Bored

Diantane

Completed the quest line in the starter area and level at 27. Then went to Coruscant and instead of fighting 8's, I'm fighting 10's. There's no challenge in this at all. Is it possible to skip maps like other mmo's?

If you want to get the complete story stuff, for achievement, various bonuses, and getting companion reasons, then no, you can't really skip planets. You can, however, just do the character story stuff (and maybe some H2s for gear reasons). That means you can skip the planet stories (the orange triangles on the planet) and any side quests (the non-orange triangles). On Quesh, you will have to talk to one orange triangle guy in the space station to get the medical clearance to on planet, but you can refuse the quest at the end of the conversation and still be good to go. However, with the current event xp bonus, you'll outlevel stuff anyway, even just doing the story, which means the planetary level-cap will kick in.

But speaking of that event xp bonus, you can disable that. Some item you can buy turns it off. Not sure where exactly you can buy it, but someone will no doubt be along to point it out shortly. Doing that and only doing the character story missions should, I believe, mean that you won't outlevel everything as badly as you do now (once you wear away that massive head start) and might eventually want to do a planetary story arc or two.

For the most part, though, I'd say you won't find too much challenge while leveling. So just focus on the class story and chew through it. If you do want a challenge from time to time, hit the fleet and find the "weekly missions" terminal, then pick out a couple of H2s that are orange (or yellow ones from the same planet that has oranges). That should give you the occasional bit of challenge until you get to the KotFE part of the game, at which point you'll be able to select a higher difficulty for the story.

Edited by Battilea

It varies with each class, though everyone gets one on their starting planet, and the droid with the ship. But after that, it varies. One class might get someone on Alderaan, but not on Hoth, and another vice-versa. You will wind up with five plus the droid before you reach the end of the class storyline, though (that being the end of chapter 3). Not counting any extra ones like the ones from the Cartel or the HK droid from the quest line, of course.

I'd recommend making sure they are all at at least level rep level 10, with all their conversations done, before starting on the KotFE stuff.

I was looking forward to being on my spaceship. The trip between the starter planet and Coruscant lasted every bit of four seconds. I had expected a lot more than that (like there is in the movies).

"space travel" is not very inspired. When you choose a destination you can look out the viewscreen and see entering hyperspace, then about two seconds later you come out of hyperspace and you see the planet you are heading to. When you "exit your ship" (click on the exit hatch/door) you will get a scene where you see your ship heading to the planet to land.

When you leave a planet or space station using your ship, you do get a cutscene where you see your ship taking off. Honestly though, after a handful of times watching it, you stop watching it.

fact is most people I know use quick travel as much as possible - having to use one's ship to travel is an annoyance :p

There are two forms of space combat:

an "on rails" simulator PvE using your character class's ship

off rails space combat PvP known as Galactic Starfighter (GSF) where you can choose from different ships and configurations.

Getting to your OP - about how you are so overleveled...solo content in this game is easy because the developers decided that being able to progress through the story was more important than game play challenges during play of that story. Even when the game launched five years ago, the story content was not terribly challenging unless you were undergeared AND underleveled.

In short, if you are looking for challenging game play and mechanics you will not find it in the story content.

I was looking forward to being on my spaceship. The trip between the starter planet and Coruscant lasted every bit of four seconds. I had expected a lot more than that (like there is in the movies).

Instead of taking the direct shuttle, take the mission that's offered there. The story mode is "solo" (you do get a super-bot to trivialize, I mean, help you with it, though it can also be played in a group mode. There are two versions of it, one Imp, one Pub, but it is essentially the same sort of story. That will give you a bit longer story to get between the first planet and the capital, plus a free speeder for completing it.

Also worth noting that that isn't your ship yet. You'll get that at the end of Coruscant (or Dromund Kaas, if Imp). Flight still won't take much time, as mentioned in the post above, but it is a "safe" spot, so you'll probably have most of your companion progress conversations there, and there are a decent number of holocalls when starting or completing a planet for your character's storyline. Also, if you play a smuggler, you've got an NPC hanging out on your ship during chapter 1, and visit her from time to time mid-planet.

Edited by Battilea

If you want to get the complete story stuff, for achievement, various bonuses, and getting companion reasons, then no, you can't really skip planets. You can, however, just do the character story stuff (and maybe some H2s for gear reasons). That means you can skip the planet stories (the orange triangles on the planet) and any side quests (the non-orange triangles). On Quesh, you will have to talk to one orange triangle guy in the space station to get the medical clearance to on planet, but you can refuse the quest at the end of the conversation and still be good to go. However, with the current event xp bonus, you'll outlevel stuff anyway, even just doing the story, which means the planetary level-cap will kick in.

But speaking of that event xp bonus, you can disable that. Some item you can buy turns it off. Not sure where exactly you can buy it, but someone will no doubt be along to point it out shortly. Doing that and only doing the character story missions should, I believe, mean that you won't outlevel everything as badly as you do now (once you wear away that massive head start) and might eventually want to do a planetary story arc or two.

