renewed it.

There is a temp workaround to revert to the old launcher however this will only work until October as once that certificate expires it will stop working , this workaround can be found at this Link

I am using Win 10 and have had no issue with the launcher update for example

Edited by OwenBrooks

I am not sure this is fixable

What OS are you using ? from what I can gather XP and Vista appear not be getting root certificate updates anymore due to being unsupported OS by Microsoft

The certificates all have expiry dates and the one that was used by the launcher expires in October so they renewed it.

There is a temp workaround to revert to the old launcher however this will only work until October as once that certificate expires it will stop working , this workaround can be found at this Link

I am using Win 10 and have had no issue with the launcher update for example

I'm not using a windows OS. I'm using a MacOS (playonmac) which I can't get the reddit workaround to work at all. It was working fine a few nights ago but now my sub time is just wasting away because of this. My playonmac uses windows XP but I'm not sure how to change it.

Not sure how exactly this working,could you use virtual machine of win7 as temprary fix ?

I wonder,does that mean if i using win 7,the swtor will stop working for me as well? becoz,thats only system where swtor working almost without problems.

I did Tested run swtor on win 10,it was awfully slow,everything worked like on broken slideshow,and it was computer of my friend with i5 processor,totaly new back then.The win 10 did just eating whole network for himself. I dont want know how slow it would work on my own computer if i will need instal win 10. :mad:

Your top post doesn't even mention you are playing on an unsupported OS. You shouldn't make player force you to cough up relevant details like that.

The devs need to fix it for Windows XP. When that happens, it will *probably* be fixed for Linux and Mac at the same time. Alternatively, you can build Wine yourself from source, and incorporate the patch that a SWTOR user made that adds the new certificate type.

But really, lets get the workaround going. If it reverted, I suspect you did not remove or rename the /patch and /bitraider subdirectories. That's just a guess: you may have failed to save launcher.settings or accidentally brought in a new one. In the other thread, someone had a copy named launcher.settings.settings that he was modifying (that his Windows box displays as "launcher.settings", because Windows often cuts off file extensions because Windows is awful).

Basically, walk through what you did and maybe the community can help. PoM, PoL... all the Wine based solutions, all of them are not supported by Bioware officially. I'm sure they'll help when they can though. My hope is that whatever they do for Windows XP will work for us though. Also I think you should get the workaround going, because once the fix is live you'll want to remove the

, "skip_self_patch": true

line from launcher.settings and have it suck down a correct one (whenever one exists). But if you are suffering from the bug, it just sits there and spins a CPU up and leaves it spinning- it isn't doing anything useful, such as grabbing a new patch. You'd probably need to end up at least partially reinstalling if you don't have the workaround working.

I do not know if you all have seen any of my post on this issue, or i should say my issue with this issue? If so you should notice my issue with launcher as nothing to do with a certificate error. The launcher was working great til 2 days ago. I launched the Launcher, it popped up like normal i seen it say it was Updating the Launcher and 3 seconds later the whole launcher just disappeared in front of my eyes. I looked down to my task bar at the bottom to see if it minamized it self, and it had not.

So i wait 15 minutes, still nothing so i look in task manager and saw it running, so i gave a couple more minutes still to no avail, nothing. I turned off the process and tried launching the launcher again and it wont even pop open no more, Absolutely Nothing opens up nothing happens at all, no errors of any kind let alone a Certificate error, but it sits in task manager like its running but it isnt. Last night just to see how long it would stay in task b4 i shut it off 3 hours, from 7pm to 10pm. Also i seen another person say he got no certificate error, just all the letters of the word were jumbled. So either he is Dyslexic, or the Launcher is screwed up from updating in different ways.

Some having, Certificate issues, Jumbled letters and Mine, Launcher disappeared after the first launch on update day and dosnt open at all any more.

So i hope the Dev look past this CERTIFICATE error and see about the other issue that this update has caused.

If so you should notice my issue with launcher as nothing to do with a certificate error. The launcher was working great til 2 days ago. I launched the Launcher, it popped up like normal i seen it say it was Updating the Launcher and 3 seconds later the whole launcher just disappeared in front of my eyes.

This is what the certificate error looked like to me. Have you tried the reddit fix where you revert to an older version? It never popped up a box that said "certificate error" (to actually see that I had to run the repair tool, which DID actually claim a cert error). I believe you have the cert error. What OS and version are you on?

