The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

5 years later - Flying mounts and faster speeders

Forren-Midosea

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At start of the game there was a lot of people that didnt wanted a flying mounts, because it would kill the immersion, well now when you simply explored all planets and know where all stuff is, done pretty much every single thing, maybe its time to let go of "no to flying mounts" and finally get this thing in game? And, maybe its also time to upgrade the speeders for bit faster stuff? we are, afterall, 20 lvls after original 50 lvl cap.

no..... just.... no.

Almost but seeing as they were right, it's not nearly as funny.

Except you're proving the point of "amateur devs" by making a false equivalency, that tweaking an *existing* function (slightly increasing mount speed) is somehow comparable to adding the ability to freely travel the game's worlds in the third axis, for which they were never designed for.

Edited by HeatRacer

Given the ease of using quick travel points, faster speeders aren't much of a necessity.

I would prefer getting rid of the quick travel and having flying mounts on several planets, i understand on Corellia, Nar Shadda, Dromund Kaas and Coruscant would be pretty strange, but on other planets i would definetlly prefer flying to objectives with a small shuttle or something instead of just teleporting.

Couple of highlights:

As mentioned by others flying speeder would break the level design on most areas so it would be limited to new instances/zones.

Faster speeders would have require the server and client load/refresh data faster in a way increasing draw distance. Issue being adding more stress on the DB, network throughput and client handling of the data, meshes, polys, shadows, lighting and such.

Then it would drastically increase the disconnect between separate client refresh while wandering around. Set up 2 computer one next to the other and check character respective position on both computers while playing in the same area. You'll notice what one sees isn't exactly what the other sees. The difference would become of a bigger issue.

All in all it requires quite some coding and improvements both on the client engine, server, and network.

I would prefer getting rid of the quick travel and having flying mounts on several planets, i understand on Corellia, Nar Shadda, Dromund Kaas and Coruscant would be pretty strange, but on other planets i would definetlly prefer flying to objectives with a small shuttle or something instead of just teleporting.

Huge effort to rework the planets to make them ready for actual 3D flight based travel.

Back in the day.. when WoW introduced flying mounts and allowed them to be flown in the old vanilla zones... they spent more then a year reworking all the graphics in the old zones to make them actually complete in appearance for flying. That was a large investment in resources.

Not going to happen here.

Edited by Andryah

BIG NO

The maps are too small, the development cost too high, development team too small.

This is a team that can only do one new boss per content patch. Flying mounts are outside their scope and based on the results we have seen lately, their skills are well.

If they could it would be nice but to me there are so many other thing they certainly can do and should first.

I've been coding on and off since about when you started but I simply can't speak intelligently on how hard or simple it would be to do because I was never a game developer nor do I have detailed knowledge of this game's engine. What I do know is they can rebalance the classes, they can continue building the op, they can fix some of the graphic issues, they can return the companions .... basically I know they can do a lot of things that will require time to do and I would rather they spend time on these things than on adding a feature I am not entirely sure they can add.

Huge effort to rework the planets to make them ready for actual 3D flight based travel.

Back in the day.. when WoW introduced flying mounts and allowed them to be flown in the old vanilla zones... they spent more then a year reworking all the graphics in the old zones to make them actually complete in appearance for flying. That was a large investment in resources.

Not going to happen here.

That was the Cataclysm expansion. We never actually flew in the old world. They destroyed it and we were able to fly in that new one. So basically they redid the entire base game areas. That's why even new characters only had the post -Cataclysm world from that point on. I always wanted to fly in the old world. Wasn't as nice flying in this wrecked on since I had no memories of being on the ground then. I just don't see the benefit of doing this in SWTOR. Just like in WoW, it probably wouldn't live up to expectations. Personally, I'd rather have the Corellian type transfers on all the worlds. But even that probably would just be a waste of resources. WoW had millions to throw at their redesign due to the millions who were playing at the time. With a mandatory sub fee.

I see that you guys dont want to improve this game at all. All you want is an easy gear (seeing the majority of fuss about cxp)

I'm not seeing how a flying mount, or faster speeders will improve the game? I can already instantly reuse my Quick Travel, so if I go to the wrong place, I can just hit it again. Even if you got Speeder V, I bet I could QT from base to each and every QT point on Hoth before you could drive to the second one from the main base, pick your faction, barring some lag.

What is it that a flying mount is going to add?