Screen stutter makes game almost unplayable - Fix is annoying

logiboy

I've got a reasonably good system so raw performance isn't the problem;

i7 6700 CPU (3.4GHz)

16GB DDR4 RAM

NVidia Geforce GTX 970

Asus Z170 K Intel Z170 Mobo

Turns out the major culprit is "Scale Nameplates with Distance" option. So I've had to disable that, but doing so makes the nameplates absolutely massive, so I've also had to turn off nameplates for all except enemy NPCs. Tanking is not possible for me if I cannot easily see the enemy so I have to put up with massive nameplates for now.

I've heard the other option is to run windowed mode but I haven't tested it. But that setup interferers with my ability to lose myself into the game, so not really an option for me.

One option which could be implemented to work around this issue in a better way would be to allow us to set the text size of nameplates in the interface editor or preferences. If we can choose the font size then we don't have to use scaling. Pretty sure this would be a very easy option to implement, further it could be set as the default option on new installations.

This issue was affecting a friend of mine and actually caused him to stop playing the game. I probably would have as well if I didn't find a work around.

I forgot to add that I can reproduce the issue every time by;

Finding a highly populated area (player or NPC, doesn't matter) and holding down either A or D so that my camera spins. With nameplate scaling turned on it is stutter hell, with it turned off I get absolutely smooth panning.

I don't think this is a FPS issue. I had Fraps installed with an FPS counter in the top right and it was showing 60fps at all times.

I forgot to add that I can reproduce the issue every time by;

Finding a highly populated area (player or NPC, doesn't matter) and holding down either A or D so that my camera spins. With nameplate scaling turned on it is stutter hell, with it turned off I get absolutely smooth panning.

I don't think this is a FPS issue. I had Fraps installed with an FPS counter in the top right and it was showing 60fps at all times.

case of game engine sucking nameplates scaling has been issue since beta, they cant fixed just like they can fix the engine, and by cant fix I mean they dont want to cause it cost them money to do a new engine, and they dont want use the profits the getting from there scam crates from cratel market fix the game.

UI (including the nameplates) is based on scaleform

Tried playing in fullscreen (window) ? this will override a lot of existing profile settings in one hit see if it helps

I had a i7 6700 and a 970 (upgraded to 1080 now) and never had an issue with stutter or needing to turn off name plates, there will be something else at play, i use to spin like a tornado and no stutter with the 970 at 2560 x 1440 on ultra settings

Turning off nameplates is a workaround for something else occurring

If you must have vsynch enabled for example try setting to adaptive and test, there will be a cause of the stutter, its a matter of finding it.

Also set pre-rendered frames to 1 in the nvidia profile for swtor this usually alleviates most stutter issues

Just did a dig this post provides most ways to solve stutter , turning nameplates off is one provided ... others relate to settings already mentioned and limiting fps to 58 - Link

Edited by OwenBrooks

Hey all just an update to say I've been too busy having fun playing the game to worry about this issue. I have a workaround which is not annoying enough to force me to investigate.

I promise I will have a closer look soon and get back with some results, but probably not until the weekend.

I've got a reasonably good system so raw performance isn't the problem;

i7 6700 CPU (3.4GHz)

16GB DDR4 RAM

NVidia Geforce GTX 970

Asus Z170 K Intel Z170 Mobo

Turns out the major culprit is "Scale Nameplates with Distance" option. So I've had to disable that, but doing so makes the nameplates absolutely massive, so I've also had to turn off nameplates for all except enemy NPCs. Tanking is not possible for me if I cannot easily see the enemy so I have to put up with massive nameplates for now.

I've heard the other option is to run windowed mode but I haven't tested it. But that setup interferers with my ability to lose myself into the game, so not really an option for me.

One option which could be implemented to work around this issue in a better way would be to allow us to set the text size of nameplates in the interface editor or preferences. If we can choose the font size then we don't have to use scaling. Pretty sure this would be a very easy option to implement, further it could be set as the default option on new installations.

This issue was affecting a friend of mine and actually caused him to stop playing the game. I probably would have as well if I didn't find a work around.

There is a 'Fullscreen (Windowed)' option if you want to try that. The only quirk is that you can't control gamma, it uses the desktop's gamma setting.