Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

A Letter/Thread for the Devs

KerrikStarr

why do you people insist on making more of these ' the galactic command system is bad ' threads!

there is no point anymore! they aint gonna remove it, , they have seen what people have said and they are making changes, they have clearly seen it all and they arnt removing it, they are making changes! so stopwith the gosh darn threads already and grow up! realize its here for the long term and either deal with it or unsub and leave...

No. the community is the game, and we as the community are voicing our concerns.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you or your friend are on harbinger, I would gladly bring you with us and teach any fights that aren't known. That's how you increase the amount of people you have to form an ops group, you bring through the people who haven't done it before. So what if you wipe a few times. As long as you did better than the time before we'll keep on going until we get it down

I wish I was in the USA. I used to play on some competitive ranked PvP teams, at a certain level it's harder than doing ops in SWTOR (in WoW I did find way harder fights, expecially playing world first competitive guilds against bugged bosses / new encounters).

In SWTOR, fully my ranked PvP geared characters with a choice to switch to good PvE crafted / reputation gear would not get accepted to do any ops. Sometimes even not accepted in FPs, because I could not link achievements.

Of course I did not have the achievements on ALT#12, I got tired redoing the same stuff to tears. But nope: no achievement, no party.

Edited by Vaerah

Oooh look a special snowflake that needs special gear that they think others shouldnt have. You probably kick people without giving them a chance because they dont know the mechanics. You're not a dev so therefore you have zero right to tell me what I deserve. You don't know how I play the game. If devs think you should be able to earn gear in pvp, or whatever you enjoy, then that's how it will be.

Oooh look another special snowflake that thinks they deserve a trophy just for showing up, and not putting fourth any effort. With your argument that everyone desrves the same regardless of effort you should go walk into the CEO's office of the place you work, and demand him to start paying you the same salary that he makes.

The game, like real life, should duely reward you for your effort and achievements, and not give out participation trophies to every single person that shows up. It's sad that this cancerous logic created by some liberal fantasy has taken root in this game.

Edited by Darkside

If you or your friend are on harbinger, I would gladly bring you with us and teach any fights that aren't known. That's how you increase the amount of people you have to form an ops group, you bring through the people who haven't done it before. So what if you wipe a few times. As long as you did better than the time before we'll keep on going until we get it down

That's a good attitude. Unfortunately not all raiders are like you. Most of them just won't even bother and prefer the easier way: kick the newbs, or leave altogether.

That's why BW created this RNG system imo.

I wish I was in the USA. I used to play on some competitive ranked PvP teams, at a certain level it's harder than doing ops in SWTOR (in WoW I did find way harder fights, expecially playing world first competitive guilds against bugged bosses / new encounters).

In SWTOR, fully my ranked PvP geared characters with a choice to switch to good PvE crafted / reputation gear would not get accepted to do any ops. Sometimes even not accepted in FPs, because I could not link achievements.

Of course I did not have the achievements on ALT#12, I got tired redoing the same stuff to tears. But nope: no achievement, no party.

We have quiet a few aussies and some Germans in our guild! We work around the lag by calling things out in advance. Personally I couldn't deal with the lag but they make it work for them

That's a good attitude. Unfortunately not all raiders are like you. Most of them just won't even bother and prefer the easier way: kick the newbs, or leave altogether.

Im not saying it doesn't happen, just saying I don't think it happens as much as people think. I've joined more pugs than guild runs and I've never been asked to show the achievement. And I never bother with the people who say it's a requirement in chat because I don't support that kind of raiding.

Ideas:

1. Unassembled Gear Token that dropes fix every 10 Command Level at 10, 20 , 30 ..... which you trade in for a gear your choosing (Exp. Head Set, Implant, Mainhand, and so on)

Reasoning: Get rid of RNG without changing the new System.

2. Raise the CXP for Operations.

a. Raise CXP for every Boss so that it is worth trying content that you can´t finish but want to try with your raid group so progress is rewarded

b. Raise CXP in General for Operation as you do for FPs and Uprings because Operations can´t compete with those in gaining CXP which is sad because Operations are a Pillar for the Community especially Guilds holding them together.

