F2P players unable to use Chat

Nightblazer

I am pissed as hell about this. I just had a group of friends who agreed to try out the game with me. I'm subbed. Two of the players are brand new to the game. One tried it before briefly as FTP. The other I haven't heard from yet but they come in and they can't even chat with me unless I whisper to them first.. and as soon I group them, they can't even talk at all, not even in whispers. They feel that a game that is so restrictive for a free to play player, especially when they are referred by a player who goes back to 2011, can't even talk in group with their friends is not even worth trying out. I have to wonder if its even worth me staying as well.

PS: Nor can they talk in my guild

I was involved in this particular situation. Two prospective players, possibly three or four, have been lost to the game. Restrictions on F2P players have to be reexamined... the point of F2P is to give new players a taste of the game... a GOOD taste... so that maybe they'll sub.

Instead, many walk away with a bad taste in their mouth.

Fade to Black...

Edited by CWBuff

Two words for you - third party software. Then you get the added bonus of being able to talk to your friends even when they aren't playing the same game as you, and we don't get gold sellers on f2p accounts spamming the chat and making it unusable.

(Or maybe they're not really your friends)

Edited by CrazyCT

Two words for you - third party software. Then you get the added bonus of being able to talk to your friends even when they aren't playing the same game as you, and we don't get gold sellers on f2p accounts spamming the chat and making it unusable.

(Or maybe they're not really your friends)

Meh, third party software is nice and all, but often times it's just not nearly as convenient as ingame chat. I know that if restrictions were this bad when my brother convinced me to play the game with him (and I'm pretty certain he really is my brother), I would have stopped bothering within the first hour, instead of subbing a few months later and staying subbed for just about five years now (when my brother quit a long time ago), even though we already did use a variety of different programs to stay in contact before playing this together.

There are ways around this mess if you are determined enough, but new players should not have to 'find a way' to make playing with the people that introduced them to the game work.

It has no direct effect on me anymore, but I can only imagine how many people are put off by this and just leave immediately. The first moments should be the ones that hook someone.

edit: And sure, have some restrictions on general chat, whispers, but how is blocking F2P from using group and guild chat going to help against credit spammers? Doing this was an absolutely horrible call.

Edited by cyrusramsey

I do see your point, but just as equally bad, would be the number of people who start playing the game, and are instantly put off because they can't even get to join a guild due to the gold seller spam in the chat. Not to mention the established players and guilds who rely on PUGs, will have to rely on the ever popular Group Finder, cause they won't be able to advertise for an OPs run.

And while I agree that their could be a better option for helping new players more with chat, the current system obviously doesn't require any dev time to keep it as it is.

I do see your point, but just as equally bad, would be the number of people who start playing the game, and are instantly put off because they can't even get to join a guild due to the gold seller spam in the chat. Not to mention the established players and guilds who rely on PUGs, will have to rely on the ever popular Group Finder, cause they won't be able to advertise for an OPs run.

And while I agree that their could be a better option for helping new players more with chat, the current system obviously doesn't require any dev time to keep it as it is.

(I realize I made my edit in previous post at about the same time as you replied)

How many credit spammers are you going to be in group and guild chat with? I don't think that was ever a thing.

There were restrictions to chat when I started playing, too, and I found them annoying, but it was nothing that got in my way. There's just no way to justify blocking group and guild chat completely. It's insane.

Edited by cyrusramsey