For the most part, though, I'd say you won't find too much challenge while leveling. So just focus on the class story and chew through it. If you do want a challenge from time to time, hit the fleet and find the "weekly missions" terminal, then pick out a couple of H2s that are orange (or yellow ones from the same planet that has oranges). That should give you the occasional bit of challenge until you get to the KotFE part of the game, at which point you'll be able to select a higher difficulty for the story.

The thing that turns off the experience boost is on the fleet. I can't remember which section but the vender has a weird name and is a monster looking alien. He only sells the one item to turn it off and it is free

The thing that turns off the experience boost is on the fleet. I can't remember which section but the vender has a weird name and is a monster looking alien. He only sells the one item to turn it off and it is free

Edit: The vendor is by the class trainers and the vender is Gree.

You remember in Star Wars IV (first movie) where the Millennium Falcon is running from the Imperial army and are actually doing repairs on their ship in the heat of battle (right before an asteroid hits them)? Even R2D2 made repairs enroute on the X-Wing. You could land on a planet and set up a base camp. Along with dogfighting and exploration. That's the kind of ship I'd like to see. Edited by Diantane

You remember in Star Wars IV (first movie) where the Millennium Falcon is running from the Imperial army and are actually doing repairs on their ship in the heat of battle (right before an asteroid hits them)? Even R2D2 made repairs enroute on the X-Wing. You could land on a planet and set up a base camp. Along with dogfighting and exploration. That's the kind of ship I'd like to see.

Space is *large* and *empty*. I mean, emptier than that, in fact, and much larger. A real-life rocket launched from the ground takes ten minutes or more to reach orbit. To reach the kind of heights that you see when you arrive at a planet (order of 6000-7000 miles, I'd guess, maybe a bit more) takes a chunk longer. Do you really want that?

Oh, and the thing with the asteroid hitting the TIE fighters was ESB, episode V.

You remember in Star Wars IV (first movie) where the Millennium Falcon is running from the Imperial army and are actually doing repairs on their ship in the heat of battle (right before an asteroid hits them)? Even R2D2 made repairs enroute on the X-Wing. You could land on a planet and set up a base camp. Along with dogfighting and exploration. That's the kind of ship I'd like to see.

Some people do not like space combat, so once upon a time the devs decided that they would not force anyone to participate in that part of the game, and that was that.

All sorts of suggestions back during beta to add missions that included space combat as part of them.

I think the problem is that space combat is strictly a single-player experience.

They make space combat part of a mission then what happens to teams? Everyone has to get through the space combat phase in order to advance the mission? Some/all of the team can jump on one player's ship and that player then does the space combat part of the mission while everyone else goes to sleep?

As far as those "social moments" that occurred on ships in the movies, you can still have those.

There are some story cutscenes that have to happen on your ship.

There are companion conversations that have to happen on your ship, and your ship works as well as a cantina for any other conversations your companions may be ready to have.

And, of course, you can always invite some other players on to your ship and you can visit theirs.

Stay on the ship and just RP or talk, or ferry a team from planet to planet while doing missions (like, say, a group gathering for weekly heroics).

Your ship this time, next time another ship, and so on, so you all "split" the travel cost over time.

And, as an aside, there is no need to "set up camp" when you are using your personal ship to travel.

Yeah, sure, when Luke landed on Dagobah he and R2-D2 were setting up a camp, but that was because they traveled in an X-Wing.

Your personal ship is no X-Wing. It's a house you can take from planet to planet.

Beds, chairs, at least some measure of privacy if you want it... Why "rough it" when you have as much if not more comfort, and certainly more security and functionality, on your ship?

Edited by Mithros

Your personal ship is no X-Wing. It's a house you can take from planet to planet.

Beds, chairs, at least some measure of privacy if you want it... Why "rough it" when you have as much if not more comfort, and certainly more security and functionality, on your ship?

Yeah, we essentially all fly some version of the Falcon, Slave 1, or Eagle 5 (the Winnebago from Space Balls). And a couple of classes (BH, Smuggler) are very much intended to give the same sort of feel as what their movie equivalents fly. And others also do a decent job of fitting their class. The agent's is more sleek, giving it a slight stealthy feel, while also being reminiscent of the various Ties. The Trooper has a bit of a barracks feel to it, inside, and so on.

I do wish the story included some space missions, at the very least for the Smuggler. Could easily have been a side mission to the story, like the deliveries for the Voss or the dropping off of the genetic material for the near extinct animal that the Smuggler has. That way, the missions could exist, but not hold up the story. But on the whole, space combat at release was a bit of an afterthought, and it kind of makes sense that way. To have well developed space combat would have meant the dev team was essentially developing two games, rather than one. And while it certainly is possible (STO had both right from the start), things would suffer (STO's groundside was never that popular).

Edited by Battilea

And, as an aside, there is no need to "set up camp" when you are using your personal ship to travel.

Yeah, sure, when Luke landed on Dagobah he and R2-D2 were setting up a camp, but that was because they traveled in an X-Wing.

Yeah, Luke went to Dagobah in a single-seat fighter that's actually *smaller* than modern single-seat fighters in the real world. Our player ships are bigger than a 747. No need to set up camp, really.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.