The natives are getting restless

There is an extreme number of threads devolving into outright personal attacks on here. I was here in December when the poo hit the fan and it wasn't this bad then. I mean outright personal attacks and I'm not proud that I posted in one long gone I'm sure. I'm sorry for my contributions but I'm not alone. It's running rampant.

What's going on? Is it lack of content? The negativity has turned toxic.

I guess my annoyances are no news on future content - only being fed tiny hints on twitter, bugs bugs bugs, server instability, more bugs, no one caring about bugs, windows 10 plus SWTOR incompatibility (much better after working on it for several hours)

So what has you grumpy? Many have been snapping at each other so what's going on?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Win10 threads got me legit scared to reboot my PC... I don't like having to deal with ****, I just want plug 'n' play - t's why I spent $2300 on a PC rather than building one for $1500 or w/e.

Also, I figure we are about due for Keith's "roadmap"...

As I mentioned in my introduction, I’ll be providing a SWTOR 2017 Roadmap in the next few weeks.

---Keith

That was 4/18, two and a half weeks ago. Hopefully we'll see something in this coming week - the week after, at most. And hopefully it'll be something people want to see, so they can chillax a bit...

I had to return to my old window system after I upgraded to windows 10. Half of the programs just stopped working. Unfortunately Netflix stopped with windows 10 and still no longer worked after going back to the older version. Did get the rest back. Really did not care for windows 10 at all.

As for toxic threads. This is common on all forum sites and the longer the site go's the more there is. I don't think most threads are all that toxic though and think negative is a more accurate word. Still some are toxic and with good reason. To me the issue is always when players ask the company to alter other paying customers accounts for personal gain. Sorry but I will get as toxic as I want when others do that. Asking for new Op's or WZ's or whatever is fine and forums are for that. Asking or demanding to change other customers accounts is not. The other thing I really hate is multiple threads on the same issue as though that give it more importance. Of cause all of the actual subjects should be talked about in a thread but does not warrant a new thread every week, or in a lot of cases these days every second day.

As mentioned in post two, the 2017 road map. Well hope there is something for all play styles this year. if nothing else it will gives something to talk about, good or bad remains to be seen. Most likely a little of both.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I had to return to my old window system after I upgraded to windows 10. Half of the programs just stopped working. Unfortunately Netflix stopped with windows 10 and still no longer worked after going back to the older version. Did get the rest back. Really did not care for windows 10 at all.

As for toxic threads. This is common on all forum sites and the longer the site go's the more there is. I don't think most threads are all that toxic though and think negative is a more accurate word. Still some are toxic and with good reason. To me the issue is always when players ask the company to alter other paying customers accounts for personal gain. Sorry but I will get as toxic as I want when others do that. Asking for new Op's or WZ's or whatever is fine and forums are for that. Asking or demanding to change other customers accounts is not. The other thing I really hate is multiple threads on the same issue as though that give it more importance. Of cause all of the actual subjects should be talked about in a thread but does not warrant a new thread every week, or in a lot of cases these days every second day.

As mentioned in post two, the 2017 road map. Well hope there is something for all play styles this year. if nothing else it will gives something to talk about, good or bad remains to be seen. Most likely a little of both.

Customers have the right to give feedback asking for changes to the game you don't like. You also have the right to give feedback on those requests saying you personally don't want those changes. That doesn't give you leave to personally attack and harass people suggesting/requesting changes you don't like, however, since that's against the forum rules. It doesn't matter the reason you use to justify being toxic... you're still being toxic and should face consequences accordingly.

Edited by AscendingSky

There is an extreme number of threads devolving into outright personal attacks on here. I was here in December when the poo hit the fan and it wasn't this bad then. I mean outright personal attacks and I'm not proud that I posted in one long gone I'm sure. I'm sorry for my contributions but I'm not alone. It's running rampant.

I guess my annoyances are no news on future content - only being fed tiny hints on twitter, bugs bugs bugs, server instability, more bugs, no one caring about bugs, windows 10 plus SWTOR incompatibility (much better after working on it for several hours)

So what has you grumpy? Many have been snapping at each other so what's going on?

What incompatibility with windows 10? i play swtor just fine on windows 10 (1703) build

What incompatibility with windows 10? i play swtor just fine on windows 10 (1703) build

I believe it's the new Windows 10 Creator Edition that became available that has been causing issues. I personally wait a year after something is released to upgrade but that's just me. I waited till nearly the end of the free Windows 10 update before I switched from 7 to 10.

The Win10 threads got me legit scared to reboot my PC... I don't like having to deal with ****, I just want plug 'n' play - t's why I spent $2300 on a PC rather than building one for $1500 or w/e.

Also, I figure we are about due for Keith's "roadmap"...

That was 4/18, two and a half weeks ago. Hopefully we'll see something in this coming week - the week after, at most. And hopefully it'll be something people want to see, so they can chillax a bit...

