help please :)

monkeydud

Help with upgrading my system.

Any tech heads out there? I would appreciate some thoughts on my planned upgrade.

At the moment I have a Packard Bell Istart with an AMD Athlon 64x2 4000+ with 3 GB Ram and an Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB. I can just about get away with running the game in 800x600 on low. I want to upgrade my PC and got quite a bit of money for Xmas.

I`m planning on getting an AMD Athlon II x4 645 Processor 3.1 GHZ (2MB Cahce) or an AMD Phenom x6 1055T 2.8 GHZ (6 GB cache) depending on which (if any) will fit on my motherboard.

I`ve done a bit of research on Graphics Card and the Nvidia Geforce GT520 1GB scores quite well on reviews and there are 2 models one by PNY (which is the make of my current card) and one by EVGA with a £10 price difference. Including fitting at PC world this is just under my budget of £180.

The main reason for upgrading is the somewhat limited graphics along with the lovely disclaimer on the back of the box that `you may have to upgrade your system/replace your system in due course.`

Any thoughts would be appreciated as all these different clock speeds/bus widths/cachesizes gets a bit confusing at times. I mean i assume the phenom is faster than the athlon just because it has more cores even though the clock speed is a bit slower.

cheers :)

Edited by monkeydud

Honestly I would not spend the money on the Processor. You would be better off upgrading your ram to something like 8gb and get the 1gb video card. I am assuming your motherboard is set up for PCI Express? Edited by Pyretta

Honestly I would not spend the money on the Processor. You would be better off upgrading your ram to something like 8gb and get the 1gb video card. I am assuming your motherboard is set up for PCI Express?

I agree if you can upgrade the video card to at least 1gb you should be fine.