Armormech - Huge Waste of Time and Money

Smokt

Reading this post is just confusing. While I am not armortech I am armstech (or w/e its called making pretty much all non lightsaber weapons) and I will say that everything I am making is better than any quest/flashpoint/pvp reward I have seen at the same lvl. All I am doing is making and breaking until I get blues/purples and like is said these are better than any loot I have seen. The last weapon I used from a quest was just after getting to DK for my class quests. After that its all crafted weapons from id say lvl 15ish until currently lvl 35. I have 2 purples pistols in my bank waiting for me to lvl up and I am already working towards the upgrade for the 2 after that. I would assume that other crafting would work simular no?

Reading this post is just confusing. While I am not armortech I am armstech (or w/e its called making pretty much all non lightsaber weapons) and I will say that everything I am making is better than any quest/flashpoint/pvp reward I have seen at the same lvl. All I am doing is making and breaking until I get blues/purples and like is said these are better than any loot I have seen. The last weapon I used from a quest was just after getting to DK for my class quests. After that its all crafted weapons from id say lvl 15ish until currently lvl 35. I have 2 purples pistols in my bank waiting for me to lvl up and I am already working towards the upgrade for the 2 after that. I would assume that other crafting would work simular no?

Making and breaking weapons is costing me a small fortune. Also some weapons like knifes do not give a new recipe no matter how often you make and break them. I bought an orange pistol for my sidekick with Dromund Kaas commandations and got an orange sniper rifle from a flashpoint. Both of these are vastly superior then anything I can make. As far as I know only making and RE barrels will give you new recipies. I have never gotten a new recipie from any other weapon I made and RE. I think I have RE over 20 green sniper rifles without ever getting a new blue recipe.

Crafting in this game just confuses me, maybe I'm missing something and you can fill me in.

1. Why would anyone craft anything but the lowest tier orange they can, *because*: The orange item you craft has nothing to do with anything, it's just a shell. The mods you put into it determine the item level once equipped.

The only reason I even made an armor crafter, was to get a set of lowbie oranges. I've been leveling with that set since the teens, and just replacing mods as I go. Is this not the case? Am I missing something? My mod-updated gear remains better or very very close to anything I've ever found/seen.

If this really is the case, and I'm not missing something, it's probably the most /boggle worth crafting system in any game I've ever seen.

Please fill me in as to why someone would even bother leveling any armor skill above what's needed to make the first set of oranges?

2.) Crits. Come end game folks are going to be looking for 4 slot armor peices and the only way to get it is through your AM/Synth. However unless you ridiculously lucky, you are looking at 5-6 crafts for the hope of a crit, and no one wants a non crit orange item. See #1

You price them based on that, and the time they take. I used to make fortunes in DAoC crafting Masterpiece equipment. That was a 2% chance each time, and the rest was considered junk.

We're in the very early days of a new MMO, with few players at the top level, so tiny market, and those there are haven't made the huge stacks of credits they will over time. We can also expect other balance changes I'm sure (not just slicing). This isn't a single player game where this stuff is fixed.

To be fair, armortech (and synthweaving) should be able to make armoring. Armortech makes the armoring for non-Force users, synthweaving makes the Force-Users ones, and cyber keeps what it already has. Armstech can make barrels and Artifice can make hilts to keep up customizable weapons, why do the armor crew skills get left out?

And frankly, I'm a bit annoyed that armortech can't make shield generators either; but, that's minor in the grand scheme of things.

Give Armortech (and synthweaving) the ability to make armoring and the situation for both crew skills will get A LOT better. I'm seriously thinking about switching over to Cyber because I have a lot of custom armor already... which I can't upgrade as an armortech... SAY WHAT?

Give Armortech (and synthweaving) the ability to make armoring and the situation for both crew skills will get A LOT better. I'm seriously thinking about switching over to Cyber because I have a lot of custom armor already... which I can't upgrade as an armortech... SAY WHAT?

Switch to Biochem.