This is what the certificate error looked like to me. Have you tried the reddit fix where you revert to an older version? It never popped up a box that said "certificate error" (to actually see that I had to run the repair tool, which DID actually claim a cert error). I believe you have the cert error. What OS and version are you on?

Vista 64 SP2...

Your top post doesn't even mention you are playing on an unsupported OS. You shouldn't make player force you to cough up relevant details like that.

The devs need to fix it for Windows XP. When that happens, it will *probably* be fixed for Linux and Mac at the same time. Alternatively, you can build Wine yourself from source, and incorporate the patch that a SWTOR user made that adds the new certificate type.

But really, lets get the workaround going. If it reverted, I suspect you did not remove or rename the /patch and /bitraider subdirectories. That's just a guess: you may have failed to save launcher.settings or accidentally brought in a new one. In the other thread, someone had a copy named launcher.settings.settings that he was modifying (that his Windows box displays as "launcher.settings", because Windows often cuts off file extensions because Windows is awful).

Basically, walk through what you did and maybe the community can help. PoM, PoL... all the Wine based solutions, all of them are not supported by Bioware officially. I'm sure they'll help when they can though. My hope is that whatever they do for Windows XP will work for us though. Also I think you should get the workaround going, because once the fix is live you'll want to remove the

line from launcher.settings and have it suck down a correct one (whenever one exists). But if you are suffering from the bug, it just sits there and spins a CPU up and leaves it spinning- it isn't doing anything useful, such as grabbing a new patch. You'd probably need to end up at least partially reinstalling if you don't have the workaround working.

Whenever I try to get the workaround working I just get the same error. I do everything (at least I think) correctly and it still comes up with the certificate error. If you have or know how to get the workaround working is there any pointers/tips you could give me?

I'm not using a windows OS. I'm using a MacOS (playonmac) which I can't get the reddit workaround to work at all. It was working fine a few nights ago but now my sub time is just wasting away because of this. My playonmac uses windows XP but I'm not sure how to change it.

i have the same issue except that i am am using playonlinux with it set to win10. running fine until it updated the launcher then disappeared

Vista 64 SP2...

Latest update

Alright folks, here is the current status from the team. Since Microsoft has dropped support for both Windows XP and Vista, it has been very challenging for us to work through a solution with them. Separately, the team is working to try to offer a solution for those of you who are still unable to play. Unfortunately, right now that is still not in place.

We apologize to those of you who are in that state, we are trying to arrive at a solution as soon as we can.

-eric

Whenever I try to get the workaround working I just get the same error. I do everything (at least I think) correctly and it still comes up with the certificate error. If you have or know how to get the workaround working is there any pointers/tips you could give me?

If you still have the cert error popping, it means you did not revert to the previous launcher version.

Let's try step by step:

1. Download the old version http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe

2. Save/copy the old version 1.8.2 to the game folder where the launcher.exe is.

3. Rename /patch and /bitraider to /11patch and /11bitraider (you can delete them later)

4. Save a copy of your launcher.settings file to your Documents folder

5. Edit copy of your launcher.settings in your Documents file by adding

as the second line of the file

6. Run LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe file. It should extract files, then close itself.

7. Copy launcher.settings from Documents back to the game folder. Overwrite the file in the game folder.

8. Try to run the game.

Any change?

I do not know if you all have seen any of my post on this issue, or i should say my issue with this issue? If so you should notice my issue with launcher as nothing to do with a certificate error. The launcher was working great til 2 days ago. I launched the Launcher, it popped up like normal i seen it say it was Updating the Launcher and 3 seconds later the whole launcher just disappeared in front of my eyes. I looked down to my task bar at the bottom to see if it minamized it self, and it had not.

So i wait 15 minutes, still nothing so i look in task manager and saw it running, so i gave a couple more minutes still to no avail, nothing. I turned off the process and tried launching the launcher again and it wont even pop open no more, Absolutely Nothing opens up nothing happens at all, no errors of any kind let alone a Certificate error, but it sits in task manager like its running but it isnt. Last night just to see how long it would stay in task b4 i shut it off 3 hours, from 7pm to 10pm. Also i seen another person say he got no certificate error, just all the letters of the word were jumbled. So either he is Dyslexic, or the Launcher is screwed up from updating in different ways.

