How to get gear for PVP?

Magnus-EN

I played the game since launch (pre-ordered) and only PvP'd. But then I took a break, and now I am back for the first time in a couple of years. So I just re-subbed for a month to try it and just reached level 70 on my BH.

What I am wondering is how I can get PvP gear (yes, I know, there is no more expertise rating). Can I just PvP and reach PvP gear in a decent timer? Or do I actually need to go out and do PvE grinding from the Galactic Command? I just need more information on this topic. I'd very much avoid doing any sort of PvE stuff in order to get end game gear. If that is at all possible.

Quit your job, get rid of your significant other, forget all your humanity, lock yourself in your room, block out the sun, spend the rest of the year playing pvp. Possibly become a meth addict for good measure and increased performance.:rak_03: Edited by mmmbuddah

Check your currency for "command tokens". You can use those to buy "tier 1" gear directly, which is not great, but you can get your set bonuses that way if you don't already have them. It takes a few-hundred to get everything. I was able to do this when I ding'd 70 after mostly PvP'ing through lows and mids.

After that, it's basically what mmm... said. It's a grind to end all grinds (well "end" until they release the next level). Maybe it's not that bad for those dirty-PvErs who are used to a grind, but for PvP people, who used to be able to get BIS gear immediately, it totally sucks.

To gear just with PvP:

The basics... you get a "crate" every command level. You have a random chance to get a good piece of set gear from the crate. In practice, you will hardly ever get a piece of "gold" set gear, let alone a useful one you don't already have.

You also get "unassembled components" from playing WZ. You get a few from the daily and weeklies, but hardly any compared to just playing the WZs themselves. Once you have enough components you can buy tiers 2, 3, and 4 gear. You need just components to buy tier 2. You need the components plus the previous tier's "gold" piece to buy tier 3 and 4. So you can't just save up and buy level 4 directly. :( Also, because bioware has to over complicate everything, you can't buy gear with components directly... you use the components to buy "kits" basically (I forget what they are actually called) from one vendor and then trade the "kits" plus some Command Tokens to another vendor to actually get the gear.

So what will happen in practice is that you will play a ton of WZs, finally get enough components to buy the next piece of gear. And then the very next crate you get will have that exact same piece of gear in it... :mad:

Check your currency for "command tokens". You can use those to buy "tier 1" gear directly, which is not great, but you can get your set bonuses that way if you don't already have them. It takes a few-hundred to get everything. I was able to do this when I ding'd 70 after mostly PvP'ing through lows and mids.

Huh, well quoting myself here because my bad. I was able to do what I said, get all tier 1 gear at 70. But not because of getting command tokens while leveling. Apparently I just had a bunch of command tokens from some currency-trade from when they were introduced (probably WZ comms -> command tokens, but not sure).

I logged in a lowbie toon I've had sitting on the shelf for a while, and I saw that it already had 1636 Command Tokens (never used her since 5.0 hit). I ran her through enough WZs to finish both the daily and weekly, and I still had 1636 tokens, so I guess we don't get them just for playing WZs in lows at least... probably not mids either then. :(

[Edit: Erg. My total lack of knowledge about this subject has been laid bare in another thread. I didn't quite realize what "legacy bound" meant. I'll just shut up now. :p ]

Edited by Banderal

After that, it's basically what mmm... said. It's a grind to end all grinds (well "end" until they release the next level). Maybe it's not that bad for those dirty-PvErs who are used to a grind, but for PvP people, who used to be able to get BIS gear immediately, it totally sucks.

To gear just with PvP:

The basics... you get a "crate" every command level. You have a random chance to get a good piece of set gear from the crate. In practice, you will hardly ever get a piece of "gold" set gear, let alone a useful one you don't already have.

You also get "unassembled components" from playing WZ. You get a few from the daily and weeklies, but hardly any compared to just playing the WZs themselves. Once you have enough components you can buy tiers 2, 3, and 4 gear. You need just components to buy tier 2. You need the components plus the previous tier's "gold" piece to buy tier 3 and 4. So you can't just save up and buy level 4 directly. :( Also, because bioware has to over complicate everything, you can't buy gear with components directly... you use the components to buy "kits" basically (I forget what they are actually called) from one vendor and then trade the "kits" plus some Command Tokens to another vendor to actually get the gear.

So what will happen in practice is that you will play a ton of WZs, finally get enough components to buy the next piece of gear. And then the very next crate you get will have that exact same piece of gear in it... :mad:

I see! I did play a couple of warzones since turning 70, and I've gotten to command rnak 10. But I guess the command ranks are progressive, so that turning to level 300 from 299 is much slower than from going to level 2.

I see! I did play a couple of warzones since turning 70, and I've gotten to command rnak 10. But I guess the command ranks are progressive, so that turning to level 300 from 299 is much slower than from going to level 2.

Yes, that part I stand by. The slow down is much the same as normal leveling. Think how fast you go from say 1 to 10. Then from 60 to 70. :D