Sub companions with CC?

insanegod

I think it's funny that you picked for your example the one new companion that CAN wear different armor.

THEN I DEMAND TO BE ALLOWED TO PAY CC FOR SHAE VIZLA!!!

(Not really, but what else could I say in response?)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you count all the subscriber rewards for the months that chapters 10-16 were released, including the BONUS chapter, and Shae Vizla and the walker mount in the months leading up to 5.0.

That sounds to me like subscriber rewards were utilized well after 4.0 dropped.

Except we can't count them is the point and we certainly can't ascertain who would have unsubbed if not for the rewards.

I personally sub for access to new content when it's around and access to my credits when they get high enough and some new packs to replenish my stock.

I personally care not for sub rewards usually though the extra chapter was about the only one that had me thinking twice - in the end it wasn't worth subbing every month for me as I quickly ran out of things to do in game so I took an almost 2 month time off subbing iirc yet I somehow still got the chapter so yay me I guess.

I have got various other sub rewards and missed others but none came from purely staying subbed as I wanted rewards. I only say this because the only example around sub reward motivation I can prove is my own.

Going forward, I think a better solution would be to keep SOME rewards as time specific, but also add a veteran reward system with similar, but different rewards.

BW could use time specific rewards if they felt the need to bolster subscriptions at certain times, but could also reward those who reached certain milestones of total time subscribed that everyone would eventually be able to reach.

I think a tiered sub reward system would work nicely actually released at the start of each year. 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and 12 month tiers for example and not necessarily consecutive for the 1-6 month rewards. Then also hold over the previous tiers rewards from the previous year so you aren't purely punishing people who just happened to join the game mid year but may miss out on the 12 month reward because of that fact.

I would also think offering up the rewards at a CC cost equivalent to the time frame subbing via the CM and have them BoL wouldn't be too bad. Thus you could only possibly get them by paying real world money ( well if they got rid of the silly referral program that's just an avenue for abuse these days ) and it would have ideally ended up costing you what the equivalent sub would have.

Basically I don't see how much extra incentive the word "exclusive" has over the word "free".

Sorry to tell you, but you lost the bet.

One of the KotFE sub rewards was the KOTOR inspired swoop bike Kakkran Daggerstar. To get it, you had to be subscribed on Oct 19, 2015, as can be seen below:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2qutanl.jpg

But now, anyone who buys the Knights of the Eternal Throne – Origin Eternal Empire Pack will get 60-day game time, 1,050 CCs and... the Kakkran Daggerstar! See for yourself:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/deluxe-pack

I got the mount as a sub reward and after buying the Origin pack, can confirm it's the same mount.

Nice spotting and ignore what Andryah posted in reply to you ... he'll post almost anything to white knight a thread.

Except we can't count them is the point and we certainly can't ascertain who would have unsubbed if not for the rewards.

I personally sub for access to new content when it's around and access to my credits when they get high enough and some new packs to replenish my stock.

I personally care not for sub rewards usually though the extra chapter was about the only one that had me thinking twice - in the end it wasn't worth subbing every month for me as I quickly ran out of things to do in game so I took an almost 2 month time off subbing iirc yet I somehow still got the chapter so yay me I guess.

I have got various other sub rewards and missed others but none came from purely staying subbed as I wanted rewards. I only say this because the only example around sub reward motivation I can prove is my own.

The point is that the subscriber reward promotions continued well after the release of 4.0.

How many of those that received the subscriber rewards would have unsubscribed if not for the rewards? Even BW doesn't have those numbers.

There have been many posters who have said they maintained their subscription for the rewards, even though they may not have been able to play much during that time. That speaks volumes to me as to the effectiveness of the incentive that the rewards provided.

I think a tiered sub reward system would work nicely actually released at the start of each year. 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and 12 month tiers for example and not necessarily consecutive for the 1-6 month rewards. Then also hold over the previous tiers rewards from the previous year so you aren't purely punishing people who just happened to join the game mid year but may miss out on the 12 month reward because of that fact.

I would also think offering up the rewards at a CC cost equivalent to the time frame subbing via the CM and have them BoL wouldn't be too bad. Thus you could only possibly get them by paying real world money ( well if they got rid of the silly referral program that's just an avenue for abuse these days ) and it would have ideally ended up costing you what the equivalent sub would have.