Yea his "road map" took them over a cliff and their were no survivors.

I'd have to second that. After I switched from my HP to my husband's ASUS with the Nvidia GeForce 940MX, everything's been running smooth. What's been going on with everyone else?

Customers have the right to give feedback asking for changes to the game you don't like. You also have the right to give feedback on those requests saying you personally don't want those changes. That doesn't give you leave to personally attack and harass people suggesting/requesting changes you don't like, however, since that's against the forum rules. It doesn't matter the reason you use to justify being toxic... you're still being toxic and should face consequences accordingly.

What I think he meant is threads like people demanding a character purge to free up name options simply so they don't have to be forced to use their imagination and think of something else instead. Just because someone beat these people to a name they wanted but haven't played said character in who knows how long doesn't give them a right to demand BW to purge dormant toons, and deserve to be called out on their selfishness.

At least that's the vibe I got from it.

What I think he meant is threads like people demanding a character purge to free up name options simply so they don't have to be forced to use their imagination and think of something else instead. Just because someone beat these people to a name they wanted but haven't played said character in who knows how long doesn't give them a right to demand BW to purge dormant toons, and deserve to be called out on their selfishness.

At least that's the vibe I got from it.

As I recall, the thread he was committing a lot of personal attacks in was one of the "please merge dead servers" threads. Apparently he found the idea of giving people a decent population to play offensive, because he likes a quiet server, and so he accused people of trying to alter/damage his account by asking for server merges. He got pretty nasty.

Edited by AscendingSky

Actually the toxic is new. Yes we had our arguments in Dec. But this level I haven't seen from icykill's to downright name calling on another thread today. It's everywhere and it honestly wasn't this bad before. I'm not saying I'm innocent because I'm not. This isn't an attack on others doing it. I honestly think it can be a sign that many of us are frustrated.

This topic is blowing comments made out of proportion along with some attention seeking thrown in.

We have a new operation slowly rolled out through the course of the year, a new flashpoint based on Umbara last featured in the awesome Clone Wars series, and hints of a new stronghold.

The biggest problem we face now is Command Crates. When CXP and Command Crates are eliminated then lets have goes at each other.

Edited by jimmorrisson

This topic is blowing comments made out of proportion along with some attention seeking thrown in.

We have a new operation slowly rolled out through the course of the year along with a new flashpoint based on Umbara last featured in the awesome Clone Wars series with hints of a new stronghold.

The biggest problem we face now is Command Crates. When CXP and Command Crates are eliminated then lets have goes at each other.

Meh I don't need attention seeking. I do this kind of thing now at home when fam suddenly starts going aggro over stupid things. I sit down and consider why, helps to improve the situation. Of course at home it's not are command cxp aggravating you, it's are you hangry? And I go from there. :p I guess I find psychology interesting.

Back on topic: I've noticed I've stopped playing my 70's and gone back to vanilla leveling. As they near 70, I abandon and move onwards to another new toon (different classes) I've been unconsciously avoiding command crap. The thought of grinding more crap puts me in a bad mood. I did not mind a little grind but now it's like paddling a canoe upstream. Take a break, fall behind, so you're forced to keep going and going but it's so dang slow.

Meh I don't need attention seeking. I do this kind of thing now at home when fam suddenly starts going aggro over stupid things. I sit down and consider why, helps to improve the situation. Of course at home it's not are command cxp aggravating you, it's are you hangry? And I go from there. :p I guess I find psychology interesting.

Back on topic: I've noticed I've stopped playing my 70's and gone back to vanilla leveling. As they near 70, I abandon and move onwards to another new toon (different classes) I've been unconsciously avoiding command crap. The thought of grinding more crap puts me in a bad mood. I did not mind a little grind but now it's like paddling a canoe upstream. Take a break, fall behind, so you're forced to keep going and going but it's so dang slow.

I've been considering levelling a few more alts myself, just to do some stories again and get away from the dull as dirt grind. Even the weakest of the class stories tend to be more fun and better written (in my opinion) than the last two "expansions".

Edited by AscendingSky

I've been considering levelling a few more alts myself, just to do some stories again and get away from the dull as dirt grind. Even the weakest of the class stories tend to be more fun and better written (in my opinion) than the last two "expansions".

I'm doing the same.

The XP boost helps as well of course, but I really only play my level 70 toons when they are needed by my guild - when playing purely for fun I avoid the Command Crate stuff like the plague.

All The Best

I'm leveling toons to 70 through PvP, FPs and dailies before I start their story, so that I get the group activities in before gear really matters. I can then go back into the good stories and can enjoy getting CXP. The DvL event helped, as I had 8 toons at level 50 already!

My approach to CXP is simple - I am doing stuff that doesn't need it until they fix it...I would go crazy if I was on the CXP treadmill for gear. I am just playing my alts like usual, and none are above Command level 15 yet. Will this suit everyone? Definitely not. Should I have to ignore a broken system instead of enjoying a well designed one? Definitely not...but I have found a way to play post 5.0 that suits me.

