Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Vanguards/Powertech's ion storm and flamethrower

Tomishere

Like this is nothing big or anything, but could we maybe get back the channeling for ion storm and flamethrower? because I liked the channeling animation and it looked really cool and also the new instant ion storm doesn't do as much damage like before the 5.0 patch. I just miss have that longer ability to use and i was able to tank more with the channeling wide spread where I could rotate it before. Like it's not anything important but it would be sooo cool to get just the channeling back, and nothing else if you guys want. Like if you guys can think just about that maybe in future class changes that would be great. Just channeling, that's it! Other than that keep up the great work at Bioware and others! Edited by Tomishere

Like this is nothing big or anything, but could we maybe get back the channeling for ion storm and flamethrower? because I liked the channeling animation and it looked really cool and also the new instant ion storm doesn't do as much damage like before the 5.0 patch. I just miss have that longer ability to use and i was able to tank more with the channeling wide spread where I could rotate it before. Like it's not anything important but it would be sooo cool to get just the channeling back, and nothing else if you guys want. Like if you guys can think just about that maybe in future class changes that would be great. Just channeling, that's it! Other than that keep up the great work at Bioware and others!

Firestorm/Ion Storm as an instant is fine as an instant as it makes it more mobile. Damage wise it can Crit for 20k+ in tank gear in a single GCD which is an improvement. Channel would be a regression for the spec thus no.

Firestorm/Ion Storm as an instant is fine as an instant as it makes it more mobile. Damage wise it can Crit for 20k+ in tank gear in a single GCD which is an improvement. Channel would be a regression for the spec thus no.

Although I understand the devs wanted to simplify the rotation (every skill now takes up a single GCD) and wanted to make melee classes more mobile, it's still questionable whether it was the best possible fix.

Ion Storm // Flamethrower were AoE attacks, not a single target skill like Blade Dance. And that makes them special in my opinion. They should have been treated more like Hail of Bolts, Sweeping Blasters or Sweeping Gunfire. I.e. channeled AoEs that aren't part of a 'normal' rotation but have no cooldown either.

Because in regard of AoEs, a channel duration isn't necessarily a drawback, more a bit convenience. It prevents players from being forced to spam a single button - like you have to with Explosive Surge // Flame Sweep.

If you then keep in mind that PowerTechs aren't true melee classes either, but rather mid-range specs (with the majority of thier attacks hitting at 10~12m range), this alternative version of Ion Storm // Flamethrower might have been more suitable than a 4~5m full circle emanation around the player.

Edited by realleaftea

Although I understand the devs wanted to simplify the rotation (every skill now takes up a single GCD) and wanted to make melee classes more mobile, it's still questionable whether it was the best possible fix.

Ion Storm // Flamethrower were AoE attacks, not a single target skill like Blade Dance. And that makes them special in my opinion. They should have been treated more like Hail of Bolts, Sweeping Blasters or Sweeping Gunfire. I.e. channeled AoEs that aren't part of a 'normal' rotation but have no cooldown either.

Because in regard of AoEs, a channel duration isn't necessarily a drawback, more a bit convenience. It prevents players from being forced to spam a single button - like you have to with Explosive Surge // Flame Sweep.

If you then keep in mind that PowerTechs aren't true melee classes either, but rather mid-range specs (with the majority of thier attacks hitting at 10~12m range), this alternative version of Ion Storm // Flamethrower might have been more suitable than a 4~5m full circle emanation around the player.

I don't see what your point is. Channels can be interrupted, multi GCDs are annoying to use on certain fights (trying to firestorm a hand on the burn of Brontes was impossible to fill Channel). A channel is a drawback and makes it weaker. And for what purpose. As for AoE then Let's make every AOE skill a channel. Crushing Blow for Jugg tanks under Awgis Assault, Heat Blast, Rail Shot as a tank, Discharge for a Sin Tank, Wither. By removing the channel it's now equivalent to Crushing Blow under Aegis assault. Again it's fine as is.

Like this is nothing big or anything, but could we maybe get back the channeling for ion storm and flamethrower? because I liked the channeling animation and it looked really cool and also the new instant ion storm doesn't do as much damage like before the 5.0 patch. I just miss have that longer ability to use and i was able to tank more with the channeling wide spread where I could rotate it before. Like it's not anything important but it would be sooo cool to get just the channeling back, and nothing else if you guys want. Like if you guys can think just about that maybe in future class changes that would be great. Just channeling, that's it! Other than that keep up the great work at Bioware and others!

NO. The channeling sucked. The only things they should do is to fix the damage delay on searing wave compared to ion storm, and increase its damage on pyrotech. The channeling sucked after 2.4 and was never good enough again. With so many mobility improvements u will Not hit a barn because it will roll away. Instantcast on tank hits Like a truck and i would never want it on channel again.

From pvp point of view instant cast is much better and the ability to finish of a Guy with a 30k hits back to back is nothing to sneeze at.

So No! No channeling!

Edited by Nezyrworks

NO. The channeling sucked. The only things they should do is to fix the damage delay on searing wave compared to ion storm, and increase its damage on pyrotech. The channeling sucked after 2.4 and was never good enough again. With so many mobility improvements u will Not hit a barn because it will roll away. Instantcast on tank hits Like a truck and i would never want it on channel again.

From pvp point of view instant cast is much better and the ability to finish of a Guy with a 30k hits back to back is nothing to sneeze at.

So No! No channeling!

IMO, I enjoyed the pre-5.0 channel of Pulse Cannon. I do wish they made it into a movable ability ( kind of like what Artillery Blitz is now ).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.