The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shieldtech: So... Mako til 50?

Xexo

Hello my fellow Shieldtech brothers and sisters,

I'm 35 now and just recieved my 3rd companion, (well technically 4th) who is a melee DPS. The trouble is, I've used Mako exclusively because I have 0 downtime with her and although she is not the best at healing she keeps my health topped off. She allows me to take on 1 elite and a few silver mobs and normal mobs at the same time. I blow all defensive cooldowns in the process but it's comfortably do-able if you time it right.

I was thinking of swapping Mako out for maybe a ranged DPS as this might increase my leveling speed but then I'm thinking I'll have more down time? So I guess my other question is, does Recharge and Reload really add that much to downtime?

Let me know what you think or what your set up is for leveling so we can compare notes.

Thanks!

I switched out Mako fot the Sniper companion, Gault. I spent maybe 3 full levels with him.

In the same senario as you described I would set Gault on one of the silver targets (preferably a melee target if availiable so that I could AoE the remaining mobs and not pull off him). He could kill the silver target faster than I could and with about 1/3 of his health left. By this time I would almost have the other silver mobs down and have left the gold elite untouched. I would then have him attack the remaining non-elite mobs while I then turned onto the gold elite (I have his attack set to my side mouse button for mid-combat quick micromanaging).

After some time with him I finally went back to Mako, as the healing she provided was just to handy to pass up. The solo-ability between a DPS companion and a Healer companion for a Shieldtech is nearly the same, its just a little less frightening with the healer as your health doesent get down below 10% on those tough Group +2 Heroic fights.

Hello my fellow Shieldtech brothers and sisters,

I'm 35 now and just recieved my 3rd companion, (well technically 4th) who is a melee DPS. The trouble is, I've used Mako exclusively because I have 0 downtime with her and although she is not the best at healing she keeps my health topped off. She allows me to take on 1 elite and a few silver mobs and normal mobs at the same time. I blow all defensive cooldowns in the process but it's comfortably do-able if you time it right.

I was thinking of swapping Mako out for maybe a ranged DPS as this might increase my leveling speed but then I'm thinking I'll have more down time? So I guess my other question is, does Recharge and Reload really add that much to downtime?

Let me know what you think or what your set up is for leveling so we can compare notes.

Thanks!

1-50 with Mako as an Arsenal Merc - Never looked back

I just want to note two things:

1. I made a republic smuggler that looks just like mako and named her Nako. So far it has been hilarious. In my mind she is Mako's sister that didn't go to college.

2. A Jawa with a rocket launcher should make you invulnerable in pvp or something, cause if I saw that running around the world I would laugh myself retarded and get pwnd.

I used Companions as they became available, except for Blizz. So Mako, then when I got Gault I used him, and when I got Torian I stuck with him until Skadge. I love Skadge too much, I never get tired of what he says, plus I just downgrade my armor to him(could do that with Torian too) so he is pretty darn well equipped. I guess I did my companion choice based on preference and not utility, but then again in Open World PvP I noticed Skadge seems to be more useful than those pocket healer companions, heck he tears them apart while I tear apart the player. :D

Jawa with a rocket launcher. Who cares about efficiency if you can have a JAWA WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER?

hahahaha this!!

i bring blizz w/me a bunch, he's just so cute/fun/funny! damned sensibility! damned balance! damned effectiveness!

i now rotate between torian and mako. a: they're both kinda goodie two shoes, which my BH is. b: torian's the best for damage for me, he kicks butt. however, if i have to solo a groupx2 or something, or an orange quest (i'm 42 right now), it's gotta be mako.

HOWEVER i'm totally fine questing w/blizz. what i do on elites (not that i can't beat them straight up) - is, i send him in first, let him take a bunch of damage, then i come in and lay into mobs. i get aggro obviously very fast. can always taunt, too. and if it's a really hard mob, i can make blizz taunt if i'm in any danger, and i can taunt back when he's really low.

you can make any work. don't neglect gearing your companions if you want them to be effective. torian and mako are very well geared for me, and both perform awesome.

Edited by EzFlyer

I use Torian for regular questing/leveling, if I have to fight a particularly hard elite or champion I will bring out Mako for the heals.

Really don't need Mako's heals for the normal guys, downtime is pretty damn low with that out of combat heal. Torian is easy to keep upgraded, you just give him your hand me downs when you get an upgrade.

Another good strategy is to use Gault and Mako because they use the same armor type and stats so u can make one set of gear and just switch it between the two of them.

I don't suggest using Blizz as a shieldtech as your rocket punch and heat venting depends on you shielding attacks and if you have a tank pet you obviously don't shield as much. You can of course turn off his tanking abilities, but that's more than half his abilities so that makes him pretty useless.

Edited by TeejayMac