3. CXP Bonus for Guilds simply to strengenth Gulids because strong Guilds with Raidgroups organize al lot of acvtivitiy for the community and keep people in the game. Also as it is in my Guild we teach running Operations to new Guildmembers which you can´t do for every Random.

4. Reputation Items in Command Crates - just nooo because Reputation has to be earned not randomly given to you for nothing and for those who already have the reputation it is a waste of a slot in the crate and an insult to our time spend.

5. Announcing a Time Table for 2017 even if it is unsure because guildmembers are leaving my guild where i am admin because they don´t expect a new operation soon. So even saying that a new Operation is coming somewhere between March and June is better then saying nothing until your sure about when it is going to be released.

6. OpenPTS: There are many players that will go on the PTS to test new Expantions and they will find flaws that now have to be found by the Early Access Players. Datamining will happen anyway so why not.

7. Dark vs Light: Remove the Choice and bind it to the Charakters Allignment because on my server mass guilds have decide to simple switch to the Dark Side so that a lot of players followed and that makes the event nearly dead and no fun to play.

So to finish my reply i have to say that i do this to stablize my guild and my raidgroup if not even save those and to what i think make a more active and fun community overall. Also i want to underline the urgency because you can´t see this in your data i hear it in teamspeak you will see it in data if it is already to late. Players leaving!!!

So to aggree with the player who opened the thread at least Point 1,2, and 5 have to be adressed before Christmas or really really at least be announced fix for January to be Changed but really prefered be fixed before Christmas.

Raiders maybe not the mass of players but in my opinion the core of guilds, the ones that aid cassual players the ones that keep the community alive which then attreacts the mass of players. If they are gone....?

Thank you all who read this especially to every developer :) and excuse every misspell or else because English is not my mother language i am from Germany (P.S. Please translate Developer Forum in all Languages)

Live long and prosper SWTOR :)

I'm on Shadowlands, but one night a week we're willing to put together pugs to teach people. I have characters on Harby, but no raid group to work with, but would be happy put together a group there once a week to play through ops and teach.

Not always true. I done operations and I had a friend that was a healer, who had her gear augmented and had the gear that the operation required and do you know what they told her. Sorry no, you haven't done this before so we not taking you and this was a stupid story operation. She made the effort to get the gear and she knew what to do as I taught her what to do on healer but they still refused.

After that day I stopped doing operations as my friends are more important to me than some "idiot" raiders who wouldn't even give her a chance when she had done everything she could to be prepared. So no not all people who do operations will help people.

So I can understand why some people would like the chance to get the gear without having to deal with some raiders and maybe then these people would consider taking them on operations but then again probably not as they "claim" they help people when in truth they don't.

Now I only do hard modes and the times I do operations are with people I know. Never again will I do operations with people who treat people like this.

And as a healer I can tell you I have never ever ever ever ever run into the same thing. I am up front, I say "I have not done this op before so if I need to do anything other than keep everyone alive and not stand in stupid let me know". I have been kicked 0 times. I have seen healers that have done the same thing kicked 0 times. Just because it happened 1 time to someone else does not mean it is the norm at least not on JC, EH or Harbinger.

Edited by HelinCarnate

Glad to see a thread that hasn't (for the most part) devolved into insults and pure useless repetition.

First time poster, long time player.

@DavidvonNaboo

You make great points/suggestions in my mind. Key in my opinion are your points 2, 4 and 5.

Operations need a massive increase. Honestly, I think something like (going off Dulfy's Command rank numbers) SM=3310XP, HM=4290 XP, Nim=4790... i.e. the halfway Tier cost. Of course all contents needs some increases, to stay viable.

Things like the Reputation is what I don't like about the crates. RNG is fine... if you remove all the fluff! Crates don't need Rep, schematics, empty orange shells etc. Gear! That doesn't mean an increase in Greens of course, but you are all smart people and I'm sure can see my meaning.

Others have touched on what I feel the Devs were "trying" to fix. Guilds that only run within themselves, horrid PUG leaders, 1st day Nim clearers (examples, don't yell at me).

Implementation/priorities are the issue right now. We need anew OP, we need a new Warzone, we don't need more uprisings (speed flashpoints?), GSF needs some serious love!

