The mmorpg genre is finished

neuronfly

Ooh!! Don't say that! It's my first MMORPG (I've been playing since last year) and I've discovered that I like the genre. I get SWTOR popularity is not in the best shape, but I was hoping to try something else if this game dies (fingers crossed for the opposite)

Are you telling me the whole genre is in bad shape? That only the heavy PVP ones (like Overwatch... which is not MMORPG in my opinion) are meant to survive? I ilke PVP now and then, but I don't want it to be the whole deal.

I know I have caught the train 15 years too late, but I was hoping for more stops :rod_eyes_p:

When EQ came out in 1996 at its prime I believe it had over 400k players, Ultima Online had about 250k in its prime. Asheron's Call had around 80k-100k after its release. All three were considered very successful and all three were very fun MMORPGS. WoW was and still is an odd ball when it comes to MMORPG it attracted so many people, and everyone assumed and still assumes this is what you needed for a popular mmo, but you don't.

By the way I believe all three are still running. MMOs are not going anywhere. We may never see a WoW size mmo again but "normal" mmos were never as large as WoW.

Also just to name a few mmos coming out, Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, Star Citizen, Shards Online, Bless, Revelations.....that is just a few.

Edited by Zakka

Yet here you are, playing a MMO. :p

Which is a damn shame. This game would've been a classic if not for the fact that it's an MMO. BW's greed is why the series went down the drain. We'd probably be preparing for its sequel right now instead of going through ridiculously convoluted family soap operas. I shudder at the thought of a Dragon Age MMO.

I'm really hoping Star Citizen will be the shakeup that the genre could use. I was certainly hoping for some aspects of that to be in SWTOR. GSF is not that.

Here are my personal desires as an MMO player:

-High graphics

-Outstanding gameplay & story

-Flexible ways of playing together with friends and strong social tools (guild features, buildings, etc)

-High level of character avatar & clothing customization and some type of "player housing"

-Minimal bugs

-Open & interactive world

-Places for the PVP and PVE community to exist independently within the same game without taking away from either.

-Robust crafting system & player economy

-No traditional "servers" that segregate the community, except possibly for world regions.

I suspect Star Citizen will shake up more than just the MMO genre, but PC games (and funding strategies for PC games) in general. For so long EA and friends have sucked all ambition out of the industry, but SC is pretty much ambition incarnate.

Right now I'd be happy if BW just took CIG's community interaction policies. Now there are some devs who know how to interact with their community (and they even get subs to pay for it...)

It's not quite finished, but the mmorpg genre is dying out. IMO the "themepark" aspect of MMOs is what is really killing the genre. WoW was a phenomenon and huge success (clearly) when it was first released, but then everyone decided to try and copy them. Themeparks pretty much require the use of recycled and/or on-the-rails content in order to stay alive. All themepark games these days are single player objective-based games with a microscopic amount of group content sprinkled in until you finish the "great race" to the endgame, where you play the same endgame content over and over again in order to gear up. We've seen this problem first hand here, we're given on the rails content that is really fun the first few times through, but doesn't have a lot of replayability. The one exception for this game is that the storylines and cutscenes are so good, so they can afford to still continue making that type of content.

I've said it a hundred times before, and I'll say it a hundred more times: SWG (pre-NGE) was the perfect game concept/design for an MMO. A pure sandbox and community-based game. It had many flaws and bugs, the classes were unbalanced as hell, and it was released when MMOs weren't very popular, but the design itself was nearly flawless. The economy was entirely player-run, everything was open-world and sandbox style, houses could be placed all over most planets, housing was completely custom (players made entire sculpture and monument designs out of basic objects because you could place them anywhere), player and guild cities were created, there were many non-combat classes, classes could be mixed and matched for your own unique style, the game required grouping and/or player-to-player interaction in order to progress, space was entirely open world and ships could be customized to your liking...no cash grabs, no useless time sinks (like spending 5 hours of playtime clicking a hotkey to feed my companions gifts), no hand outs...if you wanted a rare item, you would grind for weeks (sometimes months) to get it, rather than MMOs today where you can pay $100 and have the rarest item in the game. I made more lasting friendships in a few years playing SWG than I have in every other PC game I've played combined. My fondest memories out of all the games I've played were going to the doctors/dancers to get our group of bounty hunters buffed up to go take down another player jedi. Once we took the target down, we'd split the bounty profit, and then head back to the cantina and chat up the dancers while our wounds healed before logging off for the night. No other game has been able to deliver that level of freedom and immersion for me.

Apologies for the stereotypical "I miss SWG" rant, but I think if anything could save the MMO genre, it would be a some sort of modern version of what SWG was. I love playing this game and will continue to support it for a long time, but I would happily trade it and every other game installed on my PC for a modernized, balanced, and bug-free version of SWG. :rak_03: Star Citizen does look really promising.

All I'll say is my soccer moms have mostly moved over to twitch and/or app games. Farmville, etc. It's what they have time for.

We used to have a couple of in house WoW guilds. I think we're down to one active one now.

I would have loved to have seen pet battles here.

Everything dies eventually, therefore everything and everyone is "dying"

Well, the Jump & Run genre has basically died out. Compare that to how successful it had been in earlier gaming times ...

The only few survivors oif it are a few Indies, Rayman, and the Giana Sisters. Apart from that ... What once was one of the most colourful and most family-friendly game genres has completely died out on the PC.

On consoles, however ...

In my opinion, which I hold for several years now, the PC is a nowadays very much degenerated platfdorm, because it is dominated like only a certain few game genres. Everthing apart from that has nearlky died out, or lives on only in niches (like in GOG or in Steam, with Valve always saying that some games just don't fit into their target group, which is why you won't find many non-action games like Adventure Games and there).

The big ones in the industry have been more & more following the same pattern : As riskless as possible games, with lots of action, not colourful, and very often shooters and war games and something similar. RPGs as well, but they are still a minority compared to shooters and war games.

In short : They follow "the trail of money".

There is nothing new there anymore, except for Indies, but not at all within bigger companies, for example Unravel was published in a way by EA like an unwanted son.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer