The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Unnecessary junk attached to armor

ManckeB

I think we all enjoy a boot with a hold-out blaster or combat knife on it, but some of the crap attached to armor is just absurd IMO.

Take the Secret Agent Jacket, its awesome. I am cure I'm not alone in saying I was waiting for a jacket like this for a long time. But I was not wanting a goofy shoulder pauldron on it. The same could be said for the Renowned Duelist Jacket. In SW characters never have goofy crap attached to them. I would say that the look of Star Wars characters has historically been of the "verisimilitude friendly" variety. Think of the jackets worn by Finn, Han (in Empire) and Luke (New New Hope during awards) There were just jackets.

I have loved a lot of the stuff that has come out of the CM (I love my vented sabers) but I think it might be good to take a step back and have a moment of truth. The payers that want items that look like stuff they have seen in star wars moves don't want some funky thing hanging off of it. Look at how many more people wear Loyal Adherent instead of Ajunta Pall. I good many of them would have liked the tunic from Ajunta Pall without the goofy junk stuck to it.

i've been a sub since launch and I have been pleased with a lot of the content, but the basic look of different Star Wars Character Archetypes are genuinely difficult to pull off. Why? Please, when you are rolling out new cosmetic stuff (a great part of the game I think) please take that minute to ask "what are players going to say ruins this?" In many cases I think the related graphics work will even be less.

Well written, I can get behind every single point and all the examples you've mentioned. Too much unnecessary junk that ruins otherwise nice armor sets. Why would they add those is beyond me. It's terrible. It has to stop.

I can sign under everything you've said. Sounds exactly like something I complain about.

Loyal Adherent is a better alternative than Ajunta Pall but it's also ruined by unnecessary, goofy attachment for neck. I would have loved many of the already released armor sets to come out in alternatives without stupid junk and for the future sets to be designed with some kind of simplicity and usefulness in mind. So much of that junk is just unnecessary and serves absolutely no purpose. And in case of lore sets they often weren't there in the first place either. Hump sack on Jolee's armor or neckwrap on Vrook's. Just why? And the new silent warden is just terrible. Hood is oversized and terribly modelled, looks awful with weapon drawn.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I think the good news is that the issue being raised is very easy to address. We know from what we saw with the Casual Connoisseur Jacket (derived from Mira's Jacket) that the architecture supports the new items we would like to see,. That is to say that they can make them using the existing components already developed.

I would reiterate that the fact the basic stuff, like the Insidious Counselor sell for so much on the GTN demonstrates that myriad users share the here expressed sentiment.

The artists and designers would be better off drawing more influence from Star Wars than other MMOs.

All that unnecessary junk that tends to ruin would what otherwise be a cool design -oversized pauldrons, random and unneccessary bits of armor slapped on haphazardly, spikes, weird flaps, easter egg coloring, ect...most of that looks like it hopped out of World of Warcraft or a similar MMO.

Like... The Exiled Knight example. Seriously, it is so close to the highly-desired, requested and iconic item. Why would they ruin it with funky stuff. I wish they made a version without clunky metal stuff and a badly modeled hood threw in just to piss people off. If they removed all attachments leaving only below-the-waist bit and tabard + long sleeves it would have been perfect with some texturing. Perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/Sx2CMLG.png

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Agreed! I don't know what fetish these guys have with sticking bits and pieces to otherwise great looking armour!

You know we have four, FOUR exact same versions of the Rectified Brawler set? (Rectified, Nimble, Dynamic and Battleworn Jedi <-- this one isn't a collectable) They are just slightly different coloured. At least one of those four could have had that *********** shoulder pad and whatever the **** backpack that is removed. But no.

To be fair, they have been getting somewhat better at not throwing **** at armour and seeing what sticks... but it still happens here and there on sets that really don't need it.

Edit: I stand corrected, the Dynamic Brawler doesn't have the shoulder, but it still has that ridiculous back piece.

Edited by Darth-Rion

Forget it. This fetish with "applicated things" is far more stronger than any rational thinking.

To remove them has been suggested for YEARS now - but they just carry on with it, as is nothing had ever been there.

I just wish someoine would do these kinds of armor in RL and then show up on a Cantina Event. That would show them how silly this stuff actually is ...

Agree with every point. I too am a sub since early access (3 CE's actually - and I currently maintain 4 subs for my family). I used to buy CC's monthly (14k) but have stopped since the gear is so clunky and frankly unappealing.

It seems like the best looking outfits are on NPCs but players get stuck with stuff stuck on stuff :-)

Agreed. I would absolutely love it if they released "new" gear that is really the best of the old gear without all the gizmos and flanges and other odd stuff stuck to it. I don't like weird techno-backpacks, boot attachments, or the notorious "groin curtains". Worst of all are hoods that make me bald. Edited by Xina_LA