The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Q3 Electronic Arts financial reports are not out.

MeNaCe-NZ

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He might be thinking about the 10-K? Not sure though.

Sorry no 10-Q, I see where I went wrong ( I don't live in US so was working it out off the EA investor site ).

I took the timing of the 10-Q after the period end, not the timing of the 10-Q after the investor call which is indeed less than 2 weeks it seems.

I think you are crossing up a couple different time periods and a couple different revenue classifications.

The 1% decrease was stated on the Q2 FY17 10-Q report. Net revenue for "Subscriptions, advertising and other" for that same Q2 FY17 period was $83 million and for Q2 FY16 it was $84 million.

No that's pretty much what I thought - I just thought "wow surely it couldn't have jumped that much in one quarter" but clearly it has.

It jumped what ... 21 million this year, 7 million the year before and 9 million the year before that. Quite the leap and it would be interesting to know what contributed the most.

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

Nothing explicit, but Q3:FY16 was the "Star Wars: The Old Republic community has grown to the highest subscriber level in nearly three years" quarter and in Q3:FY17 the subscription segment as a whole is "up 16% year on year" over that quarter.

SWTOR itself may have gone down, stayed flat, or gone up (by less than Access / Origin), but if it did drop off it wasn't a serious enough decline to blunt the segment's overall growth.

I expect for Q3 it bumped up for the expansion, the server stats show that bump, it's just a lot less than last year. The unsubs won't show until Q4 and some more in Q1 (when the rest of the 180 day run out.) I expect Q4 to be the real telling report. If SWTOR isn't mentioned then, it's neutral to bad, if it's mentioned in a negative way, it's really bad. I don't see a chance in hell that it will get a positive mention.

The reality is that none of us can really tell anything about any particular game in EAs suite of active games from their quarterly earnings announcement. That is the problem with large holding companies like EA, particularly in consumer products like games..... you only see them cherry picking their current popular or favorite game labels to focus on during the earnings call. The financials have to be SoX compliant, so there's nothing nefarious to read one way or the other in the actual financials either.

So really... any "doomsday outlook" or "rosy outlook" are complete conjecture on the part of players.

Since they said nothing one way or the other about SWTOR in this latest earnings call.. there is really nothing to see here. But that won't stop all the hyperbolic speculation in all different directions.

There has been some thoughtful comments in this thread (showing some players actually understand financial reporting), and a lot of completely silly comments as well. In other words... nothing different then the thread commentary in this forum for the last 5 years.. including the ever popular.. this is the end for SWTOR nonsense.

Edited by Andryah

The reality is that none of us can really tell anything about any particular game in EAs suite of active games from their quarterly earnings announcement.

SWToREconomics on the reddit thread for the results made some interesting points on how he feels he can extrapolate a reasoned estimate of SWToR revenue from the EA results - just appears to not have the time really dig into it to give it a try.

He gave some reasonably good ways he could achieve this and based on some of his previous work on his website he's got a good grasp on what he does.

No that's pretty much what I thought - I just thought "wow surely it couldn't have jumped that much in one quarter" but clearly it has.

It jumped what ... 21 million this year, 7 million the year before and 9 million the year before that. Quite the leap and it would be interesting to know what contributed the most.

They clarified that in this report - the jump came primarily from EA Access and Origin Access. As for SWTOR in the numbers, since it is included in the same bucket, there is no real way to tell.

I used to run a business unit for a globally recognized brand. Within the business segment, there were six business units. Mine and one other made TONS of cash while the other four were losing money. When they rolled up into the business segment, however, the overall business still made a profit. What was always reported to investors was the overall numbers of the business segment, not the individual business units. Ironically, we had one of those businesses where the executives were enamored with the tech, and always talked about it on investor calls, but it was the biggest money losing business unit in the segment.

The reason I bring this up is SWTOR could be bleeding money like a sieve. It could also be holding flat or even growing slightly, none of us will know because EA collectively groups all of that into sub services.

I would say about the only two things you can garner from the report is SWTOR didn't have a sudden big increase in revenue otherwise they would have pointed it out as contributing to the growth of sub services overall. Secondly, considering how much the executives talked about SW;GoH and SW:Battlefront, I think it is also safe to say that SWTOR holds no interest in the EA executive suites.

