Launcher not responding

DizzyrupTor

Hi all. To cut a short story shorter. Game was running fine (and has for last few months) and so when I logged out last night I didnt expect the launcher to be borked but it is. Done the usual. deleted bitraider, dxdiags, disabled anti-v even deleted the settings doc. nothing to any avail as it seems everytime I go to launch the game the space the launcher occupies on launch is just one big black square and if you click anywhere it says "its not responding"

So thought sod it and uninstalled the game for a fresh install. downloaded the client, reinstalled and,....same thing again. launcher....:(

*nothing has changed since last night except it got turned off then on 9 hours later*

At this point not sure what to do :cool: any advice?

Edited by DizzyrupTor

I am having the same issue the launcher fails to respond. So I made the mistake of uninstalling swtor. I reinstalled Swtor but launcher still unresponsive can't even tell if it is downloading and installing the game. i see the cpu counter and memory counter running but it lists no internet or hard drive usage in task manager on windows 10 x64.

I am having the same issue the launcher fails to respond. So I made the mistake of uninstalling swtor. I reinstalled Swtor but launcher still unresponsive can't even tell if it is downloading and installing the game. i see the cpu counter and memory counter running but it lists no internet or hard drive usage in task manager on windows 10 x64.

yeah pretty much same as me :/

Wish I hadn't unistalled now

What is odd I wouldnt normally associate the below as a login server issue , it should just show a red bar saying unavailable.

"I go to launch the game the space the launcher occupies on launch is just one big black square and if you click anywhere it says "its not responding"

Are you all using the streaming launcher ? only ask as I use the non streaming and maybe why my launcher is ok

Are you all using the streaming launcher ? only ask as I use the non streaming and maybe why my launcher is ok

Not tried that but looking at it now. Checled my setting file and I dont have the same things match regarding

Opening it now it says

{"DevLogin":"","Login":"","EnableAutoEnvironment":"false","LastEnvironment":"","LastProduct":"","loglevels":"INFO,SSNFO,ERROR","P2PEnabled":"false","enableRateLimit":"false","uploadRate":"0","downloadRate":"0","language":"en-us","SpecHash":"","AutoClose":"NONE","KillKillProc":"false","InternalLaunchpad":"null","InternalGamepad":"null","ExternalLaunchpad":"null","ExternalGamepad":"null","LastMode":"PROD","HardPatcherMode":"PROD"}

yet on the guide it says

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

Change to:

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

and

,"bitraider_disable": false

Change to:

, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.

Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher

As you can see mine does not say anything about "PatchingMode" for me to change so Ill try adding the lines myself and see if that helps. I did do an uninstall and then a fresh one straight after so theres nothing there except the launcher and the bits it needs to start but it wont start without giving me the black box where the launcher is.

Ill give it a go now see if it does anything but I am still bemused as to why this happebed in the first place. all i did was logout lol :)

That looks like a launcher.settings file that hasnt been run before , which will be from the re-install you have done

once the launcher is run once the file should look alot cleaner then all in a flow on affect.

Adding the lines after the first run is best , but it is best to look at the log folder initially to try and see what is occuring.

there is also a bitraider log in the bitraider folder called swtor_swtor in case it points to something there.

The launcher uses the chromium framework and can be affected by the antivirus and firewall with settings that normally affect a web browser.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Just wanted to mention the most common issue of causing issues file wise for the launcher is when another program has installed a different version of the chromium files into the windows common path.

the most common one is that a file called libcef.dll is found in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder if one exists there cut it out or delete it as that file should only exist in the program/game folder

Just wanted to mention the most common issue of causing issues file wise for the launcher is when another program has installed a different version of the chromium files into the windows common path.

the most common one is that a file called libcef.dll is found in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder if one exists there cut it out or delete it as that file should only exist in the program/game folder

Thanks Owen. I Just had a look for it and while I have the folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64 there is no libcef.dll there.

Im wondering if this is a windows 10 issue, maybe a recent patch as I do have that on autoupdate?

Just done another clean install and no joy still. Theres no bitraider client in the programs yet as im assuming that onoly comes once the launcher is working so i can log in for it to download.

I am running Bitdefender for antivirus and have checked to make sure swtor isnt black listed and allowed through on its "gamer mode" and have had it running that way for at least a few months without complaint.

Just checked the windows update history and the last one was on the 13th so that rules that out.

The only other option is a system restore back to the 13th to see if that helps but I would hopefully only use that as a last resort.

I keep the pc free of dodgy files and scan anything I download and run a maintenance routing once a month to check for viruses, spyware and all ther other nasty stuff but nothing serious has come up this way either. :o

I agree. Just took bitdefender off and done a 4th uninstall / reinstall and the launcher is now working (not logged in yet)

Seems to have been Bitdefender after all :D Now to see if it will start the long download process :D

logged in, download started. so far so good.

Thanks for your help on this owen, with the game working fine all this time even with bitdefender on I wouldnt have suspected it for a long time :D thank you for pointing those links out.

Edited by DizzyrupTor

Welcome Mate

that is sort of good news, how and why bitdefender is causing issues now I cant help with i'm afraid

It is probably best to talk to the bitdefender people in regards to what occurred so they can identify and sort it

Edited by OwenBrooks

I'm experiencing the same black launch screen, but my computer reads everything is running normally and is trying to load the content but is failing. I am using Windows 10 as well after patch 5.0.1 was installed.

Just to be clear this thread is the launcher being black with Bitdefender as an Antivirus , I gather this is on pressing the play button , in which case follow the directions in this thread for the client_settings file