You'll get those mods/enhc faster by doing dailies instead of going cybertech.

Seriously. What a joke. I poured a pile of credits into leveling this skill up along with more credits into companion affection to improve results.

.... assorted BS .....

So LESSON LEARNED. Don't level up armormech. The way this game is designed is that there are just WAY TOO MANY high level crafters since its so easy, and we've all been duped big time into the ARMORMECH AND COMPANION AFFECTION SCAM.

Not true at all.

I craft and sell armor every day.

If you don't know how to work within a VERY viable market then I suggest you find a different crafting skill.

My Armormech is only at 275 right now. Poking around this morning, it seems that all of the good level 50 gear requires BoP ingredients that come from raids and hardmode instances. Is that true? Because...I don't run instances. Instead, my playtime is devoted to PvP, exploration, and crafting.

Are crafters really forced to run instances to craft?

Are crafters really forced to run instances to craft?

I'm wondering this as well. I may do some instancing and maybe even some raiding on one character, but not all of them - and I plan on having every crafting skill to be self-sufficient. Since I won't raid on all my characters I think my crew skills will come in very handy, with self-made gear made by others of my chars.

That is, as long as Bioware stays away from making all the really good stuff only craftable with BoP parts only obtainable from instances/raids...

And on the original topic, I'd just like to say I think Armormech is quite good. My BH with Armormech is level 28, and has been able to craft lots of very competitive (against quest rewards and world drops) gear for himself, his companions, and some of my alts. Granted, he hasn't sold much of it on the GTN, but that's for lack of trying because the GTNs are few and far between more than the gear being useless.

Making and breaking weapons is costing me a small fortune. Also some weapons like knifes do not give a new recipe no matter how often you make and break them. I bought an orange pistol for my sidekick with Dromund Kaas commandations and got an orange sniper rifle from a flashpoint. Both of these are vastly superior then anything I can make. As far as I know only making and RE barrels will give you new recipies. I have never gotten a new recipie from any other weapon I made and RE. I think I have RE over 20 green sniper rifles without ever getting a new blue recipe.

Made purple blaster pistols before, I have a purple blaster rifle waiting for my IA when I start levelling her.

And on the original topic, I'd just like to say I think Armormech is quite good. My BH with Armormech is level 28, and has been able to craft lots of very competitive (against quest rewards and world drops) gear for himself, his companions, and some of my alts..

Yeah I'm right there with ya, a level 21 BH with armormech/salvage/underworld and I've been crafting a lot of gear for myself and Mako. Since it's hard for me to commit time for Flashpoints this works out pretty good for me. I have blues/greens and 1 purple item I can craft. On top of this all, it is very nice that I can send my companions to craft things for me while I quest :)

You price them based on that, and the time they take. I used to make fortunes in DAoC crafting Masterpiece equipment. That was a 2% chance each time, and the rest was considered junk.

We're in the very early days of a new MMO, with few players at the top level, so tiny market, and those there are haven't made the huge stacks of credits they will over time. We can also expect other balance changes I'm sure (not just slicing). This isn't a single player game where this stuff is fixed.

Ooo I remember that, was great fun. However as a crafter you could make tons of plat on that, but you also made money on the breaking down of those items that you made into bars and sold those for tons of money to a vendor.

Difference between your daoc example and SWTOR is that there is no way to break down oranges for your mats back. You are essentially spending 7k for the chance at a crit and cannot break down failed attempts into raw materials to try again.

Obviously I am not advocating a 1-1 RE system, but the RE system needs to be close to it for ORANGE items so we dont see "WTS Orange Heavy Armor 4 slot, 1.5m credits PST"

Meh, I'm going to keep armormeching on my toon anyways; sometimes I make gear even better than what I'm finding, (granted, I don't farm flashpoints,) and I'm alright with waiting around for an improvement while I master the thousand-some potential schematics there are.

I can't imagine Bioware will never add to the crafts, and if they do then it would be rather strange to see armormech be left out.