Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Melee and Leeroy Jenkins Syndrome

Lhancelot

If you are a melee, and you cry about mercs and snipers incessantly there's a good chance you have Leeroy Jenkins Syndrome.

Since 5.0, with the addition of better DCDs for some of the ranged classes, it's not surprising that so many melee have become afflicted by this disorder.

There are many features of Leeroy Jenkins Syndrome, and not every melee with Leeroy Jenkins Syndrome has all the same features or PVP problems.

Some features and problems that are common are listed below.

1. Do you rush forth with reckless abandon attacking the ranged in PVP, expecting them to die in 3-4 hits as they once did prior to 5.0?

2. Do you have the inability to read buff bars and react appropriately to obvious visual cues in the game that indicate the ranged is using a DCD?

3. Do you have the inability to tactically fight ranged by using many of the different available defenses afforded to your melee class?

4. Do you have an irrational propensity to only using offensive melee damage abilities and thinking that should be good enough to win against the ranged?

5. Do you have the inability to use LOS to avoid incoming damage by ranged?

6. Are you seemingly blind to the fact every map has terrain that can be used to hide around and use as gap closers to the enemy?

These are just some of the common characteristics of Leeroy Jenkins Syndrome.

If you notice yourself or others you care about having any of these symptoms and are concerned that you or they might have Leeroy Jenkins Syndrome, please contact a good PVPer for help, or consult with any of the available online guides that explain how to properly PVP as a melee against ranged.

Remember, there is hope, and you are not alone.

To view the real Leeroy Jenkins in action, and understand this affliction better feel free to watch the Youtube video link below. Don't be a Leeroy Jenkins.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah ha ha ha!! This one cracked me up. Good job for using a humorous approach rather than spamming hate. Now if someone could only write a similar advertisement to reach out to Sage/Sorc healers who use force speed and run to cap and objective and then leave it unguarded to go heal at mid. ;-)

Even Ray charle's can see how many of these classes are played now when is the devs going to do something about them ? every game you see a mass quantity of merc's and snipers. snipers tank better then jugg's, have better survivability then most and if you end up in a 8v8 with 3 snipers 2 mercs a tank and 2 healers might as well quit the wz cause does not matter what you have for a team you are demolished with no chance at all to do anything.Something needs to be done and the devs need to open there eyes as i said even ray charle's can see the fotm classes in 5.0

neither of these 2 classes should be able to face tank better then actuall tank classes designed specifically to tank.

Ps i play both sniper and a ap merc. to think they are not oped as of right now you sir are even more blind then said ray charle's or just hoping , wishing that others are as well. When a sniper can hold on to a ball in quesh ball and be attacked by 8 people and not die at the bottom of map for the duration of game, with out a healer there is a problem , that is not at all reasoned by other players skill.

oh and ps as well just like the pt and sorc where oped in 4.0 where are they now ? your time will come. be biased all you want

Edited by falkron-kerupt

... every game you see a mass quantity of merc's and snipers.....t

Was in a game earlier today with 8 sorcs / sages, 2 commando / merc and 0 slingers / snipers total. Clearly the mercs and commandos are over represented in every game

Edited by HelinCarnate

snipers are sort of overtuned as well. if they had 3 H2Fs like mercs, they'd actually be worse

Commando and Merc would be OP as well if they had 3 H2F. They only have 1 that is close and you have to spend a utility point to get to heal to 70%. If the commandos / mercs you play are able to heal to full 3 times then the fault lies with you and your team for healing them.

Everything you wrote is 100% correct, yet merc is still OP as hell.

Tankasins were OP as hell. Pyro PTs were OP as hell. Smashmonkeys were OP as hell. Bubblestun was OP as hell and stupid beyond comprehension. Madness Sorcs were OP as hell.

Current Merc pales in comparison to all of these.

Edited by BenitsubasaChiyo

As a Merc main and mara alt, i can say that this is 100% true, if you want to learn to counter mercs, play one for a couple weeklys at least and get comfortable on one. You will see that while they are absolutely op, they are definitely counter-able when played against right.

Tankasins were OP as hell. Pyro PTs were OP as hell. Smashmonkeys were OP as hell. Bubblestun was OP as hell and stupid beyond comprehension. Madness Sorcs were OP as hell.

Just because its not OP in damage doesn't mean its not OP as hell.

Nothing like an oldie but a goodie for a chuckle.

lol I know, I found out about this video well after it was popular as I never got into WOW much, and had never heard of it while playing other games.

Not even being a WOW fan, I still can appreciate the video as I think we all have done or know someone that did this kind of thing on a raid, in PVP, etc.

The fact it can be applied to many players regarding how they fight mercs just happens to be fitting too. :p

Madness Sorcs were never as survivable or had anywhere near the burst and DPS that Mercs do now. Hell, none of your examples had that. I'm all for leaving Mercs alone, but let's not pretend they aren't OP as heck.

Main a Mara- a match was a complete write-off last night because of a team full of snipers and mercs, only a few were other classes. To disclose, I have players in my brain listed as free food because of how they play, not classes and I don't have a problem with snipers in normal numbers. But this situation is different to 4.0 and people who would do stupid things during warzones fighting with my Lightning Sorcerer... but people whined like crazy over one discipline in the class that actually had the issue which was the Corruption Sorcerer and its mirror.

I don't think snipers need a nerf at all- and I'd be happy with Mercs keeping their orange damage reflect bubble if 'they weren't allowed to attack during it' or suffered low DPS during its cycle.

lol I know, I found out about this video well after it was popular as I never got into WOW much, and had never heard of it while playing other games.

Not even being a WOW fan, I still can appreciate the video as I think we all have done or know someone that did this kind of thing on a raid, in PVP, etc.

The fact it can be applied to many players regarding how they fight mercs just happens to be fitting too. :p

In pve play where the mobs keep on attacking with my reflect or other shield up, I have started to develop LJS on my commando when I am in DPS (at least in tacticals with no tank). Sorry in advance to those that try and "save" me and end up pulling aggro from me.

Bubblestun didn't help sorc in 1v1 THAT much. Everything else you listed was less cancerous than current mercs.

The only thing that actually helps is the incredible amount of rerolled bads who don't utilize the class even for 50%.

Edited by DerSchneider

Same here, I did not play much WoW either, but that last line still makes me laugh. And I have definitely been guilty of leeroying on occasion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.