Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New player - Why should i keep subscribing?.

Dreez

I started playing almost 1 month ago, i'm a player who focuses on one character, building them strong

for both pvp and pve, but i get bored when i am locked to 1 piece of content. When i played WoW many years

ago (pre Lichking) i had many options when i logged in that all would benefit my character in some way.

I could either join Arenas and collect seasongear that would vastly improve my characters effectiveness,

or i could do any of the dungeons for BiS gear that i still hadn't gotten. But i wasn't tied down to 1 dungeon,

i had plenty to chose from unless i wanted one specific item that only dropped in "that" dungeon.

Or i could spend an hour farming for elemental mats that sold for good gold, well worth the time spent

farming, or i could just WORLD PVP.

But when i got to 70 in SWTOR i noticed that suddenly... there wasn't anything to do, nothing that actually

made an impact on my character. Heroics stopped giving me gear after L60, so that's one piece of content

that is totally unnecessary for me unless they're needed for conquest, so that's 1/3 of the content a waste of time.

What about Flashpoints ?. I've ran Flashpoints since the 2nd day i played, i cleared The False Emperor on

my second day (first day in guild) and i have NEVER seen an upgrade drop, i have never seen anything

drop in Flashpoints that has made me go "YES I NEED THAT"... everything that i've seen in Flashpoints has

been vendorcrap.. green and blue gear that has always been subpar compared to the gear i got from L60 Heroics.

So there's another piece of content that really isn't of any use for my L70 character... He's full 230 gear with

4/7 piece set... So now we're up to 2/3 of content that aren't of any use playing.

Then we have the PvP and the class-balance combined with really stupid warzone mechanics.

Just yesterday in the Ancient Hypergate we saw several times how poorly the mechanics are balance

when 1 Assassin kept 2 of our players from capping our gateway for 1 minute by using stealth and disables,

more then enough time for 2 more enemies coming to our gateway, then we couldn't cap it at all.

In the Voidstar Warzone, classes with stealth mechanic are utterly gamebreaking. It takes 10 seconds

to plant or disarm a bomb, in which time, a cloaked class can easily sneak by and interupt any player,

how are you suppose to plant a bomb when there is NO WAY to stop a stealthed character from interupting you?.

Then there's the class-balance in pvp.. it's dreadful, non existant, and in 5+ years you devs still haven't

managed to balance them or even learn how to properly implement changes carefully.

You had 2 classes that were underperforming slightly, commando and mercenary, then you update the

2 and now they're unstoppable.. How do you, as a developer, excuse that drastic change from slightly

underperforming to vastly outperforming other classes ?.

How am a player and subscriber suppose to believe that you can do your job, when you still haven't learned

how to properly test and apply changes to classes after 5+ years ?. If i would've had your trackrecord of

failiures and MY job, i would've been out of a job the first month... i was building electronic cablesystems

for airplanes, armyvehicles and large transports. You think MY employer would've liked me saying "next time"

for this long. MY goal as employer always is to produce maximum quality, something i'm proud of.

So why should i continue to subscribe?. My sub ends this tuesday, and 2/3 of the game is a waste of

my time since nothing of it will help me to gearup my character.. I'M NOT COLLECTING TOKENS,

i want gear. Every game i've played sofar has rewarded me with GEAR.. NOT TOKENS.

Rift - Gear - direct reward.

WoW - Gear - direct reward.

Tera - Gear - direct reward.

ArcheAge - Gear - direct reward.

Warhammer Online - Gear - direct reward.

Age of Camelot - Gear - direct reward.

Elderscrolls Online - Gear - direct reward.

Defiance - Gear - direct reward.

Wildstar - Gear - direct reward.

SWTOR - Tokens - indirect reward - fail.

The only way i can see this game turning around, is making Flashpoints a steppingstone for Operations,

a REAL steppingstone with bosses that drops REAL rewards. If a dungeon and boss is hard enough to

wipe a group of non-elite players several times, then there should be some form of reward for them

once they actually beat the boss - otherwise those players are never going to go back... again.

Every boss in Flashpoints should drop gear. And since players over 60 doesn't get any gear from Heroics,

that should be the next avenue to gearing up before Operations.. NOT trusting in stupid CMD-Crates.

(My last 10crates has rewarded JUNK)

Make Heroics give craftingmats according to your profession.

Make Flashpoints be the steppingstone towards Operations.

STOP Overpowereing classes - test your updates THOROUGHLY !.

So why should i keep subscribing ?

I guess from the absence of staff-replies, there are no reason why i should continue to subscribe.

That means the game will continue to give a dreadfull experience once you've reached 60

and are expecting to have more then 10% of the content actually worth playing.

Your OP is a bit hard to read, and it's a bit strange when it comes from a "new player" with a low 6 digit user ID.

You reward for Chapters, Dailies, Heroics, Flashpoints, and Uprisings is CXP that translates to randomly gained gear. Pre 5.0 those activities dropped currencies which you could use buy gear from vendors, there also used to be random loot drops, which were better than the vendor gear of the same tier.

You outgrew this gear very quickly, though, making the activities that provided that gear obsolete. Now with 5.0 all those activities allow you to get better gear. For those of us who play for more than a month, the main issue is the randomness of this gearing process. With 5.1 BW responded and retouched OPS and PVP gearing .

Ops now work pretty much as they did the past 5 years. The main difference is that the first few bosses now only have a chance to drop an unassembled gear piece. The command token cost is negligible, even just doing ops should earn you enough command ranks to buy your gear.

PVP gearing also works the same as in the past 5 years, there is one extra vendor involved, but the real problem is that gearing is much more time consuming than it was before. Even getting to full ranked gear with WZs pre 3.3 didn't take as long as it now takes get the first tier. Other than for OPS, the 5.1 PVP gearing system is just an addon to the command crate grind, not an alternative.

As for your general PVP issues, sorry, but those are L2P issues. As someone playing for 1 month, there is no shame in being fooled by a veteran stealther who knows that stalling is more efficient than ganking.

Edited by Mubrak

I guess from the absence of staff-replies, there are no reason why i should continue to subscribe.

That means the game will continue to give a dreadfull experience once you've reached 60

Just because you do not get a direct response from BW does not mean they did not read it. If they responded to every "please respond to me" thread, Musco and others would do nothing but respond to threads 24/7 (and still fall behind)

You know, if you only pick one character and go all crazy with it, then you're missing 7/8 of the overall content that this game has to offer... I would suggest playing at least one of each of the story arcs to level 50...

Does that give you a huge reason to continue subbing? Maybe not, but it may give you more reasons to play...

The only time the staff posts on the weekend is when there is a serious problem, such as a server going down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.