It should of gone; New OP and Warzone, (GSF update somehere). 5.0 release (with tweaks, especially Legacy bound or something for Alts). DvL event..... Perfect... can play the content we have already played (with the aforementioned additions) and get our ranks etc.

One positive: I'm enjoying selecting whatever content is "bonus" and jumping in... with minimal wait times (e.g. guildy and I completed weekly GSF last night in 1 sitting)

FYI: I consider myself a casual: I can only play a couple of hours every other night. I have designated PVP alts, in BiS gear, but I've never done ranked as it intimidates me. I have done all the OPs on HM, Tank and DPS, and maybe half heals.

I am surprised and shocked to learn that there are ******es on the internet and in an MMO who would kick people for whatever reason they decide to do it for. That is completely and totally shocking to learn that is something that exists. Hold on while I look for the sarcasm button.

Yes, there are groups out there that refuse to let people run with them if they do not know the fights or have the achievements. It's their group, their criteria. But there are plenty of guilds that are actively recruiting for new people to join them and run with them to learn the content. The guild I am in on the harbinger, and the raid team I run, have no problems whatsoever teaching people fights and helping new people out. The thing is, you have to be up front and let people know that you haven't done it before. And if you find one of those groups that won't take you because they want to get it done fast and therefore want people experienced, then move on. If you can't find groups on your own that are willing to teach you, join a guild that can and will help you out. But simply because you refuse to take the time to find a guild or a group willing to do that doesnt mean the entire gearing system should be changed to suit you, or that all raiders are elitist ******es or special snowflakes or whatever insult you want to throw at them.

I have no problems with Galactic Command except that there should be some way to guarantee a way to get gear for certain tiers if you arent getting it because of RNG. What I have a problem with is devs saying we can play the game the way we want and earn cxp, and then turn around and nerf stuff because it isnt how they think the game should be played. I have a problem with the fact that if you run a flashpoint that takes as long or longer than a pvp match, you aren't getting an equal amount of cxp. I have a problem with the fact that operations do not reward an amount of cxp that is equal to the amount of time invested in it. If I can run 3-4 warzones or more in the time it would take me to do one operation and get at least twice as much cxp, thats ridiculous.

The CXP system is flawed in the way it rewards experience and that SHOULD be fixed. Otherwise, what is the point of doing anything other than PVP/Ranked PVP if you are wanting to grind CXP levels? The system does not currently reward you for playing the game the way you want, it forces you to play a specific aspect of the game if you want to actually earn a chance at gear. I am sure that those who do ranked pvp and enjoy it dont want to have to be lumped in a group with me because I am forced to do ranked in order to get the best shot at leveling GC.

I guess I'll put my 2¢ in. Soon™ isn't soon™ enough for me. I'm going to let my sub lapse if something isn't done. I'm paid up to the first week of January, but I know they're about to all go on vacation soon (wich will be a big chunk of my play time, since I do have a job) for xmas.

I've was early access on beta, and have played faithfully over the years, except for a break I took because real life is oh so real. Upgraded my pc and came back and dived right back in to the content ( a few months between 2.0-3.0) I have been moved from my original server Ajunta to Jung, then finally took advantage of the cheap server transfers a couple years ago to move to Harbinger in hopes of a better progression team. I was not disappointed and things went smoothly up till the last couple expansions.

I won't address the lack of 8-16m content they have resolved to not provide us. I will talk about gearing though and how this rng single toon crap has really destroyed playing the game for me has done. DvL wasn't my favorite event, but I did it. Not master level, but I created new toons and leveled them up. I had previously had used tokens to created clones and other classes I didn't play before to explore that content. I was a 4/4 all class cheevo prior to 4.0 and did enjoy the story. Now I have 3 mercs and one mando all grinding cxp for a set of gear. I have received 3 non duplicate pieces, and 1 duplicate. I have 70+ levels of command in trying to at least get one gear set for my primary dps, wich I have played since launch. All my alts have sat idle except for those that craft. I bit the bullet and took every crafting schem I was awarded for cxp in hopes of gearing up other stuff eventually, wich in hindsight, 228 was not worth it.

