The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Sub-Light Subscription direct purchase $9.99

Here's an idea I came up with in a long thread where people felt they weren't getting a value with either a regular sub or preferred. This is a possible solution for people who never had use for lots of alts and just wanted to experience the game through one or two main toons. Ideally it would be something you purchase direct from Bioware outside of the Cartel Market much like you do time cards or straight from the swtor.com site.

The Sub-Light Subscription direct purchase $9.99 (2 toons per pack)

For $4.99 a month you get to do anything a full subscriber can do but only on ONE SINGLE TOON. The alts will be F2P/Preferred Status. Can you have more than one Sub-Light Subscription? Yes.

Intended for the type of player that likes to run a few operations a week, do a little PVP, have the ability to have their character advance in CXP, and catch up with their guildies. These types of players existed in larger numbers around the time of Oricon dropping off just before Galactic Conquest

Edited by HuaRya

I'm not sure they have the functionality to split up which characters would get the benefits and which wouldn't. Also, what if you decide to switch mains? Would there be a way to switch the benefits from one character to another?

I'm not sure they have the functionality to split up which characters would get the benefits and which wouldn't. Also, what if you decide to switch mains? Would there be a way to switch the benefits from one character to another?

I would guess that the subscriber would pick a character to activate, just like a preferred player has to pick their characters, and that would be the character for the duration of the subscription. If they let it lapse, for even a minute, then they could choose a different character for the new sub.

I just don't know.... Are there that many preferred players that would jump on this? Compare that to the number of subscribers that might downgrade.

I would wager that Bioware comes out losing on this, no matter which pricetag they used.

And it only gets worse if the OP's idea of letting a player buy multiple subs on a single account was used at the $4.99 price point.

Edited by Mithros

I would wager that Bioware comes out losing on this, no matter which pricetag they used.

And it only gets worse if the OP's idea of letting a player buy multiple subs on a single account was used at the $4.99 price point.

Ya think? I think if they had more people in game they would be inclined to make other a la cart purchases like buying hypercrates. Currently, the price of one of those is between $50-60. So, if someone where to buy one hypercrate while playing their one toon that would be around $70 going to Bioware that they would've otherwise not have gotten.

Doesn't even have to be a hyper-crate. A direct purchase of a Gold Armor set or platinum weapon is becoming more common place. The cartel producers have a 3+ year backlog of amazing past cartel pack items they could offer as a direct purchase. It's highly likely that the person paying for a light sub could end up playing $30-$100 because they see must have vanity items they simply have to have.

Why? It wouldn't be an item you could resell as it is not a cartel market item. It is sold on the website direct or on Amazon.

Let's say they have a DPS $4.99 and they find they need to use their healer for an operation $4.99. One pack of 2 has just been used up. Oh wait, Friday nights operation needs a tank better go buy another pack for $9.99 cause I know I'll use the other on my main next month. This person currently has 3 toons running on 30 day timers for a grand total of $20. They would've been wiser just to buy the sub but then again their guild really needed a healer/tank.