I do not think that any subscriber rewards should be sold on the CM, but IF BW chose to do so, then it should not be for CC's. Even you admit that the referral program makes that problematic, I do not see BW removing the referral program and CC's provided by that program, let alone the stipends that subscribers and security key holders get.

IF any subscriber rewards are made available again via the CM, they should be for real money only and they should cost more than the "subscription reward promotion" would have cost, IMO.

Basically I don't see how much extra incentive the word "exclusive" has over the word "free".

The word "exclusive" provides the incentive to subscribe because if Johnny does not subscribe at the proper time, he misses out.

The word "free" just means that if Johnny does it now, he doesn't have to pay anything extra. He doesn't have to subscribe at the correct time to get it. He can wait to see if he really likes the reward and then if he likes it and wants it, he can pay a pittance to get it.

Think of the "exclusive" as a limited edition, numbered action figure, signed by the actor that played that character. If you don't get one before they are sold out, you likely will not get one.

The "free" would be more like the newest line of action figures that is released. They'll be around for a while, and you can wait to see the actual action figure before you decide if you like it. If you do, it will likely be in a few weeks or months, so you can pay less than those who had to have it right away.

Maybe it's just me, but the "exclusive" time specific reward promotion provides much more incentive to subscribe.

There have been many posters who have said they maintained their subscription for the rewards, even though they may not have been able to play much during that time. That speaks volumes to me as to the effectiveness of the incentive that the rewards provided.

Ok well I must have missed them though that may very well be to my own absence during that period of time in 4.0 cycle.

I do not think that any subscriber rewards should be sold on the CM, but IF BW chose to do so, then it should not be for CC's. Even you admit that the referral program makes that problematic, I do not see BW removing the referral program and CC's provided by that program, let alone the stipends that subscribers and security key holders get.

IF any subscriber rewards are made available again via the CM, they should be for real money only and they should cost more than the "subscription reward promotion" would have cost, IMO.

I've no problem with pure cash - just wanted to take the opportunity to point out the referral system is flawed and we have that to thank for the removal of passes imo. :p

Even though I do make nice CC off it, I preferred the barter system that passes presented.

As to cost ... meh I personally don't care though if I were to offer an opinion I would have it around that equivalent subscriber mark just to make it seem more fair to those that very well may have subbed right through solely for the reward.

The word "exclusive" provides the incentive to subscribe because if Johnny does not subscribe at the proper time, he misses out.

The word "free" just means that if Johnny does it now, he doesn't have to pay anything extra. He doesn't have to subscribe at the correct time to get it. He can wait to see if he really likes the reward and then if he likes it and wants it, he can pay a pittance to get it.

Think of the "exclusive" as a limited edition, numbered action figure, signed by the actor that played that character. If you don't get one before they are sold out, you likely will not get one.

The "free" would be more like the newest line of action figures that is released. They'll be around for a while, and you can wait to see the actual action figure before you decide if you like it. If you do, it will likely be in a few weeks or months, so you can pay less than those who had to have it right away.

Maybe it's just me, but the "exclusive" time specific reward promotion provides much more incentive to subscribe.

I understand the difference but to me if you label it exclusive then as a developer you shoe horn yourself into never being able to release it again or lose all/ a lot of credibility when your exclusive rewards tends to not be so exclusive.

ingsoc_XT did make a nice example of a sub reward being offered again after the fact though, though I can't confirm if they ever mentioned that mount to be "exclusive".

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

No it wouldn't. This is pure nonsense. Why would anyone in their right mind want to pay an extra $15-$25 bucks for a companion or jetpack when they can get it for free after subscribing? You have the same incentive to sub as if it's not made available later, and that's that you don't have to pay for it. You're getting it for FREE. F.R.E.E. What is so hard to understand about that?

What's so hard to understand about "stay subscribed during this time period and get "X", stop your sub and get nothing?" BW will never release subscriber specific rewards later because the Finance guys at EA want a dependable revenue stream via subs and allowing sub rewards to be given out later, even if purchased works against that model since subs see that it really doesn't matter to let their sub lapse since they will in the end be able to cherry pick whichever rewards they want. After all $15-$20 is cheaper than being subbed continuously for 12 months to get all rewards.