At first the grind wasn't bad. I even did weekly's for pvp on 3 of the mercs, wich I totally dislike. I haven't pvp'd with my merc sing the first couple years because how seriously they were nerfed. I am glad I can hold my own now with the reflect, but that is the only thing viable added to mercs that up survivability. Constantly stunned is still a prob. As the levels progressed though, and the nerfs on gold put in, other content is just not worth the time. GSF pays off better win or loose for a rough 15 min of play (similar to pvp wich is even better) than the other content, None of the content even comes close to pvp for ranking up unless you're farming mobs or something. Simply playing the game for a hour now will NOT rank me up 1 level.

And back to being on Harbinger. I had cxp and conquest points lost in the roll back. Dev stream mentioned put in a ticket for it, but that was a pass the buck, because CS is not dealing with the issues, and we're not getting reimbursed for grinding your content.

Grinding your content for RNG is not a Star Wars game I want to play as I slowly get burned out over doing nothing new, and getting less than expected results. I would raid more, and explore progression more but failure is steep, and doesn't get the snowflake participation trophies you get for loosing at PvP.

I hope Tait and Musco take this to heart, and fix this before going full retard. I honestly know people are quitting because this isn't fun. My friends list has always dwindled over the years, especially with the lack of a new ops. If you are trying to kill this game for the next Star Wars game being developed, I will not, repeat NOT move to the "next" thing. I already did that with SWG as a beta vet and 8 years. You will have destroyed that IP for me online.

I don't want to call BS on you, but achievements are legacy wide.

Anyway, some people are ignorant and thought their comm gear was better than pvp gear or just wanted a run full of "veterans" so they could get carried. Those are mostly exceptions.

There are case of raiders being jerks as there are case of PVPers being trolls and solo players thinking they're entitled to get the best gear just for showing up. But they don't represent the majority, I can assure you. I've raided a lot and never kicked anybody because he was a noob and I don't know of anybody on my server who did. There might probably be one, but that's just another exception.

Mmm...I had wondered about how they said that they'd reimburse us for the rollback. I didn't bother to submit a ticket even though I'm missing purple bracers. I mostly lost time. 4 chapters, 1 level, and 3 command levels and a companion affection level. How would they compensate for that? We should get cxp boost for free (2x as we lost 6 hrs) but that doesn't recover lost items.

Ok I'll stop being a troll and legit honestly say I think the reason everyone can access "bis" gear is because they did away with all special gear sets for pvp etc. Everyone is now going for the same gear set since pvp uses the same stats as PVE. I'm happy about this change as it encourages pvp. And yes newbies will pvp but they will get better as they play. Wzs be popping.

They've said solo players will take eons to earn their gear so there's that. Now I don't know if raiders who do ops solely do it for gear. The way people are passionate about getting new ops made me think they just love doing the ops. Maybe it's the gear they love and a random crate isn't worth their time in an ops. Ok. I get it. But maybe ops should drop other amazing things instead of gear. I won't suggest anything as I don't know what would make it worthwhile. As for new ops, I think everyone here has been right. They aren't saying ops so there will probably be no new ops.

Right now I'm on crappy drop out telstra Internet. Maybe on Dec 20 I'll ask in my guild about learning ops. Maybe I'll be brave and try my luck at uprisings. Maybe I'll switch my operative back to heals and try my luck as a healer. I found ch 15 in kotfe too difficult for a healer so I switched. I did well in pvp on heals so I'd probably do well on other group things too. I think her damage is too low to even consider doing any ops or uprisings with her. And I'm avoiding uprisings on my sentinel since people said it's impossible if you get stuck in a 4 dps group. I don't wish to annoy or inconvenience other players in the game.

Pot, meet Kettle. You're basically saying you "deserve" gear you haven't earned. That sounds exactly like what an entitled snowflake would say.

This, this, this, so much this. Why do people demand BiS gear for completing low level heroics or story chapters? If that's all the content they do, why on Earth do they even NEED BiS gear? As far as I can tell, it's just to say that they have it, so it's e-peen points and nothing more.

The only people who can argue they 'need' BiS gear are 1) people trying to tackle the hardest endgame PvE content since it's tuned based on the assumption people will have the gear, and 2) ranked PvPers, because every little edge counts a lot. That's it, no one else 'needs' it.