I did 5. It was a nice break. They are all 70 now though :)

I think the frustration is surrounding a simple concept... People that are still playing this game but are "angry" do so because of:

A) Deep love for Star Wars and no other outlet...

B) Unfortunately misplaced hope.

As time goes on and it starts to set in that SWToR is not likely to get better not because the developers are incapable but because they don't feel the need to improve the game... The more toxic people will become.

The current approach to this game is to focus on manipulating the money model first and foremost. When people endanger current revenue levels by leaving in significant quantities they install minimal changes to rope those players back in... Then proceed with monetization refinement once again.

People say..yeah its a business!

Well here is the thing. They are able to utilize this tactic because people are already invested in this game. Next time I see an EAware game you can bet I will not only not purchase it but tell my gaming crew to avoid it as well and list this game is the primary reason.

That is what they are failing to see... Their practices here will affect their future titles. I won't even purchase a Sony TV after SWG and to this day.

So are people getting more toxic? Probably because they are starting to lose hope that this game will improve.

Edited by Soljin

So are people getting more toxic? Probably because they are starting to lose hope that this game will improve.

My hope that this game could improve was rekindled the moment I read that Ben Irving was no longer Lead Producer.

In fact when 5.0 went live, and amid the furore of Command Crate RNG, when Mr Irving basically said in that, now infamous Livestream, "we think RNG is exciting so screw you, put up with it" (which is in essence what he said) I not only unsubbed, I uninstalled. I know I wasn't the only one to do so. in fact the livestream chat was full of people saying they were doing the same.

I friend, who still occasionally plays a bit of SWTOR, sent me an e-mail a week or so ago, with a link to this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=918907

and I immediately downloaded the game and subbed for 60 days. Keith's willingness to be open with the playerbase and admit that the May 2nd Maintenance was just not good enough, rather than remaining silent and hoping our concerns would just vanish went part way to vindicating my decision to return to SWTOR.

To my mind the single biggest factor in SWTOR not improving has now gone.

All The Best

The biggest problem we face now is Command Crates.

Sorry but I think the biggest problem is is the lack of customer service and communication.

On the paying customer side, I think it's the players thinking that they're actually paying attention to us.

It's pretty sad one has to take them to arbitration 3 times just to get a simple email problem on their end looked at.

Edited by dr_mike

Occasionally I will have moments where I just get super frustrated at the missed opportunity this game represents. Like today I was sitting in stronghold in the GSF queue and it hit me that my character owns a freaking starship, but hanging out in an apartment in Kaas City was a much better experience.

The Old Republic era is my favorite part of Star Wars. The 1-50 game is STILL amazing. It just sickens me that BW is basically cannibalizing their own creation's endgame here to be basically an infomercial for the CM store, stringing us along with 1999-era MMO grind.

So yeah, I get snarky sometimes.

Occasionally I will have moments where I just get super frustrated at the missed opportunity this game represents. Like today I was sitting in stronghold in the GSF queue and it hit me that my character owns a freaking starship, but hanging out in an apartment in Kaas City was a much better experience.

The Old Republic era is my favorite part of Star Wars. The 1-50 game is STILL amazing. It just sickens me that BW is basically cannibalizing their own creation's endgame here to be basically an infomercial for the CM store, stringing us along with 1999-era MMO grind.

So yeah, I get snarky sometimes.

Bioware has basically embraced the idea that their player base are marks to be exploited... If that is not the case then they would not be following their current course...plain and simple.

Is that good business? Debatable. It may be productive in the short term but in the long term it's called "bridge burning" and is usually discouraged in almost every scenario.

You said most of it there yourself.

The state of a game's community generally reflects how the game and players are being treated by the developers. Most of us are very passionate about the game and/or Star Wars in general and want the game to succeed. We've spent a lot of money to support this game, and most of us actively tried to make suggestions towards the devs on how they can improve the game.

And yet, despite a very passionate community who have been more than willing to support and improve the game with both word of mouth and our wallets, we're met with: an endless stream of bugs (some of which haven't been fixed in years), constant server crashes and/or lag problems, a focus on cash shop updates and very lacklaster actual content updates, lack of communication from the dev team, bad idea after bad idea that pisses off 99% of the playerbase, fun aspects of the game that have been completely forgotten and left to die, etc. I could go on, but the longer I type, the more I want to go and cancel my sub right away.

With all that said, it's no wonder the community here is so toxic. If anyone feels like getting even more depressed over this game, go check out the forum and reddit pages of games like ESO, WoW, and GW2. Those devs actively try to communicate and make the game better for their players, and as a result those communities are flourishing. Yes, there will always be a certain amount of toxicity on game forums...but this game has it worse than any other game I've played, and it's because to BW/EA we're nothing but dollar signs.