Newly Subbed player. What to buy with cartel coins?

Dezreale

The vast majority of whats on the Cartel Market is cosmetic fluff. The main items that affect gameplay are the unlocks for F2P and Preferred players which are only necessary for nonsubs. Those would be worth getting if you plan on playing nonsubbed for a while.

As for the color crystal, I don't believe its possible for a color crystal to have Alacrity. Most color crystals in the game now give +41 to a certain stat (Mastery, Endurance, Crit, and Power) and it really doesn't matter what stat you choose on your color crystal, a +41 stat difference is negligible. Its very easy to find color crystals to use, just go to the GTN and search for some, I'm sure there's some relatively cheap ones.

Now when it comes to your Collections I would save a lot of your coins for unlocking items in there. Pretty much everything on the cartel market can be sold on the GTN and Legacy unlocks can be paid with either credits or coins. This means that the only thing in the game that exclusively requires cartel coins is unlocking items from your Collections.

If you aren't aware, Collections are an account wide collection of cartel items that you've acquired. Once a cartel item is bound to a character it gets added to your Collections, you can then make as many copies of that item you want for that character. If you want to use that item on other characters, you have to pay a one time fee of cartel coins to "unlock" that item (this can be up to 400 coins for rare items). Once you do, you can make as many copies as you want on any other characters. Exceptions are Dyes and Tunings, which are not saved in collections at all and armor sets, which you have to collect the entire set and bind it to a character before it gets added to Collections.

I, personally, save a lot of my coins to unlock items from my collections when I acquire them. Once you level up and start making credits, its very easy to find and buy some decent cartel armor sets, color crystals, mounts, etc from the GTN and if you want to use that stuff on other toons you have to unlock it. As for buying directly from the cartel market, I usually save up coins to buy the occasional supercrate or hypercrate. I only buy a super/hypercrate for a pack if they're on sale and if I actually want a lot of the items found in that pack. This way, I have a good chance of getting stuff that I want, and then I can sell the rest later on for credits.

Edited by Anduhar

Getting a Cartel crystal is a good idea, but you are probably better off doing this instead:

1. Buy a Command Boost or a Pack on Cartel Market
  2. Wait 36 hours, then sell Boost or Pack on GTN
  3. Spend some of the credits on a nice Cartel Crystal, save rest

You can probably sell a Command Boost or Pack for 1-2 million credits, which is plenty to get you a nice looking crystal. Remember you only need to buy 1 Cartel Crystal, then use Collection to get a free copy.

My (from an alt-account) old post on this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8259307&postcount=17

I'd change the following:

Treek is no longer worth it (every comp is now role-flexible & overpowered)

And now that we have Outfit Designer and comps not needing gear, less imperative for hide head & unify colors (though still nice to have). And again, those are only useful if you unsub (sub has them by default).

I agree with other poster in that you should get a +41 crystal off GTN then just use CC to unlock. Find a color (or colors) you like. I usually go for Crit+41 ("advanced eviscerating") as it doesn't get level-syn'd like endurance/power/mastery do.

And keeping some CC for the inevitable gear unlocks is a good suggestion. Note, that the unlock fee is (near?) universal: 60 CC for Bronze rarity, 240 CC for Silver, 400 CC for Gold. You can tell from the CM symbol in the corner.

Buying a hyper-crate, or other stuff, just to sell is a good way to make credits. If so, I'd spend some time on your server GTN to get a good feel for credits/CC ratio. I never bothered, so can't give you much more of a tip.

It depends on what you're looking to get out of the Cartel Coins. If you're going for cosmetics (adaptive gear included), then there are plenty of things you can get in packs or under the equipment list. If you want to make credits, your best option would be buying Command Boosts and selling them on the GTN, as they go from about 2-4 million depending on the server (Going for 2.5 mil on my server). Hope I could help :).

Buy the Grand Crystal Pack, I brought about 10 of them last night and got some pretty decent drops from it. Also got amazing drops from the Gold Armor pack so I'd recommend that if you have the cash. I'll make about 100-110 million on the items from last night.

Some people say (how vague this might sound) to buy unlocks from Cartel Coins just in case you become F2P again - but if you want to stay as an subscriber, then this is probably not worth it.

My only real advice is this : Look at the Cartel Market at least once per week, if you can, because they sometimes reduce some things there - sometimes they even do kind of a "flash sale".

The web site of Dulfy often knows about that, so it's a good idea to visit her site from time to time as well, especially since she often lists the contents of new Cartel Packs.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Unlock additional inventory slots, cargo hold bays, and legacy storage bays.

Whatever you unlock, buy the "account" unlock, not the single character unlock. Account unlocks apply to every character on your account, all the ones you have now, plus any you make in the future, on every server. Depending on the unlock, the account version will be a bit less than 3x or a bit less than 4x the cost of the single character unlock.

Character unlocks only apply to that specific character. If you delete the character, all the credits/coins invested in any unlocks are "deleted" as well. So unless you are absolutely certain you will never make more than two characters, and never delete a character and "reroll", it's definitely worth it to buy the account unlocks.

And yes, we're talking about thousands of cartel coins, here, so it also kind of depends on how long you'll be collecting "free" coins for your subscription, and whether and how much you're willing to spend buying more coins. (Add a security key to your account, to get an extra 100 free coins per month).

Whatever you unlock, buy the "account" unlock, not the single character unlock.
100% agree ... well, 99-44/100th's% :)

The ONE place you can get away with a "character" unlock is with the Legacy Storage Bay since it applies to your entire legacy (i.e. any character you make on that server)

However, even there it is nice to by the account unlock in case you decide to go to another server.