The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tunings, Collections, and "Weapons Designer."

First off, I must say that I am disappointed with this decision. You have placed your profits over player Quality of life. Combined with my growing frustrations about cartel market items you sold for real money that STILL have broken textures and I'm really disinclined to give you money outside of my sub.

That said, this completely removes the value of tunings for me. I use legacy gear on Every. Single. Character. and I have about 40. I got my hands on two or three of these but now I don't even want to use them because they're too much hassle for what is purely cosmetic. I'm not going to pay 600 cartel coins ON TOP OF the price to acquire the tuning in the first place just to make my weapons flash when I could get something of real value like an extra character slot or two.

While a lot of players are scrambling to unlock everything on all their characters, others are like me deciding that tunings and cartel crystals aren't worth the hassle. Crafted ones work just as well.

If you want two make tunings/cartel crystals valuable, player friendly, and profitable I have two suggestions.

Either add weapons to outfit designer by the end of the year (and drop some hint that this is being worked on)

Or, completely remove the credit cost of taking cartel items out of weapons. It will still be a hassle to remove them when depositing gear back into the bank, but at least those items can sit in your inventory ready to be used, for free, on the characters for which they are unlocked.

P.S. Anyone want to buy the volatile tuning I just bought?

Edited by ZambedosNB

That's a whole lot of caps lock over how they are going to implement a feature that in all likelihood isn't going to get put in the game for a very long time, if at all. But sure make em separate. Or don't and create a slightly larger credit sink for people stamping similar outfits with different weapons and increase the max outfit slots. I really don't care.

The mechanics of Weapons designer are not the topic of this discussion. Preventing players from effectively taking advantage of legacy gear in a vain attempt at a cash grab is.

Seriously even the crystals I paid for and then unlocked to account with real money are now unusable in legacy gear. This is just pathetic really. I was fixing to go unlock all the crystals I like/use to account in collection so that they could be moved around, but nope. I thought that would work based on the below quote from the patch notes, but no. Congrats on achieving the exact opposite effect from what you wanted, while also screwing players QOL.

"Character bound Color Crystals and Weapon Tunings from the Cartel Market (direct sale or packs) can no longer be moved across characters via Legacy Weapons."

Not sure what the word "Character" is supposed to mean here if this is working as intended.

Edited by ZambedosNB

"Character bound Color Crystals and Weapon Tunings from the Cartel Market (direct sale or packs) can no longer be moved across characters via Legacy Weapons."

Not sure what the word "Character" is supposed to mean here if this is working as intended.

It means bound to a character rather than legacy bound. Note also the dev post on this subject. In 5.4 they will be fixing it so that any crystal/tuning that you have account-unlocked can be moved in legacy weapons. (It's all about closing a loophole that allowed people to unlock across their entire legacy without paying the unlock fee, but the exdcution was ... incorrect.)

I never used the exploit. What an akward way to fix it.

This should have been implemented the following way: if you want to sent and item to another toon that has the item unlocked or fully paid legacy unlock, it should be permitted. The effects of this decision are worse for those that have multiple toons of the same class (and may affect cartel sales): you have one legacy item such as a saber (or offhand as it happened to me yesterday) using a cartel crystals.

This decision has the following effects:

I cannot send my offhand to another toon unless I pay a ridiculous price to remove the cartel item....my other toon receives it, uses a cartel crystal to fit the slot (obtained from legally unlocked collection) since she does not have artifice...rinse and repeat....getting on artificer to craft a new crystal: EA wont get anything more but frustration.

For the main saber it is worse: then what is the point of using a cartel crystal at all if I can't pass on my lightsaber to another toon. I think I will stick to stock as I have pub/imps mirrors from now on (btw I don't give a damn about tunings: they are barely visible anyway and they don't do anything)

Edited by Eriamea