If you don't want to run HM/NiM ops, fine. If you don't want to run ranked PvP, fine. But don't throw a tantrum and insist you 'deserve' a BiS participation trophy just for logging in and AFKing out of a GSF/regular PvP match rather than doing something that actually requires effort.

Edited by AscendingSky

This, this, this, so much this. Why do people demand BiS gear for completing low level heroics or story chapters? If that's all the content they do, why on Earth do they even NEED BiS gear? As far as I can tell, it's just to say that they have it, so it's e-peen points and nothing more.

The only people who can argue they 'need' BiS gear are 1) people trying to tackle the hardest endgame PvE content since it's tuned based on the assumption people will have the gear, and 2) ranked PvPers, because every little edge counts a lot. That's it, no one else 'needs' it.

If you don't want to run HM/NiM ops, fine. If you don't want to run ranked PvP, fine. But don't throw a tantrum and insist you 'deserve' a BiS participation trophy just for logging in and AFKing out of a GSF/regular PvP match rather than doing something that actually requires effort.

Have you done veteran mode? Um that right there requires some effort so stop right there. I'm pretty sure you get squat if you AFK during PVP. You need to medal to get anything. Ranked pvp is for premade groups. no one wants solo pvpers joining the queue. If you can't handle the fact that other people may get what you get but through other means then leave. Simple as that. Stop worrying about what someone else has and how they acquired it (unless it was via an exploit) and just focus on yourself. You'll be happier in all aspects of life. It's like a construction worker or a nurse who spends 12 hrs on their feet working their butts off compared to an Executive who sits at a desk for 7-8 hrs, making 5 million more than they do. Is it fair that the Executive makes more money for sitting on his butt all day while nurses, teachers, and other workers don't even get proper lunch or toilet breaks and some make less than 50k? Meh, this is the world we live in. Focus on yourself, and not on others.

Have you done veteran mode? Um that right there requires some effort so stop right there. I'm pretty sure you get squat if you AFK during PVP. You need to medal to get anything. Ranked pvp is for premade groups. no one wants solo pvpers joining the queue. If you can't handle the fact that other people may get what you get but through other means then leave. Simple as that. Stop worrying about what someone else has and how they acquired it (unless it was via an exploit) and just focus on yourself. You'll be happier in all aspects of life. It's like a construction worker or a nurse who spends 12 hrs on their feet working their butts off compared to an Executive who sits at a desk for 7-8 hrs, making 5 million more than they do. Is it fair that the Executive makes more money for sitting on his butt all day while nurses, teachers, and other workers don't even get proper lunch or toilet breaks and some make less than 50k? Meh, this is the world we live in. Focus on yourself, and not on others.

You never learn. You're right back to white knighting, after admitting you were wrong a few days ago and saying you weren't going to be nasty anymore. :D

Also? Yes, real life is often unfair and often unfun. However, comma, people play games to get away from real life for a while, for escapism. So games should be fair, and games should be fun. Otherwise, what's the point of playing a game? We could just do our tax returns or wash the dishes instead, or any other chore.

Because that's what a game without fairness or fun is. A CHORE.

You never learn. You're right back to white knighting, after admitting you were wrong a few days ago and saying you weren't going to be nasty anymore. :D

Also? Yes, real life is often unfair and often unfun. However, comma, people play games to get away from real life for a while, for escapism. So games should be fair, and games should be fun. Otherwise, what's the point of playing a game? We could just do our tax returns or wash the dishes instead, or any other chore.

Because that's what a game without fairness or fun is. A CHORE.

