8v8 Competition Series

Lavaar

As some of you may already know, the shadowlands reconaissance wing guild as well as the self-inflicted guild have been hosting one another in order to arrange competitive 8v8 matchups, in order to hone our team play, as well as have some competitive fun without victimizing the folks in the rest of the "normal" que. Recently, players from the red eclipse have also expressed interest in joining the fray as an 8-man squadron, and will hopefully be playing some matches against both SRW and perhaps SiN as well at some point. Because of the interest I have observed among others in the community that are not currently on any of these teams, I would like to extend an open invitation to anyone and everyone who is ready and willing to create another 8-man team for events such as these, as it is truly a remarkable experience to fly with a team of players you know and trust against worthwhile opponents doing the same thing.

These matchups require a new degree of understanding of the game in order to be successful; simply grabbing every damage overcharge available to carry, solo capping, 1v1's or focusing down threatening players are no longer valid tactics, and instead teamwork, communication, co-ordination and foresight are what makes the difference in games like these.

If there are players out there that feel they would be interested in this kind of play, I encourage you to seek each other out! I know there are a lot of us active in the community who would do very well participating in events like these, and our games with Prog, TRE, as well as SiN have already shown us that it can work!

If you have any questions about how these events work, feel free to ask on http://www.gsfsrw.com, or send me a message in-game.

Perhaps this can be the start of a GSF league!

The SRW vs SIN series has been a lot of fun. For those of us involved, it breathes new life into the game at a time when things have otherwise become a little stale. It's truly a different flavor of GSF: forget about bomber spam, or intentional suiciders, or flagrant noob-stomping. This is high-level tactical gameplay, requiring serious thought and planning. Not easy, but (imo) fascinating and absorbing stuff. It would be great to see some new teams step up to the plate. Maybe we can arrange a round-robin championship series or something along those lines.

In addition to the SRW website (http://www.gsfsrw.com, as Vexx mentioned above), let me call attention to another community resource: the GSF Discord (https://discord.gg/2gxt5c9). It has by and large supplanted this forum as a gathering place for GSF discussion. There are channels for each server, plus build and help channels as well. I probably spend a little too much time on it myself. Discord would be a great tool to reach out to fellow pilots and explore 8v8 matchups further.

And, like Vexx, feel free to reach out to me directly (here, in game, or on Discord) with any questions/comments.