Some having, Certificate issues, Jumbled letters and Mine, Launcher disappeared after the first launch on update day and dosnt open at all any more.

So i hope the Dev look past this CERTIFICATE error and see about the other issue that this update has caused.

i have the exact same problem and done the same thing since tuesday i think and i just renewed

As a note, I did *not* need to run any repair thing, to get the older version working. I extracted the old version of the launcher, overwriting everything when prompted, changed the launcher.settings, and renamed the bitraider and patch directories. I'm on Fedora Core 25 with Wine Staging 2.10. I know others have reported using the repair tool though.

If Bioware is having problems doing the update, then this puts us in a risky situation. It means that they may end up with an update that breaks Wine, but works with actual Windows XP. Currently, Wine will work if you get the patch, and I'm sure that will eventually find its way into the mainline. So we may have to do some other drama, depending.

Ok had some time again so i tried this work around. I followed the instructions verbatim. I did get to see the launcher, just like the frist day, it said, "Launcher is updating" or vice versa, then it disappeared. Abadit abadit Thats all folks. And i ended the task tried it again nothing pops up again.

So i went to one of the other threads i had posted in and tried a little different variation of the work around but using the newer LauncherRepairUtilityD2.0.1 added this line "skip_self_patch": true in Launcher.setting and then i executed LauncherRepairUtilityD2.0.1. Um Blah Blah Blah and it Worked, it worked i finally got to see " Certificate authentication failed, please contact customer support " So that worked. lol Sorry i try humor when i am frustrated. Any way i have exhausted the workarounds so, Stick a light-saber in me i am Done.

So i went to one of the other threads i had posted in and tried a little different variation of the work around but using the newer LauncherRepairUtilityD2.0.1 added this line "skip_self_patch": true in Launcher.setting and then i executed LauncherRepairUtilityD2.0.1. Um Blah Blah Blah and it Worked, it worked i finally got to see " Certificate authentication failed, please contact customer support " So that worked. lol Sorry i try humor when i am frustrated. Any way i have exhausted the workarounds so, Stick a light-saber in me i am Done.

The trick with "skip_self_patch": true is to prevent 1.8.2 to update to 2.0.1 (which causes cert problem). If you use 2.0.1 utility, you get the cert problem. It's pointless to use "skip_self_patch": true line with 2.0.1. 2.0.1 is the newest version, there is nothing to update it to.

What this workaround does is make you use the previous launcher 1.8.2 (before the Tuesday patch), and prevent it from updating to the newest 2.0.1, which causes the cert error.

The trick with "skip_self_patch": true is to prevent 1.8.2 to update to 2.0.1 (which causes cert problem). If you use 2.0.1 utility, you get the cert problem. It's pointless to use "skip_self_patch": true line with 2.0.1. 2.0.1 is the newest version, there is nothing to update it to.

What this workaround does is make you use the previous launcher 1.8.2 (before the Tuesday patch), and prevent it from updating to the newest 2.0.1, which causes the cert error.

Oh, that makes sense. *Palm Smack forehead* i mess with it tomorrow, just not in mood to do it now.

Thanks. & Stay Well..........

Ok i did it right this time and, HIP HIP HOOORAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!! It is alive and i am back in game every thing is working fine. Now ive been out of game for awhile i might pop in just to see if it still is working, as far as the launcher goes that is.

So as of awhile ago launcher worked and i was in game. So Thanking all that helped and for the workaround.

Take Care and Be Well......

If you still have the cert error popping, it means you did not revert to the previous launcher version.

Let's try step by step:

1. Download the old version http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe

2. Save/copy the old version 1.8.2 to the game folder where the launcher.exe is.

3. Rename /patch and /bitraider to /11patch and /11bitraider (you can delete them later)

6. Run LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe file. It should extract files, then close itself.

7. Copy launcher.settings from Documents back to the game folder. Overwrite the file in the game folder.

8. Try to run the game.

Any change?

every time I try to run the game it just creates a new patch and bit raider folders. And when I open the directory of where my SWTOR files are those files aren't there. I have to run the launcher utility to get those files.

Let's try step by step:

8. Try to run the game.

Any change?

it keeps adding in the files and when I run the 1.8.2 utility it keeps opening the NEW launcher.

Sorry about taking so long to post my launcher.settings. Things have been getting very busy around here especially with college starting soon. Hoping to post it ASAP

No worries :) Whenever you have time to fiddle with it.