Voice Actors on strike

ChaosIsGolden

I'm curious, but since it doesn't look like this Voice Actor strike is going to end anytime soon, (see link below for more details). Does that mean we won't see any new content. FP's, OP's, etc. etc. until even longer than promised.

I know the Dev's have been holding the promise of group content out their like a carrot, we are coming out with new group content in the near future, but so far nothing. I'm just wondering if this strike is going to be another detriment on why promised group content got pushed back for another possible year.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/10/22/498954253/voice-actors-strike-against-video-game-companies

IIRC the person does NOT have to be a SAG member to voice games (like movies require). So realistically they could just grab Joe Schmoe off the street and have him record a few lines. EA has in the past used Dev team members to do voicing in games, so that could be an option as well.

Why don't we patiently await their Jan 20 something 24that? 26th? Where they said they'd officially be announcing all the new content through March? They've made an official announcement date, expecting them to announce 2 weeks before is like expecting the bar to let you drink alcohol 2 weeks before you turn legal age. Simply not going to happen.

I'd say they are impacted by the strike but kotet was made during the strike. They may have to settle for less content due to the strike.

Edited by americanaussie

IIRC the person does NOT have to be a SAG member to voice games (like movies require). So realistically they could just grab Joe Schmoe off the street and have him record a few lines. EA has in the past used Dev team members to do voicing in games, so that could be an option as well.

Yeah except the confirmed voice actress on strike Jennifer Hale is a major voice actor for swtor as she plays Satele Shan and the Female Trooper and more.(as she did for other bioware projects)

Plus what you are suggesting applies for new games this is 5 years going so it's hard to proceed with new expansions or story as the main actor is on strike.

Edited by dxlolman
Auto spell check error

$825 for 4 hours is not enough for them, but for many of their customers that is a week or two salary.

They only get paid for the four hours spent in-studio, but it can easily take the equivalent of a week or two for all the auditioning, prep, etc., to get to that point - so their per-hour wage has to be high enough for those studio hours to cover all the unpaid preliminary time that went into the gig as well.

Edited by DarthDymond

They only get paid for the four hours spent in-studio, but it can easily take the equivalent of a week or two for all the auditioning, prep, etc., to get to that point - so their per-hour wage has to be high enough for those studio hours to cover all the unpaid preliminary time that went into the gig as well.

What prep time... 99% of voice actors in games don't even know WHAT their character is supposed to be, do, or is. As for auditioning, that's an interview... I've never been paid for an interview.

Yeah except the confirmed voice actress on strike Jennifer Hale is a major voice actor for swtor as she plays Satele Shan and the Female Trooper and more.(as she did for other bioware projects)

Plus what you are suggesting applies for new games this is 5 years going so it's hard to proceed with new expansions or story as the main actor is on strike.

They could find someone with a similar voice. It's not unheard of. Pretty sure the Republic Droid is a different voice actor for instance (that role has never been credited). It's similar, but there is a difference.

True, main character voices would be harder. At this point though, Shan is gone and probably will be forever at this point. With their horrible story telling, at this point the main character could have an "accident" that changes their voice. And since they do combined stories, it would not be that hard to do. This would change ALL the voice actors for player characters.

What prep time... 99% of voice actors in games don't even know WHAT their character is supposed to be, do, or is. As for auditioning, that's an interview... I've never been paid for an interview.

I keep seeing that claim grow with the telling - yes, there are times when voice actors are not told pertinent information on the role / game, and yes that happens frequently enough to be an issue of contention in the industry, but it's not a universal (or "99%") approach. It happens often enough that SAG wants it to stop, but that doesn't mean it happens nearly every time. You'll often hear VAs mention that they wish they could tell fans about this or that project that they're excited to be working on, but can't talk about publicly yet because of a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

And regardless of whether they know the name of their character or the game they'll be appearing in, there is still prep work - for example, if they're going to be delivering four hours of lines in a Russian accent, you better believe they're prepping that accent.

As for "that's an interview" - that's the difference between that type of contact work compared to continuing employment. Most people working in a continuing employment field go years in between bouts of interviews. In the voice acting business, performers are constantly auditioning because, as you pointed out, each individual gig is only worth the equivalent of a week or two's pay, so they better be out making sure they have another gig lined up after it's done.

• 3 weeks later...
I for one don't want the main characters replaced with scab labor. The companies need to settle this dispute and get them back to work. Voice acting is what makes SWTOR so great and EA needs to realize that without them it's just a sci fi version of WoW. I'd rather not play this game then see the actors replaced. Edited by Lyllianna

I for one don't want the main characters replaced with scab labor. The companies need to settle this dispute and get them back to work. Voice acting is what makes SWTOR so great and EA needs to realize that without them it's just a sci fi version of WoW. I'd rather not play this game then see the actors replaced.

I agree with you, still we're watching a David vs Goliath fight and I'm not sure David will be able to win. :p

EA, before anything else, care about money. Theses guys want to be paid more fairly, but I don't expect EA to care more about people who work for them than for players.

Like every big greedy company, they try to destroy the protest by making it longer, strikers can't stay forever without earning money. My guess is it will end with some bad agreement when strikers will have no other choice but give up, sadly.

I believe I am having a force vision of satele Shan dying or at least going away to never be heard from again.

This is a non-issue. SWTOR isn't on SAG-AFTRA's list of struck games, as technically this game has been in development since 2006, as has been previously stated. Since the game title doesn't change with every expansion (it will always just be SWTOR), it won't be struck.

Regardless of whether the strike succeeds or not, SWTOR will remain unaffected, unless those voice actors want to be the ones to become blacklisted by not holding to the conditions of the contract that they surely signed when they first got into SWTOR.