The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Speculation about Zildrog

MaryEO

So I've been wondering since KOTFE started and there was this whole thing about Zildrog, if they wouldn't used that in an operation or something. Seems like having Zildrog rise would make the perfect final boss in this new operation. Or maybe he could be a World Boss for Zakuul. I expect to see this monster at some point!

Well, considering that the first boss is one of the Zakuul Gods (in the form of a giant robot) it wouldn't surprise me if we eventually had to carve our way through their entire mechanized pantheon.

Only problem is... well, this.

"Meddle not in the affairs of Mechanized Deities, for you are small and easily stepped upon"

Personally, I must congratulate the devs for making up this Zildrog stuff at all :

It fits perfectly the pattern of what bekomes of facts in RL after several hundred or even thousands of years :

Things become legends. Or, even, kind of religious beliefs.

A few examples.

- The story I once heard that there was a tiny spot in England (?) called the grave of a rich king ... well, the "rtich" part was actually true, Archaeologist said, as this story goes ... I have no reference to this story, though, so you'd better treat it rather as a rumor.

- Other tales, however, might be true in fact : Mounds having special names often indeed bear the remnants of long gone chieftains - and these hills, moundsand sometimes even small mountains have names which are a corrupted form of what has been there, once : A burial mound of a rich chieftain.

- In some cases, memories of mounds like this even persist : So in Denmark (?), where there is an area filled with still untouched grave mounds - and all of them are called "king's burials" ... Or the ship burials of Sutton-Hoo. In continental Europe, however, most of them had already been robbed even in antique times, worse so in modern times.

- And don't forget Troy. The tale by Homer, and the RL place. The tale was written down several hundred years already after the event - but still it shows echoes from what hapened there.

We must therefore assume that most of our Fairy Tales contain a core that took once place in RL. The RL event became heavily distorted over time, then. One good example of this is the story of Beowulf, and the tale of Hengest and Finn (Hengest and Horsa (these were nicknames) were the leaders of the Ango-Saxon invasion into Britain).

I was very impressed by how much Tolkien was able to draw out that ancient, Old English text that showed a very distorted version - around the time of its writing a Legend - of things that were once relevant in RL, like the genealogy of Kings.

Zildrog is a similar thing. A strong, dark, dangerous Dragon or Serpent of some kind, being able to devour and destroy anything ... And it lived in the Endless Swamp !

This is in fact nothing but a heavily distorted memory of

The Gravestone

(and its power) being buried in the Endless Swamp ...

So, congratulations to the devs for managing to develop such a Legend ... that's not an easy task, I guess, and it requires a lot of knowledge about how Fairy Tales and Legends work ...