Can you please define white Knighting? I'd think it's rising to bws defense. This to me isn't defending bw. I just would like a chance to earn set gear doing what I like to do in the game especially now that master mode and veteran mode will be difficult. I want to earn my gear and let it give me some bravery to test out harder content where a team depends on me. I hear gear is just as important as skill with people begging others to be geared right. I'm not white Knighting in blind support of bw. This is actually just my opinion. Please don't use white Knight as an insult to blindly throw at people who have different opinions to yours. I'm not arguing that bw is the most fantastic company or that ops are coming in Jan because Charles hinted multiplayer stuff. I just like being able to earn gear that everyone else earns and maybe when I get my set gear I'll try ops. :o

Can you please define white Knighting? I'd think it's rising to bws defense. This to me isn't defending bw. I just would like a chance to earn set gear doing what I like to do in the game especially now that master mode and veteran mode will be difficult. I want to earn my gear and let it give me some bravery to test out harder content where a team depends on me. I hear gear is just as important as skill with people begging others to be geared right. I'm not white Knighting in blind support of bw. This is actually just my opinion. Please don't use white Knight as an insult to blindly throw at people who have different opinions to yours. I'm not arguing that bw is the most fantastic company or that ops are coming in Jan because Charles hinted multiplayer stuff. I just like being able to earn gear that everyone else earns and maybe when I get my set gear I'll try ops. :o

The kicker is, with this system, you could open 300 boxes and never get set gear. You could open 300 boxes and get nothing but greens and jawa junk. Or, even worse, you could get the same set piece 300 times in a row.

At least with the old system, if you raided with a set group of people, you were pretty much guaranteed to upgrade your gear.

And if you find the game a chore, then quit. I've done so many times.

That's what me and others are doing. We're going to let our subscriptions lapse. Enjoy our absence, because once enough of us leave, then the game is over, no matter how much you personally like it.

Telling people "If you don't like it then just leave!" is not a constructive solution, or a way to make the game better. It's just dismissive.

The kicker is, with this system, you could open 300 boxes and never get set gear. You could open 300 boxes and get nothing but greens and jawa junk. Or, even worse, you could get the same set piece 300 times in a row.

At least with the old system, if you raided with a set group of people, you were pretty much guaranteed to upgrade your gear.

I've been trying to get this same point through people's heads over and over, but they don't seem to want to listen.

That's what me and others are doing. We're going to let our subscriptions lapse. Enjoy our absence, because once enough of us leave, then the game is over, no matter how much you personally like it.

Telling people "If you don't like it then just leave!" is not a constructive solution, or a way to make the game better. It's just dismissive.

I won't enjoy or not enjoy anyone's absences. I'm not trying to be dismissive. I'm just rationalizing. They made it so that you can do whatever you want and gear up. How does that make the game a chore? Fwiw if you found pvp, ops, etc etc to be a chore then why stay? I'm not a continuous subscriber but I'm a founder. I stay and go as the mood suits me. They have said they're thinking up a system to help balance out bad rng luck. They are closely monitoring it and have said they've discussed boosting set bonus piece chances or providin tokens to exchange to complete the set for those who have 250 boots, 6 head gear, etc thry need more than a week to check that out.

Do you do ops solely to gear? Are ops a chore to get gear and now it's a not worthwhile chore? I found grinding heroics for crystals to be a chore. And yes grinding them for cxp to be a bigger chore. I will likely do something else. But if all those things story, uprisings, flashpoints, ops, pvp are a chore then definitely quit. Thsee things may change some buy they aren't going to change entirely.

I won't enjoy or not enjoy anyone's absences. I'm not trying to be dismissive. I'm just rationalizing. They made it so that you can do whatever you want and gear up. How does that make the game a chore? Fwiw if you found pvp, ops, etc etc to be a chore then why stay? I'm not a continuous subscriber but I'm a founder. I stay and go as the mood suits me. They have said they're thinking up a system to help balance out bad rng luck. They are closely monitoring it and have said they've discussed boosting set bonus piece chances or providin tokens to exchange to complete the set for those who have 250 boots, 6 head gear, etc thry need more than a week to check that out.

Do you do ops solely to gear? Are ops a chore to get gear and now it's a not worthwhile chore? I found grinding heroics for crystals to be a chore. And yes grinding them for cxp to be a bigger chore. I will likely do something else. But if all those things story, uprisings, flashpoints, ops, pvp are a chore then definitely quit. Thsee things may change some buy they aren't going to change entirely.

I have explained this to you at least three times now, and at least a dozen times on the forums as a whole. I'm tired of repeating myself. If you refuse to actually hear what I'm saying (or read what I'm typing), then there's no point in talking anymore.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.