Lag?

WalkerTheAmazing

You'll want to be a bit more specific as to the nature of the problem.

Bitraider is part of the launcher/patcher. So if the game is crashing on you, it's probably not Bitraider's fault. What it tends to do is hang during the patching process. Still a good idea to get rid of it, though. Title says lag, but it sounds like that isn't the issue. Lag is a delay in responsiveness, typically due to things like internet latency or something gobbling up your CPU's cycles (like loading assets), thereby causing the game to have to wait to do other updates. So if the game is locking/freezing up while you're playing, then that's another matter.

Anyway, for me, the game will crash from time to time, but usually crashes cleanly (no lockup). The exception to that is that it will sometimes hang on a black screen when I try to quit the game while running in fullscreen mode. Windows is still running fine behind it all, just can't see anything. But I get around that issue by playing in windowed mode. Game can still hang on exit, but at least then I can still switch tabs, and thereby see the taskmanager window to fully shut down the game ;)

You'll want to be a bit more specific as to the nature of the problem.

Bitraider is part of the launcher/patcher. So if the game is crashing on you, it's probably not Bitraider's fault. What it tends to do is hang during the patching process. Still a good idea to get rid of it, though. Title says lag, but it sounds like that isn't the issue. Lag is a delay in responsiveness, typically due to things like internet latency or something gobbling up your CPU's cycles (like loading assets), thereby causing the game to have to wait to do other updates. So if the game is locking/freezing up while you're playing, then that's another matter.

Anyway, for me, the game will crash from time to time, but usually crashes cleanly (no lockup). The exception to that is that it will sometimes hang on a black screen when I try to quit the game while running in fullscreen mode. Windows is still running fine behind it all, just can't see anything. But I get around that issue by playing in windowed mode. Game can still hang on exit, but at least then I can still switch tabs, and thereby see the taskmanager window to fully shut down the game ;)

I'm unable to close out of my game, and thus, I have to restart my computer. I usually freeze while fighting an enemy, while running, in settings, character selection, or character editor. What will usually happen is I click some button and my game freezes up. I do like the idea of making my screen a tab, but it makes me uncomfortable during gameplay. I've also experienced my game freezing and locking up my desktop in very low graphics mode. If there is any way to stop this from happening, someone please tell me.

"The best way to win is by not fighting."

Sounds like you crash a lot more frequently than me. For me, I think it is loading assets related, as the most typical time I'll crash is at the start of a conversation or during a quick travel to a new zone.

Not sure how to stop the crashes from happening, or how to reduce their frequency (beyond turning down/off various graphical options), but you could try "full screen (windowed)" instead of "full screen". If you have the task manager up (shortcut = control+shift+escape), that might allow you to alt-tab to it so you can kill the game from there, and thereby alleviate the need to restart the computer. Worth a shot at least, if you don't like playing in straight up windowed mode.

Edited by Battilea

You gave no indication of what sort of computer you use (desktop, laptop) or what sort of hardware is in it (CPU, GPU, etc).

My initial guess, would be that your system may be overheating, or is in some other way incompatible with SWTOR. You could be trying to run it on an iPad under an Windows emulator for all we know.

So, the first thing to do is to clean the dust out of your computer and see that all fans are running properly.

Edited by JediQuaker

You gave no indication of what sort of computer you use (desktop, laptop) or what sort of hardware is in it (CPU, GPU, etc).

My initial guess, would be that your system may be overheating, or is in some other way incompatible with SWTOR. You could be trying to run it on an iPad under an Windows emulator for all we know.

He mentions it is a desktop, actually.

I doubt it is an overheating issue, based on my own experiences. Most likely, just an issue related to hardware compatibility, though this game has always had some memory management issues.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.