Edited by Wayshuba

Mine and one other made TONS of cash while the other four were losing money.

Some supermarket chains are like this as well. For them, profit and loss doesn't occur until you reach the district level. One chain I worked for had a district where a single store made enough to cover the losses for the other 7 in the district. The issue wasn't low sales or anything. The stores made a profit. It was just after they sent along their corporate contribution, on paper the seven stores showed a loss.

Are all the numbers quoted all swtor related or EA as a whole?

I do know that the SW Galaxy of Heroes App is very successful and would have an extremely low overhead.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it is one of their most lucrative profit making ventures at the moment.

I do know that the SW Galaxy of Heroes App is very successful and would have an extremely low overhead.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it is one of their most lucrative profit making ventures at the moment.

Yup seems to be.

You would be surprised how much people stick to these apps, its incredible for me too. Seems it the new generation of youngsters that are after this. Its also great profit for EA with minimal costs you get max profit, no wonder they are talking so much about it.

Most of the number being discussed are related to a business grouping known as subscription services. This encompasses 13 different items, with SWTOR being one of them. Since they don't break out any of those 13 separately, there is no way to know what the individual specifics are on SWTOR.

Most of the number being discussed are related to a business grouping known as subscription services. This encompasses 13 different items, with SWTOR being one of them. Since they don't break out any of those 13 separately, there is no way to know what the individual specifics are on SWTOR.

That's what I thought. So we have no way of knowing just how bad swtor is doing.

Reading through the thread this morning I'm glad you all understand the financial reports and are able to articulate them in plain english, because I tried to look at them and my brain was like.... Wall... of... numbers....

I read your posts and it starts to make sense, I think.

Basically, because SWTOR isn't mentioned, but had been in the past, we can speculate that they are either doing so poorly that EA chose not to point out the problem and leave them lumped in with the different financial groups that they fall into.

Or....

We can assume that they have plateaued and are neither failing nor prospering, but holding their own and because that doesn't contribute to any net losses or gains there really isn't anything to talk their investors about regards to SWTOR.

Furthermore the announcement of a brand new IP being DELIVERED before the end of the fiscal year (March 2017) lends support to the years old rumor that BW Austin has been working on a secret project.

Take into account that over the past 2 years, SWTOR has felt like a game that is understaffed and under appreciated. Then add in the news that BW has indeed been working on a brand new new IP that they are building from scratch. Also keep in mind that BW has had all 3 offices working on pieces of Mass Effect: Andromeda to get it out the door in February.

Now...

A.) One can speculate that the Austin Office has been more focused on everything except SWTOR, but now that BW's other major products are nearing completion they have begun to shift a few more resources back to SWTOR and will continue to reinforce it in the coming months. Hence Musco alluding to the idea that all our SWTOR woes might be fixed by the beginning of April

Or...

B.) BW is planning to spend the remainder of this year propping SWTOR up and preparing it for a long term maintenance mode.

Honestly the Galactic Command system feels like a "set it and forget it" system that, once perfected, would work well for a popular game that is being put in maintenance mode.

They pre program a bunch of different tiers of gear, make said gear difficult and time consuming to obtain then set an in game timer that populates the system with new levels of gear after a set amount of time. Convert Bolster and level sync so that everything in the game is buffed or debuffed depending on the average level of the gear that the player or group is wearing.

The reality is that none of us can really tell anything about any particular game in EAs suite of active games from their quarterly earnings announcement. That is the problem with large holding companies like EA, particularly in consumer products like games..... you only see them cherry picking their current popular or favorite game labels to focus on during the earnings call. The financials have to be SoX compliant, so there's nothing nefarious to read one way or the other in the actual financials either.

So really... any "doomsday outlook" or "rosy outlook" are complete conjecture on the part of players.

Since they said nothing one way or the other about SWTOR in this latest earnings call.. there is really nothing to see here. But that won't stop all the hyperbolic speculation in all different directions.

There has been some thoughtful comments in this thread (showing some players actually understand financial reporting), and a lot of completely silly comments as well. In other words... nothing different then the thread commentary in this forum for the last 5 years.. including the ever popular.. this is the end for SWTOR nonsense.

Well said. I always let myself get sucked into these threads but at its best it is informed conjecture.